I have trouble believing this . . .

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:19 pm
Get, ready, folks --

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/30/us-usa-poll-evolution-idUSBRE9BT0LC20131230

Quote:

One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows
BY CHRIS FRANCESCANI

(Reuters) - One-third of Americans reject the idea of evolution and Republicans have grown more skeptical about it, according to a poll released on Monday.

Sixty percent of Americans say that "humans and other living things have evolved over time," the telephone survey by the Pew Research Center's Religion and Public Life Project showed (Click here for the full survey).

But 33 percent reject the idea of evolution, saying that "humans and other living things have existed in their present form since the beginning of time," Pew said in a statement.

Although this percentage remained steady since 2009, the last time Pew asked the question, there was a growing partisan gap on whether humans evolved.

"The gap is coming from the Republicans, where fewer are now saying that humans have evolved over time," said Cary Funk, a Pew senior researcher who conducted the analysis.

I mean, even if it is mostly the moss-backed Republicans, is this for real??
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,237 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 08:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It might be that a certain group of republicans within the party no longer chooses to call themselves republicans (probably switching to independents), thus leaving more of a "certain type" of republican behind to represent the party Wink
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 10:22 pm
Most people are brain dead a conclusion that I reached at a fairly young age.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2013 10:23 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Most people are brain dead a conclusion that I reached at a fairly young age.

That is pretty much the correct interpretation of the article.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:50 am
@Lustig Andrei,

I am a Goldwater supporting white Republican Protestant
who believes in the evolution of biological species.
Every right wing Republican of whom I know believes in biological evolution.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 01:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Was the survay influenced by those who paid for it ?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 09:41 am
@Lustig Andrei,
I skimmed an article on that and seem to remember that the survey contacted 2000 people. Maybe I missed mention of more people. Anyway, I don't take it too seriously. Maybe it's an indicator, depending on the survey process.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 09:43 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Quote:

One-third of Americans reject evolution, poll shows

(Reuters) - One-third of Americans reject the idea of evolution and Republicans have grown more skeptical about it, according to a poll released on Monday.
"The gap is coming from the Republicans, where fewer are now saying that humans have evolved over time," said Cary Funk, a Pew senior researcher who conducted the analysis.

I mean, even if it is mostly the moss-backed Republicans, is this for real??

it matches what I see online

definitely one benefit (?) of having one FB account that no one really knows
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 08:34 pm
@ehBeth,
Right. I see it online, too, but always assumed these were aberrations of a minority. We're talking about significant numbers of people here. Are we regressing or what?
Ceili

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 08:51 pm
When I was in Ireland a few years ago, they published a similar poll. And similarly, it was a the same group of people who believed the same malarkey. White protestants. Why are these people so stubborn?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2013 09:44 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Are we regressing or what?

Depends on how you define "regressing".
JTT

Reply Wed 1 Jan, 2014 08:02 pm
@Ticomaya,
Depends on how you define "regressing".

In possession of a mind like Tico's is one good definition.
0 Replies