Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 07:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
They are not going to produce high quality cartoons on a website where everyone can watch videos for free. They will rely on low budget productions in order to make their money back.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I guess that makes sense. Why wouldn't they produce high-quality animation on a video sharing site like YouTube? They aren't interested in making money through generating view counts?

I know CN and Boomerang have channels on YouTube.

The new Ducktales show is a Disney XD show. Does Disney XD still exist on TV as a cable/satellite network?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
Universal is getting money from the new Woody cartoons via advertising and viewership numbers. But they are not going to waste more money than they should for a cartoon character with a small fanbase.

Disney XD is a separate cable channel. With the Ducktales cartoon, I assume a large part of the budget is for the voice actors. I imagine it is expensive to cast David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:46 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Disney XD like CN and Boomerang has a channel on YouTube. In fact a lot of channels on both broadcast and cable/satellite TV have channels on YouTube.

How can Woody have a small fanbase if there are presumably millions watching the new cartoons on YouTube?

Universal is making the new Woody cartoons for both the Brazilian and American markets.

What about the new Popeye cartoons King Features is showcasing on YouTube?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 08:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
Repeat views are counted, and kids love to watch cartoons over and over.

Comparatively, Woody Woodpecker is not currently popular with children in the US. A look at the official YouTube channel shows that most Woody episodes have barely 1 million views.

For comparison, the new Mickey Mouse shorts each have at least 2 million views, with a couple getting over 10 million.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. What about Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Do you really want me to look up the viewership numbers and the popularity levels of Tom & Jerry and Looney Tunes?

And what would be the point of that? To show that Woody Woodpecker is nowhere as popular as those two franchises?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
How are you looking up viewership numbers and popularity numbers?

You didn't answer my other question- what about the new Popeye cartoons King Features is showcasing on YouTube?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 09:44 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Is Popeye popular with today's kids?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 10:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I was curious about which franchises are popular.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 10:41 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I imagine it is expensive to cast David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck.

But the new Ducktales cartoon still looks like crap.

One of the things that USED to set Disney apart from most of the other studios who were producing TV animation, especially some of the big-name Hollywood studios producing TV animation, was that they paid attention to quality and had high production values.

These days, Disney is just basically "selling out" by churning out crappy cartoons for TV like the other studios.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 03:46 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I imagine it is expensive to cast David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck.

Doesn't that defeat the object? Scrooge McDuck famously has terrible fake accent, it doesn't sound remotely Scottish.

Tennant is a Scot.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 04:30 am
@JGoldman10,
It is safe to assume that Popeye is not popular with children nowadays, as the character has been out of the spotlight for years. I think Paw Patrol and Peppa Pig are more popular with children than Popeye. I didn't even know there are new Popeye cartoons, and that article was from 9 months ago.

As for how to check what is popular, I just see the number of subscriptions of a YouTube channel, the number of views, and Google Trends. It is imperfect, but it provides a rough idea what people are searching for.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 04:39 am
@JGoldman10,
Regardless with how you feel about it, the show is popular with children and older fans. I have yet to watch it, but it seems that the writing and voice acting has received the most attention, with the story heavily inspired by Carl Barks' Disney comics.

We had this discussion about Ducktales before.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 04:50 am
@izzythepush,
I'm guessing Disney is ok with changing the voice joke as this is a reboot.

I think the joke now is how Donald Duck (who still has his regular voice actor) sounds incomprehensable compared to the rest of the cast.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 05:04 am
@Rebelofnj,
I suppose so.

I don't think Tennant will be that pricey, he still hosts the odd edition of Have I Got News For You, and the BBC isn't known for paying over the odds.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:03 am
@Rebelofnj,
What "voice joke"?

I am aware the new Ducktales is popular with older fans. A lot of older fans were fans of the original, and a lot of older fans were fans of other classic Disney TV cartoons. They are bringing some of the classic Disney Afternoon characters into the show. They have big-name Hollywood actors voicing some of the characters. Don Cheadle guest voiced Donald Duck in one episode.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:37 am
@Rebelofnj,
Tony Anselmo has been voicing Donald Duck since the '80s. He was officially designated Donald's voice actor by the studio. I assume he has a lifetime contract to voice him.

For most of his voice acting career, he has voiced Donald Duck. There were a few other characters he has voiced like Donald's nephews.

He is not going to stop voicing Donald unless he gets too old and retires and passes his role on to someone else, or in the worse-case scenario something were to happen to him.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:45 am
@Rebelofnj,
There is a cartoon series Disney produced called Legend Of The Three Cabelleros, which I didn't know about until I saw and read a few articles about it online, and discovered it on YouTube:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_the_Three_Caballeros

That show was produced to cater to the Asian and American markets. It was shown in the Philippines first before being shown in the U.S.

That show has high production values.

How come a lot of the cartoon shows Disney produces now for American TV still look like crap?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 Sep, 2019 06:46 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What "voice joke"?

Scrooge McDuck's obvious fake accent.