Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 08:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
Merchandise sales and the longterm impact in pop culture are also major factors of a show's popularity.

The 2003 animated show is still fondly remembered by the original audience, while Teen Titans Go is popular with a younger fanbase.
All of this led to a 2019 film crossover between the 2003 show and new show.

Funny enough, the Teen Titans comics haven't used the shows' same cast of characters since the 80s. The recent comics have a very different roster, with Robin still the only consistent character (though this is currently the 4th Robin).
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 24 May, 2020 09:04 pm
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
I know a cartoon, comic, video game, etc. is popular if it sparks a large amount of fan art and/or other fan-made stuff online.

In that case, there is a lot of fan art of Frozen's Elsa online. More often than not, fans create artwork of Elsa with a romantic partner, as the films and shorts have avoided giving her any love interests.

There are also many videos of fans performing Let It Go.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:06 am
@Rebelofnj,
Apparently Teen Titans Go! was popular enough to get a theatrical movie.
Rebelofnj

Reply Tue 26 May, 2020 04:27 am
@JGoldman10,
Yes, that was discussed before.

However, the film was not a major financial success, earning only $52 million worldwide. Though since the film only had a $10 million budget, it was not a flop.

Have you seen the flim?
Rebelofnj

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 06:43 am
Now that HBO MAX has launched, I should note the number of animated shows and films available.

*10 twelve minute episodes of the new Looney Tunes
*all 5 seasons of the 90s show Sylvester and Tweety Mysteries
*all 2 seasons of The Looney Tunes Show
*over 100 Looney Tunes shorts, from 1931 to 2005
*17 Anime series from Crunchyroll
*21 films by Studio Ghibli
*9 animated shows from Adult Swim
*20 animated shows from Cartoon Network
*15 animated shows and films from DC Comics
*18 Hanna-Barbera shows
*9 HBO kids shows
*over 50 animated films from other studios
JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 10:49 pm
@Rebelofnj,
No.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Wed 27 May, 2020 11:25 pm
@Rebelofnj,
It would be nice if they showcased old documentary films about animation like Bugs Bunny: Superstar on HBO Max. I watched that years ago and that was interesting, from a historical standpoint.

They should showcase newer ones too.

Since WB owns the rights to old MGM and H-B cartoon properties they should showcase document films about these cartoon properties.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 05:12 am
@JGoldman10,
The Netflix series The Toys That Made Us is about the history of several toy lines, and they do talk about the animated shows related to the toys: GI Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, etc.

HBO MAX has hundreds of documentaries that cover different topics and events, but nothing regarding animation history.
JGoldman10

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 05:38 am
@Rebelofnj,
They should. They should run documentary films and specials on animation history on Cartoon Network and/or Boomerang.

I recall watching some documentary special on Chuck Jones on CN back in the late '90s.

These days it's rare to see classic Hollywood cartoons, which includes Disney and WB cartoons, on cable/satellite TV. They don't even show classic Tom and Jerry shorts on cable/satellite TV that often anymore either.

A lot has changed in TV since the '80s and '90s.
Rebelofnj

Reply Thu 28 May, 2020 05:58 am
@JGoldman10,
Quote:
A lot has changed in TV since the '80s and '90s.

Partly because the audiences who grew up on 80s and 90s cartoons are now in charge of creating new cartoons.

Boomerang still exists as a cable channel that plays classic cartoons. As of now, they will play 2 hours of Looney Tunes shorts and at 10am EST they will play 2 hours of Tom and Jerry.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 02:05 am
@Rebelofnj,
No, I meant TV and the animation market and industry has changed a lot since the '80s and '90s.

Regular weekday morning, weekday afternoon and Saturday morning cartoons on broadcast TV are a thing of the past. The only cartoons shown on broadcast TV now are edutainment ones and the adult ones they run in primetime. I know I've brought this up numerous times in the past.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 04:31 am
@JGoldman10,
You can't expect things to stay the same, with changes in technology and society happening daily.

Of course television in 2010s is different than the 90s, similar to how the 90s is different than the 70s and how the 70s is different than the 50s.
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 12:07 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

You can't expect things to stay the same, with changes in technology and society happening daily.

Of course television in 2010s is different than the 90s, similar to how the 90s is different than the 70s and how the 70s is different than the 50s.

But remaining socially, politically, emotionally, culturally, and intellectually stunted is JGoldman's die-hard worldview.

Reading his post history here at a2k for 10 years (longer if you come across his older post history), he shows very little ability or willingness to grow as a person. Even when it comes to his career choice as a possible animator/comic artist. He constantly refers to dead technology as the only preferred tools that he wants to use to kickstart a career that has been barely treading water for almost two decades.

He wants to become successful culture captain (admirable pursuit) but of the Titanic (not so admirable) only after it completely sank and now is resting decades on the ocean floor.

