Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:13 pm
@izzythepush,
Americans usually just say "hockey".
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:14 pm
@JGoldman10,
How do you distinguish between the two?

We would never call ice hockey hockey, nor would we ever use the term field hockey.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:16 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm not procrastinating. The Covid-19 crisis and pandemic put a huge damper on things and messed things up for a lot of people.

I'm still working on getting myself organized and getting myself and my mother financially situated with Social Security and such. We still have to deal with an ombudsman.

Fortunately I have a cousin who volunteered to help me out over the phone.

I'm happy you have your books out. At least you have what you need to produce them.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Even Disney and WB have other popular shows that are not reliant on older material.

I know this.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:18 pm
@izzythepush,
In the US, we just call ice hockey as "hockey" and field hockey as "field hockey".

Ice hockey is referred as "hockey" due to the popularity of the National Hockey League.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:24 pm
A point I was making about cartoon violence is, as a Christian, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with using it.

What do kids learn from watching cartoon violence? It may not inspire them to go do anything violent but it makes some kids hostile and aggressive. There were case studies done on this.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know there's violence in Disney shorts. I talked to my mother about violence in cartoons, especially in kids' cartoons, and told her there's even violence in classic Mickey Mouse shorts. She doesn't know a lot about animation or comics. People for some odd reason ignorantly assume Disney is all about making harmless, cutesy cartoons, when in reality a lot of the cartoons they produce are not as harmless and innocent as people think:

https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Adult_Humor_(animated)
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
You are. Covid 19 is your latest excuse.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:43 pm
@izzythepush,
Exactly!

The majority of people that I've been interacting with, say that the lockdown has given them more time to work on personal projects and/or work. And with less interruptions.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:43 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

A point I was making about cartoon violence is, as a Christian, I'm not sure I'm comfortable with using it.

Christians are not supposed to be glorifying violence.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:45 pm
@JGoldman10,
Due to being stuck at home because of the pandemic, several artists have been able to produce works at a higher rate.

*George RR Martin (known procrastinator) has admitted that the pandemic has allowed him to work on his long delayed book The Winds of Winter, which was supposed to be published years ago.

*Taylor Swift recorded a new album forklore during the pandemic, less than a year after she released her last album. It is more acoustic than her previous album, which was more pop.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:54 pm
@Rebelofnj,
These people have money and whatever they need to produce whatever.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Rebelofnj wrote:

Do you have any ideas that are not throwbacks or homages to older eras of animation?

I have one.

I take that back. I have at least two. At least two or three.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What do kids learn from watching cartoon violence? It may not inspire them to go do anything violent but it makes some kids hostile and aggressive. There were case studies done on this.

Is anyone going to answer the question?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
Plenty of violence in the Bible, considerably more than in Tom and Jerry.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
It has not yet been an hour since you asked. Practice patience.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
How come you are so insisted on people to answer your questions, when you ignore my own questions in your other threads and private messages?
https://able2know.org/topic/550717-4#post-7045134
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 02:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

There were case studies done on this.

Cite your damned sources.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 07:44 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
People for some odd reason ignorantly assume Disney is all about making harmless, cutesy cartoons, when in reality a lot of the cartoons they produce are not as harmless and innocent as people think:

Except for the people who actually have watched the Disney animated films.
In addition to the adult humor listed, all of their 58 official animated films also have some dark moments. Just going by their last 5 films:

*Big Hero 6 - Hiro wants revenge after his brother was killed in a fiery explosion. Almost killed the one responsible before being forcibly stopped by his friends.
*Zootopia - main character Judy accidentally starts a race war. Nick reveals a traumatic racially charged attack when he was young.
*Moana - Grandmother dies peacefully. The lava god's appearance.
*Ralph Breaks the Internet - The violent nature of the Slaughter Race game. The exploration of the Dark Web part of the internet. The Ralph virus clones destroying the internet and creating a monster.
*Frozen II - Elsa and Anna's grandfather kills a tribe leader. Elsa and Anna's parents die at sea, with their last moments shown. Elsa freezes to death. Olaf fades away/dies. The song The Next Right Thing is about Anna's depression.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2020 07:59 am
@JGoldman10,
George RR Martin may have money to get the best equipment but he apparently still uses a DOS computer with Wordstar 4.0 from the early 1980s. It has not connection to the internet.

Quote:
In a blogpost in 2011, Martin intimated that he considered himself a "man of the 20th Century, not the 21st" and a "dinosaur" because, while he had been using a computer for 20 years by that point, he was still using the outdated system to write.

He called it the "Duesenberg of word-processing software (very old, but unsurpassed)", referring to the long-since dead American car manufacturer.

And he said he personally was a user of neither Facebook, nor Twitter at that time. Instead, he allowed a friend to post on the sites on his behalf.

Disk operating system computers were popular in the 1980s and early 1990s.

And the system remained in widespread use up to around the turn of the century - but some already considered it outdated by the time Martin's first instalment in A Song of Ice And Fire was published in 1996.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-27407502