Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 12:42 pm
The 2020 Primetime Emmys were announced today. Here are the nominations for the animation categories.

Outstanding Animated Program
*Big Mouth: "Disclosure The Movie: The Musical!" - Netflix
*Bob's Burgers:"Pig Trouble In Little Tina" - FOX
*BoJack Horseman: "The View From Halfway Down" - Netflix
*Rick And Morty: "The Vat Of Acid Episode" - Adult Swim
*The Simpsons: "Thanksgiving Of Horror" - FOX

Outstanding Short Format Animated Program
*Forky Asks A Question: What Is Love? - Disney+
*Robot Chicken: "Santa's Dead (Spoiler Alert) Holiday Murder Thing Special" - Adult Swim
*Steven Universe Future: "Fragments" - Cartoon Network

Outstanding Children's Program
*Jim Henson's The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance - Netflix
*Star Wars Resistance - Disney Channel
*We Are The Dream: The Kids Of The Oakland MLK Oratorical Fest - HBO
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:13 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Lol.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2020 03:14 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know Wario is not as famous or as popular as the Mario Bros. despite having two spin-off series in the Mario franchise.

I wouldn't say I'm a Waluigi fan. I haven't played any Nintendo console games in years.

I know little about Wario or Waluigi.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2020 06:23 pm
Why is the DuckTales reboot popular if it's not for the reasons I gave?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 29 Jul, 2020 06:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
I'm just going to copy comments that others wrote from Reddit on why people like the show:

*Stellar writing, almost unparalleled voice cast (though it would be nice to see more big name VAs in addition to conventional actors), and frequently taps into that sweet nostalgia for the original Ducktales, Talespin and Darkwing duck.

*It starts out kinda weak, picks up in the mid-season, and then gets really good once the plot fully kicks in near the end.

*Good, this show greatly respects and keeps the spirit of the Scrooge comics while still managing to feel fresh.

*THIS is how you reboot a ******* franchise. They've made it totally faithful to the original, incorporated a lot more from the classic comics which is reflected in the art style, updated it for 2017 without trying to make it "hip and trendy", and nodded to several other Disney entities along the way.

*The show has absolutely no right to be this good. It's a reboot, but it's a reboot *done right*. There's myriads of references to the old show everywhere, but at the same time the characters are fresh and there's actual character development. Plus the new characters are all great. Plus the stories are actually interesting and there's an overall season-long plot.

*I loved it! Grew up with the original (born in '84), and I went into this with some serious trepidation. But this was even better than the old show. The jokes were great, the action was great, and I love the hints at an actual ongoing plot.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 12:59 am
@Rebelofnj,
That confirms part of what I said - they are cashing in on people's nostalgia.

I know David Tenant and Don Cheadle voice Scrooge McDuck and Donald Duck, respectively. Tenant and Cheadle are major stars.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 04:59 am
@JGoldman10,
Nostalgia is always a reason for producing any reboot, sequel, and remake.

It is why Disney has been producing live action remakes of their animated films and why nearly all of them are financially successful.

Also, Don Cheadle was only the voice of Donald Duck for a single episode; Tony Anselmo is still the main voice actor for Donald.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 05:04 am
@JGoldman10,
David Tennant is a genuine Scot. Scrooge McDuck has never had a Scottish accent, he’s always had some awful parody of one like groundskeeper Willy or Scotty from Star Trek.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 06:44 am
@Rebelofnj,
So the episode in which Gyro makes Donald swallow a voice changer and the episode in which Donald meets the Goof Troop version of Goofy are the same episode?

Cheadle voiced Donald in both instances.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 06:50 am
@Rebelofnj,
To me it seems like a waste to remake classic animated films as live action ones when there are dozens of established works of literature - fairy tales, legends, folk tales, myths, novels, etc. - Disney has never officially made animated films out of. There are also completely original animated films Disney could make also.

I know for decades Disney was struggling to make a feature animated adaptation of Don Quixote for whatever reason.

I read somewhere Disney was planning on releasing a feature animated film based on Jack and the Beanstalk but that project was scrapped.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:16 am
@Rebelofnj,
Maybe the reason WB's The Looney Tunes Show from the 2010's wasn't as popular as WB wanted it to be because while they they revamped and updated the classic WB characters to make them more relatable for modern audiences and updated everything else in the show the show depended too much on being "hip and trendy" rather than on good storytelling.

On one hand they rebooted the classic WB characters to make them appeal to this gen's kids and on the other they made the show TV-PG to appeal to older audiences. The show was sprinkled with adult humor and material.

They made the show like an animated sitcom sans the laughtrack.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:24 am
@Rebelofnj,
Donald Duck is a major Disney cartoon character, a classic character that, like WB's Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck, has been around since the Golden Age of Hollywood cartoons. He's also a major character in the Scrooge McDuck comics. Is the fact they made him a main character in the DuckTales reboot another reason for the show's popularity and success?
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:36 am
@JGoldman10,
Creatively, the live action remakes can be seen as a waste, though I do like the Aladdin and Cinderella remakes.

Financially, the remakes are a success, with several of them making over $1 billion in the box office.

And Disney is aware of the existence of other fairy tales; Walt Disney bought several hundred fairy tale books when he went to Europe in the 30s.

However, some of the fairy tales are hard to adapt into feature films as most of them were either too dark or had no traditional story structure. It took decades for Disney to produce adaptations of Beauty & The Beast, The Little Mermaid, and The Snow Queen.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:40 am
@Rebelofnj,
And as I said there are other types of established works of lit besides fairy tales Disney could make animated films out of.

And completely original animated films Disney could produce.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:42 am
@JGoldman10,
I'm well aware of who Donald Duck is. I have watched a lot of Disney films and shows these last few months.

From what I have seen, Scrooge and the children are the main characters, while Donald is only a supporting character. He does have a handful of spotlight episodes.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:47 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Maybe the reason WB's The Looney Tunes Show from the 2010's wasn't as popular as WB wanted it to be because while they revamped and updated the classic WB characters to make them more relatable for modern audiences and updated everything else in the show the show depended too much on being "hip and trendy" rather than on good storytelling.

On one hand they rebooted the classic WB characters to make them appeal to this gen's kids and on the other they made the show TV-PG to appeal to older audiences. The show was sprinkled with adult humor and material.

They made the show like an animated sitcom sans the laughtrack.

-FIXED.

Maybe another reason the show didn't do as well as WB anticipated was because kids and general audiences didn't find it that funny. Maybe the comedy writing suffered because they were depending on the show being "hip and trendy"?

I don't know.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:49 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I'm well aware of who Donald Duck is. I have watched a lot of Disney films and shows these last few months.

Most people know who Donald Duck is or have heard of him. I was just stating he's an iconic Disney character.

I watched Disney cartoons in my youth.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:52 am
@JGoldman10,
Disney is already working on an original film, Raya & The Last Dragon, which should come out this year, though it may be delayed.

Disney is also working on a Rose Red film, likely as a sequel to their Snow White film. They had aleady adapted other fairy tales (Rumpelstiltskin, Red Riding Hood) as part of their Once Upon A Time tv series.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:55 am
@JGoldman10,
Have you seen the show?

Personally, I liked it but it does have a slower pace and not as funny as the older shorts. The musical numbers (Daffy's high fantasy dream, Lola's President's Day song) are pretty good.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2020 07:56 am
@Rebelofnj,
Are there any myths and legends Disney is making animated films out of?

The last myth or legend I can think of that Disney made a feature animated film out of was Hercules.