Bernie Sanders 2020

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 07:49 am
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/americangovernment/chapter/regulating-the-media/
The government has the right to regulation. Interpretation of how to enforce it depends on who is in charge.
revelette1

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Thank you for providing me a link to my questions. I am now reading and following up links.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 09:44 am
https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6541497703072173876&q=Syracuse+Peace+Council+v.+FCC,+867+F.2d+654+(1989)&hl=en&as_sdt=4000006&as_vis=1

I read most of the above. From what I can figure (an iffy thing), the court above didn't necessarily agree with the FCC reasoning of their decision that the 1959 amendment didn't codify the Fairness doctrine. The FCC said it the 1959 was unambiguous and it didn't codify the fairy doctrine. The court above disagreed it was unambiguous. However, since they presented a reasonable argument, they concluded the FCC is best placed to make those decisions. Something like that; pretty sure.

In any case, you are correct, the government does have the right to regulate the media. However, it makes me nervous. Given today's political climate and both Trump's and Bernie's gripes about the media, I see both as dangerous to the media so I am wary of any of their ideas concerning the media. In fact I would probably be wary of any of today's politicians ideas concerning the media on any side.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 1 Sep, 2019 03:36 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 03:47 pm
New York 4 Bernie Sanders
@NYforbernie2020
·
5h
ATTENTION
@BernieSanders
voters in New York YOU have only 38 days to register as a democrat to vote for Bernie in the NEW YORK primary April 28, 2020. NEW YORK is a CLOSED primary. Make sure to register and vote for Team Bernie 2020. RT
@BernieSanders
2020. TEAM BERNIE WILL WIN!
Sturgis

Reply Mon 2 Sep, 2019 05:06 pm
Curious - how does Sanders plan on covering the billions of medical debt dollars which he wants to erase?

Between free education, free medical for all and the debt clearance, I am wondering where the money will come from. While it might seem like charging the wealthiest in additional taxes, that can only go so far. They taxees might just go take their money to other countries and find ways to avoid paying any tax.

So, good ideas from Sanders, and it is a fine step towards improving the lives of millions, it just sounds like setting people up for severe disappointment by promising so much so fast.
(and possibly shoving the puck back over to the Republicans)
revelette1

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:42 am
@edgarblythe,
Surely unless people have been living under rock after 2016 democrat primary they are aware of closed primaries and what it means by now?
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 08:06 am
@Sturgis,
Personally I don't see why the average American has to pay for a rich person's son or daughter or themselves college education. I think more lower income people or disabled, regardless of race, should have free college education or their choice of some educational training for a job, or two year college. That way it would cheaper to pay for since everyone would be taxed with higher income people being taxed more. The same goes for health care. Something along these lines (but better and more thought out) would surely be more feasible? Also pass some kind of legislation to get pharmacies under control with their ridiculous high priced medicine. Lastly, fix Obamacare so that people do not have pay such high priced deductibles and free insurance plans can't deny to pay for needed medicine for those who qualify for help.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 3 Sep, 2019 07:01 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 08:14 am

BERN NOTICE: CNN Climate Town Hall -- Compare Bernie's Green New Deal With Other Plans
Here are the specific ways Bernie's climate plan differs from all other candidates' proposals
Sep 4
Public post

Tonight is CNN’s climate town hall and all of the top polling Democratic candidates have now released their proposals to deal with climate change. That means we can definitively confirm what The Guardian has reported: namely, that Bernie’s Green New Deal “is much more aggressive than other candidates’” climate plans.

Bernie’s initiative is not a “middle ground” plan. On the contrary, as famed environmentalist Bill McKibben declared: Bernie’s plan “is remarkable — it shows what simply must be done to meet the challenge.”

Bernie’s plan differs from all the other candidates’ plans in some distinct ways. For example:

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that bans all fracking: Vox reported that a “recent spike in global methane levels that’s putting climate targets at risk may be coming from US oil and gas fracking.” An EPA study “found scientific evidence that hydraulic fracturing activities can impact drinking water resources.” Unlike other candidates, Bernie’s plan would completely ban fracking. Full stop.

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that holds fossil fuel corporations and executives legally liable for knowingly destroying the environment: Bernie has said that “fossil fuel executives should be criminally prosecuted for the destruction they have knowingly caused.” While Sen. John Cornyn — whose top collective donor is the fossil fuel industry — expressed outrage at this idea, the Huffington Post recently reported that a new YouGov poll found “nearly 62% of voters said they’d support legal liability for energy companies or utilities ‘if it could be proven that they misled the public about the consequences of climate change.’”

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that removes the corporate profit motive from electricity production — and makes it green and virtually free after a decade: Unlike other candidates’ plans, Bernie’s Green New Deal doesn’t rely on private utilities that have helped create the climate crisis. Instead, it is the only plan that will expand the federal government’s existing energy-production agencies and make their clean energy virtually free after a decade.

