Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 17 May, 2020 11:21 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

To be honest I'm not really sure I want to move forward with developing any of these projects.

-FIXED.

The point my mother, pastor and American Christian penpal tried to get across to me is that Christians shouldn't compromise being Christians to be successful. They should not be sellouts.

Unfortunately there are people who say they are Christians who sell out to make it big in the entertainment business.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 06:05 am
@JGoldman10,
A common factor I'm seeing is that your mother, pastor, and the penpal are all trying to stopping you from what you want to do.
It seems like they have made numerous attempts over the years to stop you from pursuing this career.

It also seems like you do not have your own interpretation of the Bible and have to rely on others on what to do and what choices you make.

So, are you even going to be an animator or cartoonist? Or is that up to what your mother, pastor, and penpal say? Or what God says to you?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 06:15 am
@JGoldman10,
It seems that all of your cartoon influences are secular and all use some kind of otherworldly element. You never mentioned being influenced by any Christian cartoons and comics, and even have to ask if they are popular.

The rock trolls don't have a major role in Frozen II. However, there is some level of paganism with the native tribes seen in the film, though I don't know why that guest pastor you mentioned failed to talk about that part and only talked about a nonexistent part.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 06:23 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Have you ever noticed in a lot of (old) secular cartoons characters are sometimes depicted wearing red devil suits, or sprouting devil horns when they get mad, or that the Devil is shown as some red-skinned anthropomorphic entity with a beard, pitchfork and tail, and that St. Peter is shown sitting outside the Gates of Heaven with a book waiting to check people in, and sometimes when people pass they become angels? And so on?

These images all stem from paganistic ideologies.

As does the concept of the sacrificial god. Marduk, Osiris and Wotan all did it long before Christ.

Take the Paganism out of Christianity and there’s nothing left.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 01:59 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I have some ideas for Christian series I want to develop.

I am still interested in learning how to voice act professionally.

Yes I was influenced by a lot of secular cartoons. I wasn't going to have any elements of witchcraft and/or occultism in my work. I wasn't going to do any fanservicey stuff either.

It is ultimately up to me what I want to do for a career. My mother, pastor and American penpal gave me stuff to think about.

My mother was led by the Holy Spirit when she talked to me about the material I wanted to develop, but she doesn't remember what she said.

A big issue my mother had with my material was
violent content. Not everything I wanted to produce was violent.

What do you mean by my own interpretation of the Bible?
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 10:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What do you mean by my own interpretation of the Bible?

If you have to ask, then you're probably too brainwashed to understand.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 10:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I study the Bible for myself.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 18 May, 2020 10:49 pm
There's too much derailment going on in this thread.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:24 am
Anyway, getting back on topic:

Do kids and general audiences still care about classic Hollywood Golden Age cartoon characters?

These characters were seemingly far more popular in the late 20th century - the '70s, '80s and '90s - then they are now, despite the advents in current tech and despite their online presence.

Disney, WB and other major Hollywood studios are still producing cartoon shows and shorts and films and other projects using their classic characters.

The big interest in classic Hollywood cartoons are big reasons why films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam came out.

I know there are new Woody Woodpecker and Popeye shorts being produced and shown on YouTube channels somewhere.

I know Simon Cowell wants to bring Betty Boop into the 21st century.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 12:27 am
@JGoldman10,
Study or cherry pick? Jesus said the most important thing was to love thy neighbour. With the sole exception of your mother you’ve not shown any concern for anybody else.

Hundreds of thousands have died and are dying from the coronavirus which you’ve described as a ridiculous scare and complained about not getting your money yet.

Yet you spend all this time and effort worrying about talking animals in cartoons.

Your priorities are seriously fucked.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:27 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Anyway, getting back on topic:

Do kids and general audiences still care about classic Hollywood Golden Age cartoon characters?

These characters were seemingly far more popular in the late 20th century - the '70s, '80s and '90s - then they are now, despite the advents in current tech and despite their online presence.

Disney, WB and other major Hollywood studios are still producing cartoon shows and shorts and films and other projects using their classic characters.

The big interest in classic Hollywood cartoons are big reasons why films like Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Space Jam came out.

