Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 05:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know about the animation process, thank you.

I don't see how knowing that has to do with when those Looney Tunes shorts were made.

I haven't been keeping up with everything going on in animation.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 05:46 pm
@izzythepush,
Think what you want. I'm too old to argue with people.

I have the potential to be a good actor. I've been practicing. I would still like to get training to learn how to voice act professionally.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 05:54 pm
@JGoldman10,
Ignoring the YouTube creators, look at all of the professionally made cartoons made for cable, broadcast, and streaming.

How many of them are actually successful and have a strong fanbase?

Not even all of Disney's animated films are successful. I doubt many people fondly remember The Black Cauldron or Home on the Range.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 05:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't keep up what with all the major animation projects as well. But because you keep asking for more details about these major animations, I know by osmosis when I look them up on Google.

Watching 45 Disney animated films in 3 weeks (so far) and some of the behind the scenes footage also gives me some idea how the films are made.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 06:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
It would be nice if WB had a BTS program explaining how Space Jam, Looney Tunes: Back In Action and other WB feature animated films were made on HBO Max.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 06:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
Most films in general already have behind the scenes documentaries in the DVD special features. Disney put some of that on their streaming service for some of the films.

Prop Culture only shows the props used in the films and talk with the cast and crew about the props. Disney already have a more extensive doc for Roger Rabbit in the Extras section of the film.

Disney is planning to release an 8 part series about the making of Frozen II next month. Which sounds extensive, but the Beauty and the Beast Blu-Ray has several hours of behind the scenes footage, including alternate opening and early versions of the film.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 01:58 am
@Rebelofnj,
They have BTS videos on YouTube for WB feature animated films. I've seen some of the ones for Back in Action.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 03:15 pm
@izzythepush,
I am good at writing and drawing. I do have a sense of humor. I'm serious when I need to be. I'm not always Mr. Deadpan all the time.

With things being the way they are because of the Covid-19 crisis and with a bunch of personal business matters I need to deal with I am trying to work towards getting some toons and/or comics developed when I have the time for it.

As I explained already, it was difficult for me to function dealing with my brother when he was around and sometimes with my mother. I am not going to go into when my brother did when he was around but it was disgusting and horrible. He was constantly creating a hostile, toxic environment and put my mother and I through unnecessary changes because he was selfish and nasty. His reasoning skills were off. It was disgusting trying to deal with my mother sometimes- she physically, literally take care of herself. I had to act like her personal caregiver.

I gave into bouts of depression. Why would I want to and how could I focus on getting any toons and comics developed being around such abnormal conditions?

This situation affected my health. There was way too much confusion and clutter in my house. The day my mom left to be sent away into intensive care and the day my sister came and got my brother, local police wanted to condemn my house- they wanted to code my house as "uninhabitable".

I should have had my own place a long time ago but I didn't think that living at home I was going to be subject to a bunch of changes.

I hope you get what I'm saying.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 05:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
So get on with it. I’m currently working on my second novel. It’s finished but not quite ready, as well as proof reading I’m rewriting paragraphs and getting rid of plot holes. I thought I’d be done by the end of May but July/August looks more likely, but it will be out there on Kindle soon.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 20 May, 2020 05:48 pm
@izzythepush,
I am.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 03:24 am
@JGoldman10,
Good. Look I’m not criticising you for anything I’m not guilty of myself. I procrastinate too and find excuses for not doing things.

My greatest excuse at the moment is that The Kid is on the computer working from home so I can’t use it during office hours.

I could always stay up all night, but no, that’s too much.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 09:07 am
@JGoldman10,
Recently, The Hollywood Reporter did a poll regarding HBO MAX.

According to the 500+ page report, 9% of all adults and 18% of adults age 18-34 are much more likely to subscribe to HBO MAX because of the new Looney Tunes shorts.

For comparison, under "Much More Likely to Subscribe"
DC films: 9% all adults, 16% Age 18-34
The show Friends: 8% all adults, 15% Age 18-34
Game of Thrones: 10% all adults, 16% Age 18-34
Harry Potter: 14% all adults, 19% Age 18-34

The survey also goes into detail on who the respondents are, by age group, generation, religion, political views, subscribers of other services, etc.

To add, 49% of Generation Z are likely (total "much more" and "somewhat more") to subscribe because of Looney Tunes, as well as 24% of Generation Z, and 34% Millennials.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/friends-not-hbo-maxs-main-draw-launch-poll-finds-1295354
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 21 May, 2020 09:19 am
@Rebelofnj,

Quote:
'Friends' Not HBO Max's Main Draw Ahead of Launch, Poll Finds

That gives me hope for this world.

I'm subscribing mainly because they will be the legal rights owner to stream all the Studio Ghibli films.

And yes, I see a fair amount of good potential in the new Looney Tunes series of shorts.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 22 May, 2020 08:32 am
@tsarstepan,
According to the survey, 14% of adults are total more likely to subscribe because of the Studio Ghibli (the question specifically mentioned My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away).

Some of weird stats from the survey:
*25% of people who view social security as a #1 issue are much less likely to subscribe to watch The Lord of the Rings.
*42% of thos who identify as Hispanic are more likely to subscribe for the DC movies.
*22% of Christians are more likely to subscribe for Game of Thrones
*54% of people who view Trump favorably (strongly, somewhat, normal) are much less likely to subscribe for Doctor Who
*5% of those who voted for Mitt Romney in the 2012 election are likely to subscribe for Crunchyroll
*45% of Disney+ subscribers would subscribe for Cartoon Network shows.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 12:39 pm
Recently, Disney debuted a pseudo new series called Zenimation. They show edited scenes from the animated films, leaving only natural sounds, animal noises, and city sounds. No dialogue, no music. There are 10 episodes, about 5 minutes each, and each focuses on a theme (Flight, Cityscapes, Water, etc).

Basically, it is a way for Disney to show off its animation over the years, but it is a decent waste of an hour.

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 23 May, 2020 11:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't care for the Frozen movies or the related animated shorts but why are they so popular?

Are they the most popular Disney animated film projects to date? Over the past two decades?

WB has produced dozens of feature animated film projects since the '90s. What's their most popular animated film project to date?

On a related note what are Disney's and WB's most popular animated cartoon series to date from the last two decades?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 12:01 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I don't care for the Frozen movies or the related animated shorts but why are they so popular?

They have struck a chord with little girls, you’re not a little girl.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 03:33 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, the two films are Disney's most successful animated films. With the films' total box office and its merchandise sales, Frozen has made over $13 billion since 2013.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

The characters (mainly the two sisters Anna and Elsa, and the comic relief snowman Olaf) and the music are the main reasons for Frozen's popularity; the song "Let It Go", sung by the film's breakout character in particular was/is very popular.

0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 03:44 am
@JGoldman10,
The Lego Movie was Warner Bros' most successful animated film, earning about $470 million in the box office, leading to two spinoff films and a sequel.

Hard to tell which TV series exactly is the most successful. For Warner Bros, Teen Titans (and the related spinoff Teen Titans Go!) and DC Super Hero Girls seem to be the most popular.

For Disney, their most successful shows seem to be Phineas & Ferb, Elena of Avalor, and the Ducktales reboot.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know Teen Titans is popular. I know a cartoon, comic, video game, etc. is popular if it sparks a large amount of fan art and/or other fan-made stuff online.