Are you disappointed 21st century tech is not as advanced and/or as sophisticated as you expected?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I forgot it was Harding who attacked Kerrigan. Harding is a short blonde, Kerrigan is a tall brunette.

The scandal between these two transpired decades ago.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:26 pm
@JGoldman10,
Harding is 5'1
Kerrigan is 5'4" - not exactly tall.

Just a 3 inch difference in height.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Actually I think I do recall seeing an ad for I, Tonya a couple of years back on TV. I probably forgot about it and dismissed it. They show so much stuff on TV these days I don't pay attention to all of it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:29 pm
@Sturgis,
Whatever, that's not important. I remember Kerrigan being taller than Harding. Harding was the villainess in the scandal.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:31 pm
@JGoldman10,
I do, but it’s not a point worth mentioning, honestly it’s not.

You want the same face throughout so as not to confuse people. It happened in the 90s, not everyone knows what Harding really looked like.

Showing real footage at the end just puts the reality next to the portrayed, it’s different, not the same thing at all. The real Tina Turner turns up in the biopic about her right at the end to. It reinforces that they’re real people, that this story really happened.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
Harding played no active part in the film's production. Robbie played Harding throughout the film, in both the 90s scenes and the 2016 interviews.

A stunt actor performed the more difficult ice skating in the film. The triple axel jump, originally done by Harding in the 90s, was done with computer effects for the film, as the only skaters who can perform the trick were training for the Olympics at the time.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Woody Harrelson portrays Larry Flynt in The People Vs. Larry Flynt. Didn't they show an image of the real Flynt towards the end of the movie?

I don't remember. I didn't see the whole movie. Nor do I ever intend to. I watched part of it out of curiosity.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
I, Tonya did use old news footage in the end credits, partly to point out that the filmmakers did not exaggerate some scenes.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So they had a third woman portraying Harding. I'm confused - who performed the triple axe jump?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
For the film, Robbie did the Triple Axel jump, presumably with stunt wires and a slow motion camera.

Computer effects were added to be more thematic.

According to IMDB, Margot Robbie played Tonya Harding from her late teens to her mid 40s, while stunt actress Jenn A Harris did the more difficult ice skating.

Tonya Harding herself only appeared in archived footage in the end credits.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:56 pm
@JGoldman10,
All I know is Larry Flynt played the part of a judge in the film.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 02:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So for Harris' parts they created a deepface of Harding for her too?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
The filmmakers superimposed Robbie's face onto Harris.

Harding's actual face was not used or seen in the film except in the end credits.

Funny enough, for the film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, Robbie played actress Sharon Tate, but the film used Tate's performance from the 1968 film The Wrecking Crew instead of replacing her with Robbie. This was done out of respect for Tate who was murdered.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay I get it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Synthetic media has been around since the early '90s at least, probably even earlier.

What type of synthetic media was used for Forrest Gump? There were scenes in the movie in which Hanks either appears around or is interacting with real historical figures.

I remember the scene in which Gump is shaking hands with President Kennedy.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:39 pm
Was Max Headroom considered a synthetic media character? I know he was a pseudo-AI one.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 03:42 pm
@JGoldman10,
According to Wikipedia:

Using CGI techniques, it was possible to depict Gump meeting deceased personages and shaking their hands. Hanks was first shot against a blue screen along with reference markers so that he could line up with the archive footage. To record the voices of the historical figures, voice actors were filmed and special effects were used to alter lip-syncing for the new dialogue.

Archival footage was used and with the help of such techniques as chroma key, image warping, morphing, and rotoscoping, Hanks was integrated into it.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 04:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I think those same CGI techniques were used in the making of The Mask and Space Jam. I know texture mapping was used for certain scenes in Space Jam, like when they cartoonified Michael Jordan.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 04:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Was Max Headroom considered a synthetic media character? I know he was a pseudo-AI one.

Digital technology wasn't sophisticated enough for actual virtual reality characters back in the '80s. They pitted a live actor wearing foam rubber against a fake CGI background that was hand-animated. They also used clever video editing to heighten the illusion.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2020 04:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Most major Hollywood films nowadays use CGI in some way, as a major part of production (see: every modern Marvel/DC film) or correct/changes the background of a film (see: the 1970s neighborhood in the film Zodiac).