Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:18 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Will your show be at the same level of quality as these shows?

I'd like to have more than one online cartoon series going, and more than one online comics series going (preferably in video showcases but in other formats also) but yes. I was actually trying to get some material developed so I could get an online cartoon and/or series going, before my mother got involved with what I was doing. I drew some professional level-looking cartoon fight scenes that looked like something out of a Warner Bros. or Disney cartoon show, or from comics based on these cartoons. What I drew looked like real street fights but with cartoon characters. (Imagine characters like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck engaging in street fights.) Seriously. I drew exactly what I envisioned. My mother dumped all over what I was doing because she had a problem with how violent my material was. She asked me if I was trying to attract the world. I wish I had saved those drawings; those were some high-quality, professional-level drawings.

You said in another thread you assumed I was still working on a cartoon and/or comics series about streetfighting cats and dogs fighting crime.

To be honest, I kind of have mixed feelings about this. No I haven't really been working on that. I kind of abandoned this idea in favor for other cartoon and comics ideas I have. There is a market for retro stuff; I said I want to produce toons and comics that are throwbacks to old '80s and '90s toons and comics, but I also want to produce cartoons that are throwbacks to old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons and comics based on these cartoons.

You said cartoons and comics about street gangs and street fighters and entertainment about street gangs and street fighters in general isn't really that popular now, especially now in this politically correct age we live in. I assume cartoon violence is something that is generally looked down upon now.

Violence, as you know, is one of the reasons regular cartoons were pulled off broadcast TV; the reason broadcast TV pulled weekday morning, weekday afternoon, and Saturday morning cartoons off their programming blocks aimed at kids. The only kids' cartoons shown now on broadacast TV are edutainment ones.

I was thinking it would be better to depict heroes fighting villains without resorting to physical violence.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:19 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Please name a few gimmicks. You piqued my interest.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
Political correctness is not at all responsible for the low popularity of street gangs. The real life gang violence in major cities, which peaked in the 80s, are mostly responsible for the poor view on street gangs.

Why do keep caring about what children's cartoons are shown on broadcast TV?
Major studios are focused on putting their animated shows on streaming and cable as most children watch those more. HBO MAX even has a slogan for their children's cartoons: Saturday Morning. Every Morning.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I just finished editing my post.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay, but what about street fighters?

I know a majority of kids' shows are shown on cable/satellite TV and on streaming services now. I was making a point about cartoon violence.

The FCC doesn't touch shows shown on cable/satellite TV. I presume they don't bother shows on streaming services.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 07:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Rebelofnj wrote:

Will your show be at the same level of quality as these shows?

I'd like to have more than one online cartoon series going, and more than one online comics series going (preferably in video showcases but in other formats also) but yes. I was actually trying to get some material developed so I could get an online cartoon and/or series going, before my mother got involved with what I was doing. I drew some professional level-looking cartoon fight scenes that looked like something out of a Warner Bros. or Disney cartoon show, or from comics based on these cartoons. What I drew looked like real street fights but with cartoon characters. (Imagine characters like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck engaging in street fights.) Seriously. I drew exactly what I envisioned. My mother dumped all over what I was doing because she had a problem with how violent my material was. She asked me if I was trying to attract the world. I wish I had saved those drawings; those were some high-quality, professional-level drawings.

You said in another thread you assumed I was still working on a cartoon and/or comics series about streetfighting cats and dogs fighting crime.

To be honest, I kind of have mixed feelings about this. No I haven't really been working on that. I kind of abandoned this idea in favor for other cartoon and comics ideas I have. There is a market for retro stuff; I said I want to produce toons and comics that are throwbacks to old '80s and '90s toons and comics, but I also want to produce cartoons that are throwbacks to old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons and comics based on these cartoons.

You said cartoons and comics about street gangs and street fighters and entertainment about street gangs and street fighters in general isn't really that popular now, especially now in this politically correct age we live in. I assume cartoon violence is something that is generally looked down upon now.

Violence, as you know, is one of the reasons regular cartoons were pulled off broadcast TV; the reason broadcast TV pulled weekday morning, weekday afternoon, and Saturday morning cartoons off their programming blocks aimed at kids. The only kids' cartoons shown now on broadacast TV are edutainment ones.

I was thinking it would be better to depict heroes fighting villains without resorting to physical violence.

Rebel, did you read this? Am I correct about what I said about cartoon violence?
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:02 pm
My mother and Christian penpals are right- Christians shouldn't be producing violent entertainment and you don't want to turn kids on to violence. You don't want to make them think they can solve most if not all their problems with violence.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
What is exactly your point on cartoon violence? It is still present in cartoons.

The finales of Adventure Time, Regular Show, and Adventure Time all had major fights between the heroes and villains, and major characters either died or were seriously injured.

Saturday Morning cartoon blocks ended because of low viewership; I have said this to you repeatedly in the past. I presented several links, supporting that fact.

Also, by association with gangs, street fighters are also no longer popular.

Why are you worried about the FCC? They have zero interest in, and no power over, whatever you are working on.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:06 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The point I was making is cartoon creators have more freedom to do whatever they want with their shows on cable/satellite TV. They don't have the FCC and other censorship groups bothering them.

I'm not "worried" about the FCC.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
So people (automatically) assume street fighters are all tied to gangs?
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Saturday Morning cartoon blocks ended because of low viewership; I have said this to you repeatedly in the past. I presented several links, supporting that fact.

Is this the same reason weekday morning and weekday afternoon cartoon blocks on broadcast TV ended too?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
You don't want to make them think they can solve most if not all their problems with violence.

That was the point in the final fights seen in Regular Show, Steven Universe, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

*Pops (who has been a pacifist in the entire show) has to fight his evil twin. He ultimately wins by using love.

*Aang (raised as a monk) was trying to figure out how to defeat the main villain without killing him, which is what some characters have suggested. He found one way: remove his powers.

*Steven turned into a monster due to his poor mental health. His friends, who don't want to fight him, use love.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:17 pm
According to what I read the FCC only affects over-the-air broadcasting. What censorship groups, if any, affect streaming services?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:17 pm
@JGoldman10,
Either that, or they think of the Capcom fighting game of the same name.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:19 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's why I think it would be better to depict heroes fighting villains without resorting to physical violence.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Why were Street Fighter, Double Dragon, and Mortal Kombat once popular between the '80s and '90s?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
The streaming services still submit their shows to the FCC's TV Parental Guidelines, so that each show is rated.

However, it is completely voluntary; the streaming services could produce unrated shows without any legal repercussions.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 08:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are still popular because they kept improving on their gameplay and graphics.

Double Dragon lost popularity due to the fading interest of side scrolling beat em ups.

Can't say if the games' setting and genre were key parts of their popularity.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 09:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Rebelofnj wrote:

Is this the same reason weekday morning and weekday afternoon cartoon blocks on broadcast TV ended too?

Okay. Reb you didn't answer this question.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2020 09:15 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm assuming that is the same reason.

You are really insisted in getting an answer for every question you ask.
0 Replies