Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
People did talk about the Joker film. It won awards, it made over $1 billion in the box office.

I forgot to include it because I was talking about the films that are part of the DCEU continuity. I also forgot the recent Birds of Prey film. It is not hard to find this information online.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Waluigi is still an assist trophy.

Nintendo just confirmed that new character Min Min from the ARMS fighting game will be added to Smash Bros later in the month.

Do you actually play Super Smash Bros Ultimate?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:01 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I've never played any of the Smash games. I've seen reviews for some of them on TV, read about some in magazines, and I have seen, heard and read about them online.

I forgot which game it was but I recall seeing a review for one of the Smash games on X-Play. In this game Wario and Solid Snake were added as new playable characters.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I haven't played any console games in years. The last console I ever owned was an N64.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
Super Smash Bros Brawl came out in 2008, 12 years ago.

I remember watching X-Play years ago, but I cannot remember anything specific about it or its episodes.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 04:22 pm
@JGoldman10,
Needless to say, and as you know, video games have changed significantly since the N64, in both graphical power and narrative styles.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 07:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know that. Nintendo has come out with dozens of different consoles since then.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 07:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Only 4 Nintendo consoles since the N64, not counting the various handheld Gameboy and DS iterations.

Likewise, there has been 5 Smash Bros games, one for each console since and including the N64.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2020 05:31 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I was including handheld consoles.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:11 pm
Related to the main thread:

Disney has released a 6 part (30+ min each) documentary on the making of Frozen II on Disney Plus. It focuses on the animation process, voice acting, and the songwriting, as well as looking at audience feedback.

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:23 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I asked in another thread if Hollywood is planning on making any new live-action/traditionally-animated feature films. I said I know that Disney came out with a new Mary Poppins film that was released in theatres a few years back. I said I know Disney and Warner Bros. are still in the biz of making traditionally animated films but most of them are either direct-to-video or made-for-TV.

You said:

Rebelofnj wrote:

The only one I can think of is Space Jam 2, which is coming out next year.

I'm guessing the still in development sequel to Disney's Enchanted will use traditional animation once they finalize the details.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:38 pm
@JGoldman10,
Those kinds of hybrid films (specifically films where live action actors interact with traditional animation characters and sets) are very uncommon to begin with.

There have only been a handful of successful films and many more flops.

For every Roger Rabbit, there are many films like Cool World and Looney Tunes: Back in Action that have flopped and are promptly forgotten about.

Hybrid live action/computer animation are much more common and more commercially successful.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
I should mention that Enchanted did not have any scenes where the animated characters interacted with the live action actors.

When the animated characters moved to the real world, they became live action themselves. The reverse happens as well: live action actors becoming animated when they enter the magical kingdom.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:46 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What do you mean by "computer animation"? Do you mean 3D CGI?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Space Jam were the last two live-action/traditionally-animated films I know of that were widely successful.

I don't know how well Cool World did in theatres and I didn't like that film. Ralph Bakshi produced a handful of live-action/traditionally-animated films before that one.

I don't know how well that new Mary Poppins movie did.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm getting Enchanted mixed up with Tangled. I know Tangled is based on Rapunzel.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 06:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
Computer Animation = 3D CGI
I didn't think I had to specify.

Avatar and Avengers: Endgame are the most successful films in history, and both feature live action actors interacting with CGI characters.

According to Wikipedia, Cool World was a major financial flop that killed Bakshi's film career.

Mary Poppins Returns was successful, but the animated sequence was only a small part of the film and the film's success relied heavily on the music, the cast, and nostalgia.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:01 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I thought you meant 3D CGI. Computer animation can also mean traditional animation that's produced with digital ink and paint or any 2D animation produced with computers like Flash animation or Commodore Amiga animation.

Most traditional animation produced now is produced using digital ink and paint.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:02 pm
@JGoldman10,
Tangled was planned to be traditionally animated, to be directed by Glen Keane, a Disney veteran who has worked on most of their animated films since 1977's The Rescuers.

When it was changed to CGI animation, Keane (who stepped down from director but stayed as producer) wanted the art style to be influenced by oil painter Jean-Honoré Fragonard.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Warner Bros. is coming out with with a live-action/CGI New Gods film. Darkseid is going to be CGI.

I'm guessing they are doing this in response to the Avengers movies with the CGI Thanos in them.
Rebelofnj

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2020 07:07 pm
@JGoldman10,
I don't think any modern film, regardless of genre or production, uses Commodore Amiga computers anymore. Those have been discontinued since the 90s.