How do you feel about the Russians wanting to launch "space billboards" up in space as soon as 2021?

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 08:50 pm
Hi. Fairly recently I learned that a Russian company wants to launch "space billboards" up in space as soon as 2021:

https://video.cobramcourier.com.au/show/111626

http://astronomy.com/news/2019/01/billboards-in-space

I do not like the idea. I do not want to look at the night sky and see a giant brand name logo hovering in the sky above me. That to me is weird, creepy and unsettling. The space billboards, to me, sound like something out of a weird dream or a sci-fi movie.

I am not surprised by the advents in tech, but space billboards would be a waste- there's already enough junk up there in space, as pointed out here:

It would also be bad for the environment- light pollution from the billboards would also block out light from the stars.

What would be the point of the billboards? My mother thinks the Russians might be using the billboards as a means to spy on people. You have a company wanting to invest and spend millions to billions, I presume, on something the word doesn't need. We have enough billboards and other forms of advertising down here on earth.

How do you feel about the billboards? Please help- thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,662 • Replies: 26
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 09:01 pm
@JGoldman10,
That is both horrible and kind of cool at the same time.

I hope this never happens... but it is a kind of cool idea.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 20 Jun, 2019 09:23 pm
@maxdancona,
I hope it DOESN'T happen, and I hope this is just speculation. The world does not need that junk, especially when there's already a bunch of space debris floating around in space above the earth's atmosphere.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 01:00 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't think they'd bother using billboards to spy on people, not when there's perfectly good spy satellites already doing the job.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:08 pm
@izzythepush,
There's already enough crap floating around in space above the earth's atmosphere as I already mentioned- broken up satellites and other debris.

Did you watch the video in the link I provided?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:26 pm
Is there any truth to the idea that Russians REALLY want to launch "space billboards" up in space as soon as 2021, or is that just a rumor?

A lot of things get posted about and talked about online, but aren't necessarily true.

I recently posted about this on Yahoo! Answers:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20190621030438AABmVye

What do you people think?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
No I didn't. I have a lot of work on right now and not much free time.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:33 pm
@izzythepush,
Okay, no problem. I think you should check it out when you get the chance. You could learn something.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
I might well do that, but not for a few weeks. I'm not up for taking in any new information right now. What I'm doing is mentally quite exhausting, lot of work, tight schedule for a short period of time. I'll be done come August.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 12:51 pm
@izzythepush,
Okay. I have been very busy lately also. As of the time of the making of this post, I have more things that NEED to get done vs. things I WANT to get done.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 01:17 pm
@izzythepush,
The billboards would be a huge waste of time, money and resources. All that money that would be put into creating and launching them could and should be used for something USEFUL.

You know- like containing environmental problems and concerns, feeding and clothing poor and needy people and making sure these people get the proper medical and dental supplies and care and clean drinking water, etc.

I recall reading about a super-earth that was purportedly made of diamond a couple of years ago:

https://www.space.com/18011-super-earth-planet-diamond-world.html

If this planet is REALLY made of diamond, NASA should invest time and money and resources into sending satellites to examine the planet and rovers and probes to mine it and harvest the space diamonds. Assuming they can GET to the planet.

A LOT of poor and needy people on Earth could benefit from the space diamonds. Scientists could help contain a lot of the world's problems with the use and aid of space diamonds.

These suggestions would be a better use of money, time and resources than creating and launching "space billboards".
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 01:19 pm
@JGoldman10,
How could the poor and needy benefit from space diamonds? They can't eat them.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 03:53 pm
@izzythepush,
The space diamonds should be taken to appraisers to out how much they are worth, and should also be studied to determine their physical properties, chemical properties and/or whatever other types of properties they may possess.

The diamonds MIGHT have special properties the scientists aren't aware of at first.

Perhaps the scientists would discover they have special uses for the diamonds.

Some of the diamonds should be cashed in at least. The poor and needy COULD benefit from the money.

The scientists, dental and medical people, etc. could use the diamonds in a way to produce MORE food, clothing, shelter and more medical and dental supplies and more medical and dental care for the poor and needy.

Maybe the scientists could use the diamonds to produce SUPER fruits and vegetables and other foods- foods LARGE enough to feed entire villages, at least.

Who knows? Maybe scientists could derive special HEALTH/DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS from the diamonds.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 04:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
I think we'd be better off finding solutions on Earth rather than going after diamonds with alleged properties.

Lots of things could be cashed to pay the poor and needy, like diamonds already here. What makes you think space diamonds won't end up in the hands of the rich like their terrestrial counterparts?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 10:56 pm
@izzythepush,
Yes, the scientists and other people need to deal with stuff here on Earth first.

Environmentalism is somewhat of a big issue now as far as I know. I know fracking was a big environmental concern a few years ago. People are talking about global warming and the melting of the polar ice caps. As far as I know, the Japanese government is still working on decontaminating and cleaning up Japanese waters that were polluted with radiation leakages- they are still working on containing the mess.

Unfortunately, in some third-world countries, terrorists hijack the stuff poor and needy people need.

Christians need to pray the poor and need get the stuff and help they need.

Pray that the Christian missionaries and/or evangelists are able to get the stuff these people need and get them the medical and dental help and attention they need with no problem.

Space diamonds would probably be worth MORE than any earth diamond.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 10:58 pm
@izzythepush,
Getting back to the main topic, do you think the Russians are SERIOUS about wanting to launch "space billboards" or do you think that's just speculation floating around the Internet?

A lot of things get reported and talked about online, but that does not make them true.
laughoutlood

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2019 11:25 pm
They could use the diamonds on biblical signs : all that glisters is not gold.

Twinkle, twinkle, little sign,
Spieling out matters divine!
Up above the world so high,
With those diamonds in the sky.
Twinkle, twinkle, oh so fine,
All the wonder's thou and thine!
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 04:23 am
@JGoldman10,
I have no idea, but with the state of the Russian economy I doubt they'd be wasting money on something like this.

If it is to happen I suspect someone like Richard Branson or Elon Musk will be behind it.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 04:25 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't trust Christian missionaries, they tend to be more interested in saving souls than saving lives.

I give my money to non religious aid groups like Plan and Unicef.

Send them bread, not bibles.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 22 Jun, 2019 02:37 pm
@izzythepush,
I don't agree with what you said about Christian missionaries.

There is this one White American couple I know of who are Christian missionaries and live in work in Haiti. They initially went over to Haiti to help as many folks over there as they could and left and then decided to live permanently in Haiti to continue to help as many people in Haiti as they can:

https://loveachild.com/about-bobby-sherry/
http://www.daystar.com/shows/love-a-child-with-bobby-and-sherry-burnette/
https://truthem.org/about/missionaries/

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/s36/MAvericker/1/3d25159e-c45b-467c-a68e-6645c4a19797-original.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Have you heard of Bobby and Sherry Burnette? They are full-time Christian missionaries who work and live in Haiti.

If God called them to live and work in Haiti as full-time missionaries who am I to say anything about it?

There are OTHER Christian missionaries I have seen on Christian TV who have reached out to help as many people in foreign countries as they can.

There are Christian evangelists I have seen on Christian TV who do the same thing.