Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Sturgis

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
There are always those who don't. Some have never been taught the difference between wrong and right. Some are incapable of grasping the concept and some are psychopaths who enjoy hurting others.

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:18 pm
@JGoldman10,
The exorcist gets a pretty good write up too, but you wouldn’t base a kid’s series on that.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:21 pm
@izzythepush,
But there was a child in it. Shouldn't that make it okay? And wasn't Reagan (played by Linda Blair) SAVED!?..

yep. Perfect family fare.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:23 pm
@JGoldman10,
Just an observation.

Despite the perceived increase of violent entertainment, the crime rate in the United States has been on the decline since the early 90s.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/10/17/facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Most adults, I presume, have enough sense not to be influenced from violent acts in cartoons or in any form of entertainment.

That young gunman you're referring to should have known better.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:34 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I was trying to get a cartoon and/or comics series developed and going about streetfighting heroes that fight crime long before I saw The Warriors.

I didn't know of too many films about street gangs and streetfighters. When I read what the film was about it piqued my interest and curiosity.

I know Colors was a film about prison gangs and Boys In The Hood was about some criminal gang in some African American neighborhood somewhere but I never watched these films all the way through.

I never watched Gangs of New York and I only saw part of Fight Club.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:36 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well, the gunman didn't know any better, and now he is serving 12 life sentences
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:37 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Just an observation.

Despite the perceived increase of violent entertainment, the crime rate in the United States has been on the decline since the early 90s.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/10/17/facts-about-crime-in-the-u-s/

That being said, why is violent entertainment popular?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 04:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
*well written and directed
*created by popular writers, directors, etc
*features popular actors
*eye pleasing special effects
And so forth.

If you actually paid attention to pop culture in the last 20 years, you would have a better grasp on why these films, books, and shows are popular.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 05:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I can list what pieces of entertainment I know have been popular in the last two decades but I can do that another time.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 06:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
If you can list them, then that just means you haven't seen much in years.

I mean, I have seen hundreds of films and shows produced after the year 2000, and read hundreds of comic issues and books published after 2000, but I'm not going to list them all.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 07:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
If I may ask how do you have the time to do all that?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 07:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm good at time management. It is not difficult to watch several dozen films per year, which add up to several hundred films over a 20 year period.
Plus, I watched a lot of films during the pandemic lockdown and I was furloughed from my job.

If you want, feel free to look through all of the films I have seen.
https://letterboxd.com/rebelofnj/

Meanwhile, I have so far read 55 books and graphic novels this year; I have a goal to read 75 books this year. Right now, I'm reading the 1905 adventure novel The Scarlet Pimpernel and the 2018 sci-fi novel A Bad Deal For The Whole Galaxy; I'm alternating between the two books.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 07:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
In the free time I have I should be getting more research done and focusing on getting what I need to get toons and comics developed and produced, and taking care of business and dealing with issues regarding my personal health. I'm still working on getting my personal financial situation and my mother's dealt with and our business regarding Social Security. I still need to get internet service reinstated on my laptop.

We still need to talk to an ombudsman. The faster this is all taken care of the faster things can go back to normal.

My local library opened back up, but patrons can only use it by appointment only.

Part of the reason I haven't been working was because I had to help take care of my brother.

The head of my local employment center told me I can still learn the art programs I said I want to learn through a learning system via the employment center's website, which is good, but I don't know if I can do that over a smartphone.

I want to work but I can't right now because I don't want to mess anything up with Social Security. My employment wages would be counted against my S.S. benefits. This is part of the reason why my mom and I still need to talk to an ombudsman.

I hope driving schools will open back up. I was told my local DMV office opened back up to the public.

I'm glad I have a cousin who has been helping me get situated.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 07:54 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I assume you have the money you need to do all this stuff too.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 08:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
It was not exactly expensive for me to watch and read all of this stuff.

Streaming services have been a major money saver, my job offers discounts on movie theater tickets, libraries have many films and books for me to borrow, and there are a lot of books and films available on public domain; the aforementioned Scarlet Pimpernel novel was free to download on Wikipedia.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2020 09:39 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. I briefly explained that I would use promos on as many online platforms as possible to attract kids (and anyone else who was interested) to my online cartoons and comics. I didn't go into great detail about it.

You asked me about gimmicks. I don't know what gimmicks people use online to draw people to their online cartoons and/or comics. I'm not an expert on advertising and marketing. It would help if you gave some examples of gimmicks people commonly use.

I know on TV at least promos for cartoon shows usually consisted of montages of clips of scenes from episodes of the show. You would usually hear a voice over briefly describing the show in general or describing a certain upcoming episode of it.

I know sometimes, to further attract viewer attention they'd do something eye- and/or ear-catching, like feature some kind of song about the show, or make some kind of music video to promote the show, or do something funny like have a voiceover that talked about the show in a humorous manner, or treat the promo like a humorous PSA of some kind, etc.

I don't know if this has changed. From the promos I've seen for cartoon shows on TV from the last two decades I'm guessing not.

Is advertising and selling merch online to help promote your online cartoons and/or comics considered a gimmick?
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 04:34 am
@JGoldman10,
There are too many gimmicks to list. They are just anything that attracts people's attention. If you have seen other shows and promos, you should know some of them already.
You might as well emulate what other promos have done.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 05:50 am
@JGoldman10,
To add, if you just watched 2 films per month for 20 years (from 2000 to 2020), you could have seen 480 films.

According to my Letterboxd profile, I have seen at least 618 films in my lifetime. It may be a higher number, as I may have forgotten to add films I had watched years ago.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2020 02:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Hi Rebel. Can you please just name a few gimmicks people use?