Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 24 Jul, 2020 05:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:45 am
Warner Bros also announced a Bugs Bunny 80th Anniversary Blu-Ray release. It will include 60 theatrical shorts, a small Bugs figure, and a new What's Up Doc-umentary.

It is available for pre-order at $75, and it is expected to have a late 2020 release.
https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=27159
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 11:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
It'd be interesting if they come out with a similar Blu-ray release for Daffy Duck.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 12:03 pm
@JGoldman10,
Well, Daffy's 80th Anniversary was in 2017, but it appears he never received a special Blu-Ray release at the time.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 12:32 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's very surprising to say the least. Bugs and Daffy, as most people know, I presume, are WB's two biggest cartoon stars.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 01:24 pm
@JGoldman10,
They are WB's major classic characters, but they have been out of the spotlight for years. The last 2 animated shows from the 2010s (not counting the HBO MAX shorts) were not exactly popular.

WB seemed focused on their DC and Harry Potter properties in the last several years, which was why people were surprised that they announced plans to produce more Looney Tunes shorts for HBO MAX.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 01:55 pm
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 02:12 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

They are WB's major classic characters, but they have been out of the spotlight for years. The last 2 animated shows from the 2010s (not counting the HBO MAX shorts) were not exactly popular.

I know. I think Golden Age cartoon characters in general aren't very popular these days.

I assume that Mickey Mouse animated short series that Disney had on cable/satellite TV from the 2010s had limited appeal. In this series they produced cartoon shorts that were throwbacks to classic Disney shorts from the '30s.

I think the main reason the DuckTales reboot has any kind of following is they are cashing in on people's nostalgia which is why they are featuring numerous appearances of characters from classic Disney shows in the series. Yes they rebooted the series to appeal to this gen's children but I think this show has a niche following in general. I don't know how popular it is.

I don't think the new DuckTales series will be as popular as the original.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 02:25 pm
Cartoons can generate millions of views online somewhere but that doesn't necessarily mean they are very popular outside of the internet.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I meant to say Bugs and Daffy are WB's two biggest classic cartoon stars.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
My nieces and nephews watch those throwback Mickey Mouse shorts, but they usually prefer the newer 3D computer animated Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Mickey Mouse Roadster Racers.

From what I can find, Ducktales has been getting high viewership.
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/ratings/2018/05/09/disney-channels-ducktales-hits-new-series-highs-849414/20180509disney01/#:~:text=In%20fact%2C%20"DuckTales"%20ranked,2.5%20million%20Kids%206-11.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Why is the new Looney Tunes series on HBO Max so popular?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 03:55 pm
@JGoldman10,
The new shorts are pretty good, for the most part. However, they are not as popular as some of the other shows on HBO MAX; Steven Universe, Adventure Time, and older shows like Friends and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air are more popular

As of now, HBO MAX has a section celebrating Bugs Bunny's 80th anniversary. They are showcasing the first Bugs cartoons from the 30s and 40s, and the very best cartoons such as What's Opera, Doc?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 25 Jul, 2020 04:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 05:54 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
Cartoons can generate millions of views online somewhere but that doesn't necessarily mean they are very popular outside of the internet.

I had tried to explain that to you months ago, when you claimed Waluigi was "the most sensationalized, most talked-about fictional character to date since Roger Rabbit" when in reality, the character only had a vocally loud small fanbase.
https://able2know.org/topic/530541-6#post-7005316
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 07:53 am
@Rebelofnj,
Okay, but I'm not talking about that.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 07:59 am
@Rebelofnj,
I bet they’re not showcasing all of them. I saw one where the Elmer Fudd type character was black and the whole cartoon seemed to be about how they’re all feckless gamblers and quite stupid.

A lot of the old ones are problematic, and it’s not just racism. Over here certain Tom and Jerry cartoons have been removed/edited from Boomerang because of all the smoking.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 08:19 am
@izzythepush,
Yeah, WB is very hesistant in releasing the Censored Eleven cartoons from the 30s/40s, which includes the one Bugs Bunny short All This and Rabbit Stew, due to racial depictions.

I'm guessing they are showcasing the cartoons they are comfortable with.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2020 08:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
Going by what I had seen, heard and read online, the way the media and the press was going on about Waluigi I was under the impression that the character was very popular.

I recall there were dozens of newspaper and magazine articles written about Roger Rabbit, around the time Who Framed Roger Rabbit was in theaters, and the media talked about and celebrated the character for a while, and a number of references were made to Roger Rabbit in pop culture around that time, that's why I made the comparison between the two characters.