Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:54 am
@JGoldman10,
This is confusing. So if you are a Christian, then shouldn't you follow the word of the Holy Spirit, brought to you by your mother?

If she said this years ago, then why are you still trying to be an animator/cartoonist? And your mother didn't say anything before you went to a New York art school?
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:07 pm
@Rebelofnj,
She didn't discuss the toons and comics I wanted to develop years ago when I was in art school.

She talked to me about my material only a few years ago.

This has nothing to do with what I just asked.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
What do you mean ‘special needs?’

My younger son is autistic, he has special needs.

You shouldn’t use the term unless you’re talking about someone who genuinely has special needs, not just someone who is a complete pain.

If your brother really did have special needs you should have been more understanding.

If not then please stop using it in a pejorative manner, it’s offensive.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:34 pm
@izzythepush,
Sigh. I didn't want to say this, but did you ever see the movie Rain Man, or the film What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

These films should give you an idea of what I was dealing with.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
I have no idea why the classic cartoons were popular in the 80s. I assume it is because of TV reruns when there was not enough original programming.

And from what I can find, Disney has been trying to produce Who Framed Roger Rabbit? throughout the 80s. Classic cartoons' TV popularity had nothing to do with it. Disney was also trying to find a way to save its animation department after their 1985 film The Black Cauldron became a box office bomb and nearly shut down the studio.

Disney has slowly added some of the Fox animated films and shows to Disney Plus like Ice Age and the 90s X-Men show.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:51 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:52 pm
I wonder if animation historians make a lot of money. I did consider being one and writing some books.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:54 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

And from what I can find, Disney has been trying to produce Who Framed Roger Rabbit? throughout the 80s.

I know about the history of that. I read a couple of articles on it.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:59 pm
@izzythepush,
People are still producing animation and comics and video games in light of the Covid-19 crisis. They are still working.

I presume they are producing this stuff from home if they aren't already. At least they are working.

As I said people still need to make a living.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:05 pm
@JGoldman10,
Then why did you say "the big interest in classic Hollywood cartoons are big reasons why films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Space Jam came out" when that isn't the case for Roger Rabbit?

Yes, we all know animators and comic creators are working from home. Most of them have been doing that for years, as discussed with you before. Disney has been releasing several Frozen shorts online on YouTube, with the animators and actor Josh Gad working at home.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Stop considering and start doing, just don’t expect to make as much as you would stacking shelves at a supermarket.

I’m not being mean when I say that.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:00 pm
So this is timely.
I have been watching Prop Culture, a documentary series on Disney Plus, and it is about looking at the history of props of several Disney films.

One episode was about Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and its props. There was an interview with famed animator Andreas Deja, who drew a new sketch of Roger for the show. There was also interviews with animators Michael Giaimo and Chris Buck, both of them worked on Jessica Rabbit. They are still with Disney; their most recent film was Frozen II. Christopher Lloyd (Judge Doom), Kathleen Turner (Jessica Rabbit), and Charles Fleischer (Roger Rabbit) also did new interviews with the props and costumes they used.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:30 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I recall watching a special on CBS years ago called Roger Rabbit and the Secrets of Toontown. It was a special explaining how Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was made.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:34 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not a history expert. In the original book Roger Rabbit was based on the Toons were comic strip characters, not Hollywood cartoon characters. The filmmakers probably thought the story would work better if the Toons were actual Hollywood cartoon characters. Characters most people know and recognize.

I meant to say the film could have only come out at a time when classic Hollywood cartoon characters were popular.

The same with Space Jam.

0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:36 pm
@izzythepush,
Tell that to the dozens of indie animators and comics people whose work has been showcased in videos on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe, etc., who have videos that have generated at least a million views each.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:39 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't care about Frozen.

So all those new Looney Tunes shorts and other shorts produced by major studios are all produced by people working from home?
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:40 pm
@JGoldman10,
Dozens out of how many?

Do you think your preachy brand of joyless scripture will get many followers?

Your expectations are unrealistic, you’re like a kid in the 60s going to San Francisco to be the next big thing.

Lots of people win the lottery.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I wonder if WB has a series similar to Prop Culture on their streaming service.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:48 pm
@izzythepush,
If they weren't Christian they would still make a lot of money. You're assuming I am going to make Christian stuff.

Most of the ideas I had for projects were not Christian.

I have a sense of humor and I know how to make things interesting.

A pastor I had years ago told me I "was sitting on a diamond".
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:57 pm
@JGoldman10,
No. Those Looney Tunes shorts were made months ago. As someone who went to art school, then you should know it takes a couple of months to produce these shorts.

The Frozen shorts I mentioned are not exactly complex to make. From the looks of it, the shorts are made using assets made for the films. And each short is about a minute long.