All of his potential projects are some of the tropiest 80s and 90s schlock (fine, not my cup of tea). Those tropes have sailed, sunk, and are rotting at the bottom of the cultural ocean with their long-forgotten crews. Of course, he's unwilling to understand why the animation landscape of this and the previous decade aren't like that of 30 or 40 years ago.

Even if you take the Sentimental cycle that defines each decade (taking the style and substance of several decades (through oversimplification) back and making it Pop Culture of the present day)? That can go only so far and now, the 80s and 90s sentimental rebootization (TM pending) is long past its peak and fading away into expected obscurity.

I'm never surprised that JGoldman is confused by how far the animation scene has evolved and progressed. I think he needs to evolve into the 21st century if he wants to achieve success in his career pursuits. Otherwise, I'm not sure he can even stumble into or beyond the very terrifying Evangelical Christian super-niche of schlocky content creators. The ones that make garbage like Assassin 33 A.D., The Myth of Safe Sex, Colby's Clubhouse AKA Colby the Christian Robot; Hell's Bells: The Dangers of Rock 'N' Roll, etc....

One can hope and dream, can't we?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 01:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Even more weird is that JG has had online access for years. He was active online since at least the early 2000s. One would think he would be aware of changes in animation or pop culture in general, though it seemed from another thread that he doesn't use any news websites.

Just looking at only Disney Animated films shows changes in animation over the years. Like comparing 1940's Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.
Even comparing more recent films, changes are apparent, like the CGI water in 1999's Tarzan and 2016's Moana.

I have no idea how JG's storytelling is, so I cannot comment on that. However, writing styles have changed over time, and the 80s/90s Saturday morning cartoons are not known for quality writing. The fact JG mentioned he hasn't read any fiction book (excluding any books assigned by schools) to potentially improve his writing is worrying.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 01:55 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

I have no idea how JG's storytelling is, so I cannot comment on that.

When Mr Goldman was first on A2K he seemed to be working on animal based crime fighting street gangs. He showed a few sketches, but most of his posts seemed to be about slang terms around the world.

He seemed to have a fixation on the Isle of Man, his idea of what it was like had no bearing on reality.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 02:13 pm
@izzythepush,
I'm aware of his subject matter (street fighting cats and dogs, a cricket themed superhero, etc) and his linguistic research, but I meant I have no idea what his scriptwriting is like.

For all I know, he can be a terrible writer with interesting ideas or a competent writer who knows how to tell a story.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 02:35 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
...the Isle of Man...

Clearly, this would be a nice place for men. A certain group of men.
Their language being Manx, tells me they're probably into cats.

Further investigating shows that Manx is Gaelic.

The dwellers often join together singing God Save The Queen.

Man/men, cats, Gaelic (pronounced gay-lick), saving queens...

Obviously this is a beautiful haven....a Heavenly haven if you will, for homosexual men!

...I wonder if JGoldman wanted to create cartoons about his sexuality...

(or should I be placing this over in Lava's latest Conspiracy theory thread?)

Or maybe I just have too much time on my hands and am over thinking it...
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:22 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

And how 2000's TV is different than '80s TV, etc.

When did political correctness become such a big thing? That's a big reason there's a lot of societal changes.
Sturgis

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:32 pm
@JGoldman10,
Actually, things change. The politically correct matter is a convenient way to cast blame. Remember, the public's attention only holds for a short time, then, a new idea arrives and people begin going there.

Westerns, romantic comedy, musicals, science fiction, action... Pick any genre and run with it while it is still hot. Once it cools, it might be decades before people are interested again. Or it could raise itself back up in 10 years.

Or never.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 03:33 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

However, writing styles have changed over time, and the 80s/90s Saturday morning cartoons are not known for quality writing.

Yep and really important shift changes in production:
+Like the move from episodic to serialized shows.
+Shows being produced for actual storytelling, plot, and character development's sake and NOT just mere selling cheap, garbagy toys to kids.
+Production budgets are generally much higher with this generation of series than back than.

The emotional range of children's shows goes far beyond: good guys (GI Joe) fights bad guys, Cobra; good guys (Heman and the gang) fight bad guys, Skeletor; Transformers fight Decepticons; etc.... This generation of shows push their shows to appeal to many gender variations.

Yes. There are still shonen style, fantasy, and/or Scifi battle series being created. And yes, there are also shonen style, fantasy, and/or Scifi series also being created badly. There are shows created just to sell merchandise to kids: pick any card-based battle series.

Needless to say, I'm not looking forward to JGoldman's Evangelical Bible Thumping Teenage Mutant Turtles knockoff series. That's a nightmare, I'd prefer not realized.

There was a time, I worried about JGoldman being a potential furry. He spent a lot of a2k asking about talking, anthropomorphized animals as heroes series. An Evangelical version of one of these series would be trainwreck to experience.
0 Replies