Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 11:11 am
@JGoldman10,
With Roger Rabbit, the Disney and WB characters never played any significant role in the story. One could easily remove all of the Disney/WB/ all other copyrighted characters from the film and the story will be the same.

With Cartoon All-Stars to the Rescue, it was produced by a third party company (Academy of Television Arts & Sciences) and paid for by another (McDonald's) .
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 11:18 am
@Rebelofnj,
I know that. All the famous Hollywood cartoon characters who appeared in Roger Rabbit appeared in cameos. They weren't main or supporting characters they all had bit parts.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 11:20 am
@Rebelofnj,
Usually when official crossovers are being made, executives play supervisory roles to make sure their characters are being treated properly.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 12:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
Exactly.

Then why would Disney and Warner Bros agree to another crossover, if their characters are only going to be used as cameos with no purpose to the plot?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 12:04 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I wasn't talking necessarily about a project using characters in cameos.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 12:19 pm
@izzythepush,
The rivalry between WB and Disney has always been a friendly one. Nothing malicious.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 03:44 pm
@Rebelofnj,
On a related note, a lot of people were hoping to see a Roger Rabbit prequel or sequel for years. Of course another film would mean Disney and Speilberg would have to approach WB and the other Hollywood studios about using their characters again. Plans for a prequel and/or sequel were in the works but Spielberg had issues with the scripts for both projects if I'm not mistaken, especially the sequel. The sequel was going to be about Toons fighting Nazis.

Michael Eisner left Disney and the current post-Eisner staff at Disney aren't big fans of the original movie, so I don't think we'll ever see another Roger Rabbit film anytime soon.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 05:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
It is unlikely that the sequel or prequel will ever happen. Partly because Bob Hoskins has passed away and because Spielberg feels he can no longer use the Nazis in a lighthearted or satirical manner after directing Schindler's List.

Current Disney management seem to like the film, as it was featured in Disney+'s new Prop Culture series, where they spoke with the cast. However, Disney hasn't done a feature length traditional animation/ live action hybrid in years, so that may be why they haven't pursued the project any further.
BillRM

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:01 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I hate that every time the copyrights that Disney on their old material is about to run out they get congress to add decades more to the length of the copyright law.

Copyright was only to reward the creators for long enough to encourage them to produce more such works of art not to award either the great grandchildren or more likely a company that brought the rights decades before long after the death of the creators or for that matter even the grandchildren of the creators.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:22 pm
@BillRM,
As far as I can tell, Disney has not (yet) made any recent push for copyright extensions. Which would mean that their Steamboat Willie cartoon will fall into public domain in 1 January 2024.

After that, things get complicated. People could make Mickey cartoons based on Steamboat Willie, but they cannot use the Mickey from the Sorcerer's Apprentice short or The Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, as those copyrights are still protected. Of course, Disney will still have the trademark for Mickey Mouse and will likely use that for any potential legal battles.

Sherlock Holmes is currently in this grey area, with most of the early works are in public domain, but the last 10 stories (and their content) are protected.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:24 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Disney produced a new Mary Poppins film that came out a few years ago.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

It is unlikely that the sequel or prequel will ever happen. Partly because Bob Hoskins has passed away and because Spielberg feels he can no longer use the Nazis in a lighthearted or satirical manner after directing Schindler's List.

I know.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:33 pm
@JGoldman10,
I said "Feature Length".

Mary Poppins Returns, which I'm going to guess you haven't seen, had a 15 minute animated sequence, but it wasn't the focus of the entire film.

The sequence itself was more live action than animated as the scene went on.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 06:35 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I apologize, I didn't see it. I read about it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 07:40 pm
Roger Rabbit's character was heavily influenced and inspired by Tex Avery so it made sense to have MGM's Droopy cameo in the three Roger Rabbit shorts that were released after Who Framed Roger Rabbit came out. Disney probably paid a nominal fee to MGM or whatever studio owned Droopy to use Droopy at the time the three shorts were made.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 13 Sep, 2020 07:52 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I saw a video that stated classic Mickey Mouse shorts will fall into the public domain in a few years.
davidsheep88

Reply Sat 20 Mar, 2021 07:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
The future doesn't belong to them anymore it belongs to us we independat artist cans urpass the media and do things which they were not allowed.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2021 01:38 pm
@davidsheep88,
Like using poor spelling and grammar.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2021 02:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I saw a video that stated classic Mickey Mouse shorts will fall into the public domain in a few years.

Every time that is in danger of happening they get congress to extension the copyright period.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 11 Jun, 2021 07:32 pm
So, Netflix announced and showed off several animated series and films, to premiere this year or in 2021. A lot of them look pretty good or have a lot of talent involved.
*Castlevania spinoff
*The Cuphead Show!
*Far Cry
*Arcane
*Captain Laserhawk: A Blood Dragon Remix
*Splinter Cell
*Resident Evil
*Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Season 3 of the 1980s series)
*Twilight of the Gods
*Mobile Suit Gundam: Hathaway
*Edens Zero
*Shaman King
*exception
*Make My Day
*Bright: Samurai Soul
https://about.netflix.com/en/news/geeked-week-day-5-recap

https://about.netflix.com/en/news/geeked-week-day-4-recap
0 Replies