Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:57 am
@Rebelofnj,
Yes I watched The Looney Tunes Show. I thought Tina was an interesting character.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:01 am
@JGoldman10,
Atlantis: The Lost Empire (2001) - the legend of Atlantis
Moana (2016) - Polynesian mythology.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire was ok, but it did look nice. Moana is one of Disney's best films.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:02 am
@Rebelofnj,
I forgot about Atlantis.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:23 am
@JGoldman10,
There’s some mythological stuff in Fantasia as well.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:28 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

So the episode in which Gyro makes Donald swallow a voice changer and the episode in which Donald meets the Goof Troop version of Goofy are the same episode?

Cheadle voiced Donald in both instances.

What I'm referring to here was all part of one episode?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:40 am
@JGoldman10,
I don't watch the show, so it looks like I'm wrong.

Cheadle voiced Donald for 2 episodes.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 08:44 am
@JGoldman10,
I thought you didn't care for mythological and fantasy films?

Frozen II also has its own mythology based on the classical elements (fire, earth, water, air).
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 09:08 am
@Rebelofnj,
I don't but we're talking about Disney films.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 01:13 pm
@JGoldman10,
The Disney owned Pixar Studios have produced films based on mythology and legends.

*Brave (2012) - Scottish folklore
*Coco (2017) - Mexican folklore
*Onward (2020) - Traditional fantasy

Odd that, for a former animation student, you forgot about several major animated films.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:06 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The first Atlantis film came out a few years after I graduated art school, about two decades ago. I do recall hearing about it. I remember seeing part of it on TV.

Dozens of animated films, theatrical and/or direct-to-video, get produced every year. I don't keep up with every single cartoon film that gets made.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:08 pm
Since Disney now owns part of Fox, and Anastasia was produced by Fox does that mean Disney owns this movie now?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 03:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
Understandable to miss most animated films like Spies in Disguise and The Adventures of Tintin.

However, most of the Disney and Pixar films I mentioned had pretty extensive marketing campaigns, with ads on TV and online. In addition, there is tie-in merchandise to be found in every major retail store, supermarket, and pharmacy. One would have to blind to truly ignore all of it.

Don Bluth's Anastasia is now a Disney owned property, but it is not yet available on Disney Plus. Due to existing licensing deals, the film is currently available to watch on HBO MAX.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Like I said in another thread, a lot of stuff gets advertised on TV and with various media- through radio, the internet, and presumably still through newspapers and mags.

A lot of times when stuff comes on TV I dismiss it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:17 pm
I actually watched the animated Tintin film Speilberg produced.

How is trying to keep up with all these animated films that are made going to help me produce any animation and/or comics?
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:34 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don’t know. I thought you would, you’re the one doing it. I thought you might have a reason.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:35 pm
@JGoldman10,
It helps to pay attention what is being released, so that you know what is popular now (you have asked numerous times what today's kids like).

Plus, a film may come out with an idea that is similar to yours, which may force you to modify the idea or abandon it completely.

Example 1: Pixar cancelled their film Newt when they realized that it was too similar to the Blue Sky film Rio (last of a species finding a mate).

Example 2: it was reported that plans to adapt the DC/Vertigo comic Fables as a TV series were shelved due to the production of ABC's Once Upon a Time. Both series have similar premises: fairy tales living in the modern day, with Snow White as a main character.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I just want to produce some animated cartoons and comics that I can showcase online and monetize.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:44 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm more interested in getting what I need to produce animation and comics, which includes furthering my training so I can learn how to voice act professionally and learning how to produce comics professionally, and keeping up with technology.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
IYO, how important is keeping up with cartoon shows that are being produced?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
To repeat:
It helps to pay attention what is being released, so that you know what is popular now (you have asked numerous times what today's kids like).

For years, some shows have been produced in response to another show's success. The results vary: Comedy Central made Moonbeam City, modeled after FX's Archer, but it was cancelled after one season. There are also those numerous Scooby Doo clones (Jabberjaws for example).

Also, are you worried that someone may accidentally make a series that is similar to your ideas?