I know there are new Woody Woodpecker and Popeye shorts being produced and shown on YouTube channels somewhere.

I know Simon Cowell wants to bring Betty Boop into the 21st century.

Do kids and general audiences still care about TV cartoons from the '50s to the '90s and animated films from the Renaissance of American animation ('80s and '90s)?

Disney and WB are rebooting some of their classic cartoon shows.

A handful of classic TV cartoons have been adapted into recent animated films. A handful of classic H-B cartoon shows have gotten reboots and have been adapted into recent animated films.

I learned fairly recently Bagdasarian Productions, the team behind Alvin and the Chipmunks, has produced a new reboot series.

Danger Mouse was rebooted recently.

But because old cartoon stuff, whether it's from classic Hollywood and TV cartoon shorts and films, or from wherever, is being rebooted, that doesn't mean it's popular.

Some old cartoon movies are getting sequels and/or prequels but that doesn't mean they are popular.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:29 am
@izzythepush,
People still have to make a living and function.

I care about my friends and other members of my family.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 01:57 am
@izzythepush,
Once in a while I think about my brother. He acted like a disgusting selfish-acting creep who didn't care about me or my mother. He put us through unnecessary changes and was constantly trying to tear our house up. He was constantly creating a hostile, toxic environment.

Dealing with a "special needs" relative who acted like that and a mother who was physically incapable of taking care of herself was very taxing.

I'm glad my brother is not over here where I am aggravating me.

Im glad my mother is away getting the help and attention she needs.

I'm a little annoyed I can't go see her in person.

I pray for my friends and family.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 02:17 am
@izzythepush,
Maybe you think it's a little selfish, but I was a little annoyed at my mother. I feel like I almost let her completely talk me out of working on developing any toons and comics.

I get she was concerned about the material I wanted to develop. I could have had at least one cartoon and/or comics series going online right now and making some decent money, before the Covid-19 crisis transpired.

I should have had what I needed to produce my animation and comics with and I should have had at least one cartoon and/or comics series going by now.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 03:30 am
@JGoldman10,
Jesus said love thy neighbour, that’s all that matters, everything else is window dressing.

You’ve every right to be angry with your mother, but you still need to get on with something. You’re very good at procrastinating, using research as an excuse to do nothing.

Even if you do complete something it’s no guarantee of success. I’ve got a novel on Amazon and I’ve still to make any real money on it.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 04:49 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:

Not really. On Cartoon Network and Disney Channel, they mainly show newer cartoons.

According to Disney Plus' trending section on their app (which reveals what is popular now), Mickey Mouse Clubhouse is the 4th most popular, but that is a more recent animated show made for preschoolers. The other popular film and shows are Maleficent, Star Wars, Frozen, The Simpsons, and Pixar films.

The reason Looney Tunes was popular in the 90s was that when Cartoon Network launched, they had little original programming, so they used the old Looney Tunes shorts to fill out the day.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:17 am
@Rebelofnj,
Why were old Hollywood cartoon characters popular in the '80s?

I forgot Disney bought Fox. How is that going to impact Fox's classic cartoon library?

In the '90s the Disney Stores and Warner Bros. Stores were popular. Showcasing and repackaging old cartoons at their stores was part of their marketing.
JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:40 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Why were old Hollywood cartoon characters popular in the '80s?

I forgot Disney bought Fox. How is that going to impact Fox's classic cartoon library?

In the '90s the Disney Stores and Warner Bros. Stores were popular. Showcasing and repackaging old cartoons, in addition to whatever recent cartoons they produced and put out at the time, at their stores was part of their marketing.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:48 am
@izzythepush,
I was mad but I got over it. I don't harbor grudges. The Holy Spirit led my mother to talk to me about the toons and comics I wanted to develop. The Holy Spirit told her to talk to me about it.

If it wasn't for that she would not have gotten involved.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 19 May, 2020 10:52 am
@JGoldman10,
I doubt that very much.

In my experience those who go on about religion and being filled with the Holy Spirit tend to be the nastiest most cruel people on the planet.

It’s as Yeats said, ‘The best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity.’
0 Replies