Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:37 pm
@JGoldman10,
According to Wikipedia:
"Early usage of the term politically correct by leftists in the 1970s and '80s was as self-critical satire; usage was ironic, rather than a name for a serious political movement.[7][11][12][13] It was considered an in-joke among leftists used to satirise those who were too rigid in their adherence to political orthodoxy.[14]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

The article suggests that being politically correct was on the rise as a response to the Reagan years in the US.

The civil rights movements in the 60s and the ripple effect beyond was also responsible for major social changes.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

When did political correctness become such a big thing? That's a big reason there's a lot of societal changes.

And a bible-thumping, very possibly misogynist, homophobic furry (erotic adjacent)* series will likely NOT take off or even be considered for production. And rightfully so. Children are socially and emotionally smarter consumers and individuals these days than 80s and 90s pop garbage fed children.

*AKA an explicitly antipolitical-correct series.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

When did political correctness become such a big thing? That's a big reason there's a lot of societal changes.

And a bible-thumping, very possibly misogynist, homophobic furry (erotic adjacent)* series will likely NOT take off or even be considered for production. And rightfully so. Children are socially and emotionally smarter consumers and individuals these days than 80s and 90s pop garbage fed children.

*AKA an explicitly antipolitical-correct series.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:49 pm
@JGoldman10,
What are you producing that would be considered politically incorrect in the modern day?

It shouldn't be too hard to avoid using outdated stereotypes and language.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:04 pm
@Sturgis,
When I was in Christiania in Copenhagen I spoke to a real character who told me some mythological story about a Manx hero who dispelled an illusion by throwing salt over his shoulder, which is where the practice comes from apparently.

The Isle of Man is a tax haven, with an enormous amount of companies registered there. That’s its main form of income. That and rich retired people.

There’s an annual motorbike race as well.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:08 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I am aware political correctness became a thing some time in the '90s and onward. I wasn't aware it was a thing in the late '80s.

A handful of people I know have said my toon and comic ideas are/were dated, even if they are being aimed at kids.

However there is a market for throwbacky material.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:15 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Seth MacFarlane, of Family Guy fame, and Kyle Carrozza, the creator of Mighty Magiswords, got their starts in animation around the time I was in art school.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:41 pm
@JGoldman10,
Throwback works are popular if they are self-aware.

For example, Disney's Enchanted made fun of the love cliches used in older Disney films. The animated sections is very clearly based on Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, and Cinderella

There is also the short film Kung Fury, which is a homage of 80s action films.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:58 pm
@JGoldman10,
Most modern cartoons are more mature than older works.

Steven Universe focused on the main character dealing with his late mother's unfinished business in the aftermath of a war, while the final season dealt with him having post traumatic stress disorder.

Avatar: The Last Airbender dealt with the main character being forced into the heavy burden of stopping global war despite being 10 years old.

The final episodes of Star Wars: Clone Wars had the end of the wars and the deaths of many characters.

Hey Arnold (series 1996-2004, final special 2017) had parental neglect affecting Helga and Arnold dealing with the presumed deaths of his parents.

Adventure Time made it a point to show that the early villain the Ice King is mentally sick and in desperate need of help. He got better by the final episode.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 08:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The Cuphead video games are an example of what I meant by throwbacky. The games were designed to look like old Golden Age Hollywood cartoons. I'm not a fan but I'm surprised there's no official cartoon series based on these games being produced.

Didn't you say modern cartoons that are throwbacks to old '80s and '90s TV cartoons were popular?

Couldn't modern cartoons that are throwbacks to old Hollywood Golden Age cartoons be popular?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:11 pm
@JGoldman10,
"The acclaimed side-scrolling video game "Cuphead," inspired by cartoon classics of the Thirties, will become an animated Netflix TV series called "The Cuphead Show," the online video provider announced Tuesday."
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/gaming/2019/07/09/netflix-oks-cuphead-animated-tv-series-based-video-game/1684040001/

A 2021 release date seems likely.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:21 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Are there ANY original animated cartoons that are/were being produced and showcased on YouTube, Dailymotion, Metacafe and other video-sharing sites that are popular?

A lot of the stuff I've seen on video-sharing sites is fan-based and derivative. Stuff based on something else.

Foamy the Squirrel is an original animated series on YouTube. It's been around for years but I don't know how popular it is now.

Annoying Orange is an original series on YouTube that used to be very popular.

How popular are video slideshows of original comics on these sites?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:25 pm
@JGoldman10,
I remember saying there have been several recent reboots of 80s/90s cartoons, but their popularity varies.

The new Voltron and She-Ra cartoons had multiple seasons on Netflix and sizable fanbases, but neither was as popular as any recent Disney film.

Meanwhile, the 10 new Looney Tunes shorts have been out since Wednesday on HBO MAX, but they haven't reached widespread popularity yet, if they will at all.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:39 pm
@JGoldman10,
I do not use Dailymotion or Metacafe. I have said this multiple times, so quit asking about them.

I only heard of Foamy the Squirrel because you mentioned them before. When I checked, it was not widely popular.

I cannot think of any comic slideshows that are remotely popular.

The anime-esque series RWBY, produced by Rooster Teeth, first aired on YouTube, and it has been very successful. It currently has 7 seasons, a lighthearted spinoff series, and a tie-in comic published by DC comics. It will air new seasons on HBO MAX later in the year.

Rooster Teeth and its companion site Achievement Hunter have also produced animated shorts, using audio from their podcasts or their gameplay videos. Those have been popular as well.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:53 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I'm not talking about reboots.

Regular Show is an example of a modern cartoon that's a throwback to old '80s/'90s cartoons.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 09:59 pm
@JGoldman10,
I previously said that while Regular Show played homage to 80s pop culture, it was not strictly about the 80s. It was popular because of the characters and their very odd adventures.

It was pretty evident in the final episode: the characters growing up and moving on with their lives.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:02 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I know. The two main characters get married at the end.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:09 pm
@JGoldman10,
To clarify, Mordecai married a woman he met at an art gallery, while Rigby married longtime girlfriend Eileen.
The ending montage doesn't show any wedding.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:11 pm
@Rebelofnj,
That's not important. They ended up getting married and had kids of their own.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:15 pm
Shocked
0 Replies