Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 09:20 pm
I originally intended for my cartoon and/or comics series about streetfighting cats and dogs that fight crime to be comedic, but I thought about what my mother and American Christian penpal said about my material and about violence in cartoons and comics. Yes I wanted to make this series action adventure but showing cartoon characters beating each other up in the name of comedy is not really that funny when you think about it.

Popeye, Danger Mouse, Mighty Mouse and Darkwing Duck, for example, were all (action adventure) comedic cartoons that often depicted heroes beating up villains.

I'm probably going to change my idea up. I think I will still make the cartoon and/or comics series be about good and bad gangs but the heroes will fight the villains without resorting to physical violence.

In shows like The A-Team, Knight Rider and Magnum, P.I. the heroes weren't always physically fighting the villains. They resorted to fisticuffs as a last resort.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 03:17 am
@JGoldman10,
And they were totally unrealistic. Lots of shooting but nobody ever got hurt. The worst thing that ever happened was one of the characters would have his arm in a sling in the final scene, no blood nothing.

That send a terrible message, basically shooting a gun has no consequences which is one of the reasons why mass shootings are so popular over there.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 03:53 am
@JGoldman10,
Didn't your mother talk to you about cartoon violence years ago? You should made a decision about using cartoon violence years ago, instead of being indecisive still years later.

It seems you keep going back and forth on what your projects will be about, which apparently led to the projects getting stalled for years.

Also, I am questioning your claim that your projects will be on the same level of quality as the major studios, mainly because I haven't seen any example of your artwork (not counting 2 character drawings I saw) or your storytelling.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:37 am
@Rebelofnj,
There is violence in most comedic cartoons aimed at kids. People think cartoon violence is funny.

As I said my mother wasn't going to get involved in what I was doing. The only reason she got involved with what I was doing was because the Holy Spirit led her to talk to me about what I was doing. This was a few years ago.

I originally wanted to do a series about characters that street fight but I don't think that's really a good idea now. This was going to be a throwback to old '80s and '90s cartoons and comics. This is what I was trying to get focus on getting developed. I couldn't really focus on this given the situation I was in dealing with my family.

I said in another thread I want to produce an unrelated series about a hillbilly and redneck who live next door to each other. I want to make that more like a traditional comedy series and make that like a throwback to old Hollywood Golden age cartoons. I have other ideas for series that I want to treat the same way. These ideas I came up with fairly recently.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:42 am
@JGoldman10,
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 06:55 am
@izzythepush,
I wrote the last post on an ipad sorry for mucking up Mr Goldman's name in the second quotation. It wasn't deliberate.

Anyway as promised.

https://britishcomicscompilations.files.wordpress.com/2018/01/cmp2-hb.jpg?w=840

Similar theme although in this strip one set of antagonists is native American and it's a bit racist.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-imj3ZkJk2xo/T2zDzLJnPwI/AAAAAAAACJc/3s5-F-bWDQU/s1600/UG+and+TUG+2+pages.jpg
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 07:31 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
People think cartoon violence is funny.

Which is why the new Looney Tunes shorts does have cartoon violence, and by all accounts, the shorts have been successful.

The new Mickey Mouse cartoons (both the CGI and throwback series) also have some cartoon violence as well.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 07:50 am
@izzythepush,
The first comic seem to be inspired by the Hatfields-McCoys feud (two hillbilly families fighting for years in the West Virginia-Kentucky woodlands)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatfield%E2%80%93McCoy_feud
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 08:09 am
@Rebelofnj,
It was a long running series in Beezer comic.

I remember watching one old cartoon where the two feuding sides had one bullet that they kept firing at each other.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 08:13 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

I said in another thread I want to produce an unrelated series about a hillbilly and redneck who live next door to each other. I want to make that more like a traditional comedy series and make that like a throwback to old Hollywood Golden age cartoons. I have other ideas for series that I want to treat the same way. These ideas I came up with fairly recently.

I'm kind of scared to ask this... but who is your target audience for this series? Not kids. Do you really think Gen Z kids and the next generation are craving a Hollywood Golden age cartoons style cartoon "about a hillbilly and redneck who live next door to each other"?

All of your questions asking about what's popular these days? I'm 1000% certain none of them implied or directly hinted that a series "about a hillbilly and redneck who live next door to each other" done in homage to the Hollywood Golden age cartoons would make a blip in this cultural landscape.

Are you making these cartoons for white conservative Baby Boomers in red states? That would apparently be the most obvious target for the style and subject in what you're proposing.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 10:38 am
@JGoldman10,
Do you have any ideas that are not throwbacks or homages to older eras of animation?

Based on current trends, and my own anecdotal evidence, cartoon about hillbillies with 30s/40s style animation would not be popular at all nowadays.

It sounds like it would have been popular in the late 60s/early 70s, when there was several popular rural comedies on TV (Green Acres, Beverly Hillbillies, Mayberry R.F.D.).
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 11:03 am
@Rebelofnj,
With BLM being in the news hill billy types are not really flavour of the month right now, with the sole exception of racists.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 12:57 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The Golden Age of Hollywood animation lasted from the 1920's to the 1960's. However, Universal Studios was still producing Woody Woodpecker theatrical shorts until 1972.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Even major studios like Disney and WB update throwback cartoons to appeal to modern audiences.

WB updated their new Looney Tunes series on HBO Max to appeal to modern audiences. I read in an article that characters do things like use cellphones and use phrases like "fake news".

Disney updated the Mickey Mouse series I was talking about, the series about 1930's-style cartoon shorts, in a similar fashion. There's an episode that takes place in a modern-day hockey stadium for example.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:06 pm
@JGoldman10,
Over here we call it ice hockey. Hockey is played on a field like football. I believe you call it field hockey.
JGoldman10

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:07 pm
@izzythepush,
No, in America, field hockey is played on turf. I meant ice hockey. We Americans use the term "ice hockey" too.
Rebelofnj

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:10 pm
@JGoldman10,
Do you have any ideas that are not throwbacks or homages to older eras of animation?

Even Disney and WB have other popular shows that are not reliant on older material.
JGoldman10

@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I have one.

I was going to modernize all my throwback cartoon series to an extent. The cartoons that were throwbacks to old '80s and '90s cartoons and the ones that were throwbacks to Golden Age cartoons.
izzythepush

@JGoldman10,
And while you’re procrastinating I’d like to say that I’ve just submitted my second novel to Amazon. It will be on sale in 72 hours.

I was still working on my first while you were researching street gangs. Btw, your Edinburgh gangs thread has had a lot of attention, bet you didn’t expect that.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2020 01:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
We don’t use the term field hockey, we just call it hockey.