Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 03:16 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I don't know too much about comics but okay.

There are a number of cartoon shows that were crappy quality productions but were popular because they were story-driven.

Beavis and Butthead is a good example. Regular Show is another one.

A lot of popular Adult Swim shows were crappy but had good stories.

Since adult cartoon makers are catering to adult audiences the cartoon makers often assume adult audiences aren't going to care about quality-looking productions.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 03:27 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
cartoon makers often assume adult audiences aren't going to care about quality-looking productions.

Again, not always true. The later seasons of Archer look much nicer than the early seasons, though the quality of the writing has been declining since Season 7.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 03:28 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I said often, not all the time.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 04:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Since adult cartoon makers are catering to adult audiences the cartoon makers often assume adult audiences aren't going to care about quality-looking productions.

That's an arrogance that's certainly NOT refreshing. One could say it's based on subjectivity but even at an anecdotal stance, I doubt you expose yourself beyond the Fox network adult animated series and are missing a few hundred thousand mature (not read as explicitly overly sexualized) adult-targeted animated series.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 04:28 pm
@JGoldman10,
So, are any of your projects going to have an equal ratio of style and substance? Meaning that you are not going to sacrifice one aspect to improve the other?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 06:03 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Correct.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2020 06:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Believe it or not I used to watch Adult Swim. I stopped watching it for religious reasons. Too many shows on there were sacrilegious and blasphemous, and went against my beliefs as a Christian. This includes Family Guy and American Dad. Some shows were worse than others. Morel Orel was one of the WORST shows they ever aired on there.

A lot of shows on Adult Swim were bad for other reasons.

I haven't watched The Simpsons in years. I don't watch the adult cartoons they show on FOX. I don't like The Simpsons.

King Of The Hill is realistic but boring.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:26 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm interested in focusing on good storytelling and good comedy writing.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 12:47 pm
@JGoldman10,
I know. You have made that clear many times.

However, I have not seen any example of your story writing. No lines of dialogue, no scripts, nothing, so I can't truthfully say if you are a good writer or not.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2020 07:48 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Remember you said I shouldn't be hesitant to post more artwork online and not be overtly concerned about people wanting to steal my work, or something along these lines?

I want to do this, but I'm having an issue with uploading artwork that I have snapped pics of and gave editing in my phone to any online photo albums and/or to certain sites online like Deviantart or Newgrounds.

I downloaded a Microsoft Word app. I'm not sure if I would a similar issue trying to upload my creative writing work anyplace online. I haven't used this app yet.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 05:15 am
@Rebelofnj,
Well going by what I've seen, read and heard about Waluigi online I assumed he was a very popular character. Super Smash Bros. is a very popular video game series. I know millions of video game fans of all ages wanted to see Waluigi playable in a Smash game and they petitioned Nintendo to make him playable in a Smash game.

I think the real reason this character hasn't been playable in any Smash game yet is because the development team don't want to create any kind of upset to the infrastructure of the games.

If they were to make Waluigi playable then they'd probably have to scramble around to figure out what character they should get to replace him as an assist trophy.

This is just a theory.

I know for a while "Bowsette" was a worldwide cultural phenomenon on and outside of the Internet. The craze originated with a cartoon that was showcased on social media. The cartoon was quickly circulated on lots of people took notice.

This was unusual for a fan-made Mario character.
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 06:38 am
@JGoldman10,
As I said before, you do have a skewed perspective on what is exactly popular.

Waluigi has a dedicated fanbase, but it is relatively small compared to those of many other characters in Smash Bros.

It would be pretty easy to replace Waluigi's assist trophy or even remove it all together if they decided to have him as a playable character. It is not like his assist trophy is essential to the game.

As for Bowsette, it was briefly a popular creation online, but it was by no means a worldwide cultural phenomenon.
Meanwhile, Frozen (two highly successful films and billions made through merchandise) and the Marvel Cinematic Universe films (22+ films in under 12 years, all successful) are actual worldwide phenomenon.

No one doesn't really talk about Bowsette anymore. People, however, will still talk about the Marvel films and Frozen, and will quote favorite lines/songs from the films ("I am Iron Man", "I see this as an absolute win!", "The cold never bothered me anyway", "Do you want to build a snowman?").
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 10:49 am
@JGoldman10,
According to Google search trends from the last 5 years, I compared the terms Frozen, Waluigi, and Bowsette to see which is the most searched term.

99% of people searched for Frozen, while Waluigi and Bowsette each had less than 1% of searches.
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today%205-y&geo=US&q=Frozen,Waluigi,Bowsette

In the last 5 years, the term Frozen peaked at November 2019, when the sequel came out.
Waluigi peaked at June 2018, when Nintendo announced the new Smash Bros game and Waluigi was excluded.
Bowsette peaked at September 2018, when the first fan art was released. That popularity quickly declined afterwards.
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 02:29 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. What DC movies do people talk about?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 02:44 pm
@JGoldman10,
Fans talk about the more recent films: Wonder Wonder (and its upcoming sequel), Shazam, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, the upcoming new Batman film, the upcoming re-cut of 2017's Justice League.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 02:50 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Okay. What DC movies do people talk about?

Wonder Woman 1984
The Batman (2021)
Justice League: The Snyder Cut
The Flash (2022): rumors of Michael Keaton coming back as Batman
Watchmen (because of the HBO series is still fresh in the zeitgeist)
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:07 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay. How come no one's talking about Joker?
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

Fans talk about the more recent films: Wonder Woman (and its upcoming sequel), Shazam, Aquaman, Suicide Squad, the upcoming new Batman film, the upcoming re-cut of 2017's Justice League.

-FIXED.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:09 pm
@Rebelofnj,
As far as I know Waluigi is still an assist trophy. This status may change - Nintendo is talking about adding new DLCs to Smash.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2020 03:12 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Okay. How come no one's talking about Joker?

Because he shouldn't have to comprehensively list EVERY movie out there. He's human. This isn't his job. You can try to look up these answers yourself if you're not satisfied with the scope and depth of his answers.

https://imgur.com/6GG0T6H.jpg
The Joker is presently the 14th most popular movie trending on IMDb.
0 Replies