Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 04:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
As far as I can tell, Hulu has the 90s Warner Bros shows like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, while Boomerang has Looney Tunes and the other classic shows.

I imagine that it is not available on other streaming services because of the licensing costs.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 04:51 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Okay, but I'm not talking about for their streaming services

All of the shows, live action and animation, that Disney announced this year is for their streaming service, which is why I brought it up.

DC is producing a mature rated Harley Quinn animated show for their streaming service.

Whether you like it or not, more people watch shows on streaming services than they watch broadcast shows.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Whether you like it or not, more people watch shows on streaming services than they watch broadcast shows.

What about cable/satellite TV? That is not the same thing as broadcast TV.

Broadcast TV is stuff on free TV, on networks like CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox and the CW.

Broadcast TV is regular TV.

People still watch cable/satellite TV.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
I feel like I told you this before (this is becoming a recurring issue).

Netflix Is No. 1 Choice for TV Viewing, Beating Broadcast, Cable and YouTube (Study)
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/netflix-tv-survey-broadcast-cable-youtube-1202864459/

"When looking at adults 18-34, Netflix’s lead is even more dramatic: Nearly 40% of those in the younger demo said Netflix is the platform they use most often to view video content on their TVs — well ahead of YouTube (17%), basic cable (12.6%), Hulu (7.6%) and broadcast TV (7.5%).
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
How many people in this day and age still watch broadcast TV and cable/satellite TV? My family and I still watch TV on DirecTV.

I do not know too much about streaming services.

I don't know why you insist on telling me about streaming TV. I am asking about cable/satellite TV and broadcast TV.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 12 Sep, 2019 05:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
Your original question did not specify on Cable and Broadcast only. I mentioned upcoming animated shows, even though they are on streaming. Technically, most people watch Netflix on their TV sets, so it counts as TV.

Well, according to the study I just linked but you didn't read:
26% of total respondents have a traditional TV package, which includes cable and broadcast.

I imagine the number of cable subscribers to be higher for older audiences, but for the 18-34 age group, there is a growing number of people who don't subscribe to cable and just watch via streaming.
https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cord-cutting-2018-estimates-33-million-us-study-1202881488/
"About 147.5 million people in the U.S. watch Netflix at least once per month, according to eMarketer’s July 2018 estimates. That’s followed by Amazon Prime Video (88.7 million), Hulu (55 million), HBO Now (17.1 million) and Dish’s Sling TV (6.8 million)."
"Traditional cable and satellite TV is in decline. Traditional U.S. pay-TV providers saw a record 3.7% drop in 2017, to 94 million households."

Also, people do watch the broadcast shows like CW's Riverdale, but only when the shows are on Netflix or Hulu.
https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/as-netflix-pulls-viewers-from-linear-tv-its-also-boosting-ratings-of-shows-it-streams/
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 12:22 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay, thank you.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 02:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
What streaming services are and will DCAU shows be showcased on?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:06 am
@Rebelofnj,
Besides Gargoyles, what other "realistic" action cartoon shows has Disney produced?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 03:43 am
@JGoldman10,
DC has their own streaming service. It is called DC Universe. It features DC shows and films, as well access to their massive comic library.

https://youtu.be/Xef12J3TVbk
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:07 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. What "realistic" action cartoon shows does and has Disney produced that are not Marvel-related, besides Gargoyles?
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 04:20 am
@JGoldman10,
I am not sure. Most of the animated shows are based on their Disney Animated Canon films like Aladdin and Tangled. Their other shows like Kim Possible and Phineas & Ferb are more stylized.

Disney did co-produce the Italian animated show W.I.T.C.H. Greg Weisman, who worked on Gargoyles, was the executive producer for W.I.T.C.H.

Star Wars: Clone Wars was fairly dark for an animated series for children.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
Yeah- the recent Star Wars shows. I forgot Disney owns Star Wars now.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 05:48 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

As far as I can tell, Hulu has the 90s Warner Bros shows like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs, while Boomerang has Looney Tunes and the other classic shows.

I imagine that it is not available on other streaming services because of the licensing costs.

When WB launches HBO Max (their catchall streaming service), Hulu will (eventually) lose all of these WB properties.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:05 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Rebelofnj wrote:

When WB launches HBO Max (their catchall streaming service), Hulu will (eventually) lose all of these WB properties.

Warner Bros. is supposed to be producing a new Animaniacs series exclusively for Hulu:

https://ew.com/tv/2018/01/04/animaniacs-hulu/

How is that going to work if they are going to launch HBO Max?
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:12 am
Warner Bros. is rebooting and updating Animaniacs so today's kids can relate to it. It's still going to be family-friendly.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 13 Sep, 2019 10:21 am
@JGoldman10,
Presumably, Hulu has a license to distribute the Animaniacs and once that expires in a few years, the show will move to HBO MAX.
Similar to how the Star Wars films will be part of Disney Plus in 2024, after the TV licensing deal with TBS ends.

HBO MAX will also include the DC Universe streaming service as part of the package.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 06:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
On a related note, I've read Universal is rebooting Woody Woodpecker and King Features is rebooting Popeye and showcasing their cartoon shorts on YouTube, for today's kids:

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/internet-television/universal-is-producing-new-woody-woodpecker-shorts-for-youtube-166893.html
https://www.cartoonbrew.com/internet-television/watch-popeye-whistle-and-fly-in-his-new-youtube-cartoons-167353.html

Why are they bothering? The new cartoons look like crap. Like ugly watered-down bastardizations of their classic properties.

This is no different than what Disney and WB did with with their cartoon reboots.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 07:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Why are they bothering?

Same reason you want to produce animation: for money.

In the first article, it says Universal noticed high viewership from their Brazilian YouTube channel, so they want to produce new Woody Woodpecker cartoons to appeal to the Brazilian audience.

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 28 Sep, 2019 07:35 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know Woody is popular in Brazil. That's why the live-action/CGI-animated movie was first shown down in Brazil before it was released here in the U.S.

I meant why are they bothering if their cartoons look like crap?