Do Warner Bros. and Disney still dominate the TV toon market like they did in the late 20th century?

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
The new Looney Tunes series that was produced for HBO Max is simply called "Looney Tunes Cartoons", correct? Not to be confused with Wabbit!/New Looney Tunes? How popular was Wabbit!/New Looney Tunes?

What happened to those new Mickey Mouse shorts that Disney produced for TV? There was a series:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse_(TV_series)

Was that popular?
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:21 pm
Why did Annoying Orange stop being popular?
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:29 pm
@JGoldman10,
Do you really want me to explain why this show or that show is popular or not?

I do not know the answers off the top of my head. I would have to look them up. I never even watched the Annoying Orange. You are asking for far too much.

General rule of thumb is that if a show has more than 3 seasons, then it was popular enough to get new episodes. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:40 pm
@Rebelofnj,
I thought if a series lasted 100 episodes then it's considered popular. Traditionally a series could go into syndication once it reaches 100 episodes. I was going to ask if 100 is still considered the "magic number of syndication" but apparently that has changed:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_episodes#Successes

According to the above link:

"In recent years, the 100-episode milestone for syndication has been lowered to 88 episodes, which is typically reached after four seasons. Shows approaching the 88-episode target are often renewed despite low ratings in order to ensure syndication."
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:42 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Okay.

I don't keep up with all this stuff. The last time I ever really tried to was when I was an art school student.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:45 pm
@Rebelofnj,
What do you look up to determine if a show, movie, video game, etc. is popular or not?
Rebelofnj

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:52 pm
@JGoldman10,
Popularity factors include number of episodes, any merchandise available, memes that the show spawned, IMDB ratings, view counts on YouTube, data found in Google Trends, etc.

Plus, there is first hand experience, normally if I can remember if the show was popular at the time or if my friends and family enjoy the shows and films.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 10:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

The new Looney Tunes series that was produced for HBO Max is simply called "Looney Tunes Cartoons", correct? Not to be confused with Wabbit!/New Looney Tunes? How popular was Wabbit!/New Looney Tunes?

Yes, Looney Tunes Cartoons is a separate series from Wabbit!/New Looney Tunes. The latter is the predecessor.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:16 pm
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

What do you look up to determine if a show, movie, video game, etc. is popular or not?

Movies have box office ticket sales and sequels that get equal amounts of public hype and media attention. Video games have sales numbers, the number of times a given game has been downloaded, and active players registered (if it has an online MMO component). Shows have viewer ratings.
JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:17 pm
@Rebelofnj,
Google Trends was the thing I was talking about. Thank you. I couldn't remember what it was called. I recall you introduced me to it.
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Sat 30 May, 2020 11:32 pm
@tsarstepan,
Wikipedia lists how much movies make in box office sales on their site. Sometimes they will list both the production cost and the amount made in box office sales for certain entries on movies.

9/11, which starred Charlie Sheen, is one of the lowest grossing films of all time. It didn't even earn $1 million at the box office. I'm trying to find a source that indicates what the production cost was; I can't find anything on Wikipedia about it.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 03:32 am
@Rebelofnj,
What was the reason you said you don't use Dailymotion and Metacafe? I forgot what you said.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 03:45 am
@JGoldman10,
Dailymotion sounds like the name of a laxative.
0 Replies

Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 04:03 am
@JGoldman10,
There is no reason at all to use Dailymotion or Metacafe when I can use YouTube.

I also don't know of anyone who uses Dailymotion or Metacafe. People do use Twitter and Facebook to watch videos.
JGoldman10

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 05:36 am
@Rebelofnj,
Really? "No reason"? A lot of videos that are uploaded on YouTube are copied and uploaded to Metacafe and Dailymotion.

There had been a number of videos I watched on YouTube, and wanted to rewatch on YouTube but couldn't because they were taken off of YouTube for whatever reason.

I've gone to Metacafe and Dailymotion and found the videos I was looking for that had been taken off of YouTube.

You are incorrect.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 05:42 am
@JGoldman10,
No reason for me to watch anything on those sites.

My time for watching videos is already divided between Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Prime Video, and YouTube. Now with HBO MAX, I'm not going to waste any time on Metacafe and Dailymotion.
Rebelofnj

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:27 am
@JGoldman10,
There are dedicated websites that track the box office numbers of each film, like boxofficemojo.com and BoxOfficePro.com

I should add that box office gross is not always a reliable way to see what will remain popular in the long term. Avatar is the second highest grossing film, but it has been declining in relevance since 2009. Wolf Warrior 2 made over $800 million worldwide, but it is not heard of in the US.
On the flip side, 1959's Sleeping Beauty was a flop for Disney, but it is still remembered as an animated classic. Citizen Kane was also a major flop, but it is often recognized as one of the best films ever.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
The Shawshank Redemption didn’t make much at the box office either. It was a word of mouth success afterwards and now is regarded as a classic.

Duck Soup is widely seen as the Marx bother’s best film but wasn’t received that well.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:30 am
@Rebelofnj,
Rebelofnj wrote:

There is no reason at all to use Dailymotion or Metacafe when I can use YouTube.

Same here. I have a ton of channels I follow on YouTube. Those other sites seem? Trashy and a waste of time.

Alternatively, I occasionally watch videos on Vimeo. They occasionally host short films that have been long-listed and short-listed for their respective Oscar categories. Get to watch them free prior to the Oscar nominations are announced.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 31 May, 2020 09:35 am
@JGoldman10,
JGoldman10 wrote:

Wikipedia lists how much movies make in box office sales on their site. Sometimes they will list both the production cost and the amount made in box office sales for certain entries on movies.

Wikipedia pages aren't frequently updated as Box Office Mojo (which updates the movies daily ticket sales as well). And besides that? Your point in just bringing this point up in the first place?

You asked about how one determines a movies (amongst other properties) as popular.

As for production costs? Studios don't have to release these numbers. Sometimes they do. Other times, third party entertainment news groups speculate and/or research that number. Most of the time, the production budgets you see posted regarding a given movie or tv series is an educated guestimate.
0 Replies