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that does not rely on Wall Street schemes to fix the climate crisis Wall Street helped create: Studies show that Wall Street giants have for years been among the largest financial supporters of fossil fuel development. Bernie’s Green New Deal invests directly in renewable energy — and unlike other candidates’ plans, it does not rely on Wall Street behemoths to solve the climate crisis that they helped create and that they still profit from. Instead, it discourages fossil fuel investments by establishing new financial rules that will press hedge funds, private equity funds, insurance companies, and other institutional investors to divest their fossil fuel holdings.

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that explicitly details exactly how America will meet United Nations IPCC targets to avert climate catastrophe: Unlike other candidates’ plans, Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only one that shows precisely how it would actually meet emissions reductions that are consistent with the goals of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.

• Bernie’s Green New Deal is the only plan that creates 20 million jobs: Bernie’s Green New Deal is not just a plan to fight climate change — it also is a full-employment program that will create far more jobs than plans put forward by any other candidate.

As you watch tonight’s town hall, remember the words of the Sunrise Movement’s Garret Blad, who told CNBC: “Sanders’ plan sets the tone…He sets the bar higher for the other candidates.”

Bern after reading,

Sirota
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 09:47 am
Bernie was on The View this morning. He was pretty good. I like his plans on climate change.

The only issue I had with him on The View is when he said there at the last something like he has long been against assault weapons and a lot of people are catching up with me. Something like that. Not true, a lot of democrats have long been against assault weapons and so has a majority of the population. Probably have to wait a while for a transcript to be sure of his words.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 10:07 am
@revelette1,
The thing to remember he is a politician. All politicians exaggerate. You must look at what they have accomplished in the past, along with his age. Good guy but he won't be able to get 1 tenth of the things he claims.
revelette1

Reply Wed 4 Sep, 2019 12:01 pm
@RABEL222,
Actually I rewatched it on youtube, I don't think he meant like I portrayed it. It is at the end of his interview, he just said, "BTW, I have been against assault weapons for a long time." I guess because he interrupted himself when talking about more people being against assault weapons I heard it as I described in my previous post in which I was wrong.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 12:17 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 06:07 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 5 Sep, 2019 09:48 pm
BERNIE SANDERS’S CLIMATE PLAN IS MORE RADICAL THAN HIS OPPONENTS’ — AND MORE LIKELY TO SUCCEED
https://theintercept.com/2019/08/22/bernie-sanders-climate-policy/?fbclid=IwAR0siFa0wdVx4gtmXDah_Hjutu13H9bWp9Yp2GfipWxPxlg1JFZrtp1GRm4
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 05:04 am
Bernie Sanders: Abortion And Population Control Are Important Parts Of Addressing Climate Change

Quote:
Presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders answered "yes" and spoke about abortion when asked at a CNN town hall event Wednesday night if population control would play a part in his administration's policy for dealing with climate change.

"Human population growth has more than doubled in the past 50 years. The planet cannot sustain this growth. I realize this is a poisonous topic for politicians, but it's crucial to face," an audience member asked. "Empowering women and educating everyone on the need to curb population growth seems a reasonable campaign to enact. Would you be courageous enough to discuss this issue and make it a key feature of a plan to address climate catastrophe?"

"The answer is yes," Sanders responded. "And the answer has everything to do with the fact that women in the United States of America, by the way, have a right to control their own bodies and make reproductive decisions."

"And the Mexico City agreement, which denies American aid to those organizations around the world that allow women to have abortions or even get involved in birth control to me is totally absurd. So I think especially in poor countries around the world where women do not necessarily want to have large numbers of babies and where they can have the opportunity through birth control to control the number of kids they have, is something I very, very strongly support," he concluded.

realclearpolitics

I like this and it's about time someone said it. Wonder if anyone else will show as much courage on this issue as Sanders?
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 07:06 am
@hightor,
I agree. Of course, the other camps will characterize Bernie as wanting to mow down entire populations with bullets and/or bombs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 11:11 am
Bernie Sanders in climate change 'population control' uproar
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-49601678
BBC's take.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 6 Sep, 2019 11:34 am
@hightor,
Population growth like Climate Change is a "problem" that requires a universal solution. The people who are likely to take this seriously are already not contributing to "overpopulation"

The answer (such as there is one) is birth control, not abortion. Making abortion as readily available as birth control defeats a reasonable expectation that human beings will be relatively careful with copulation. (Please don't try to tell me that the millions of abortions in this country were due to faulty birth control or rape)

If you really care about overpopulation you will use birth control. Using abortion as a fall back is a cop-out and an indication that you didn't take the problem seriously in the first place.

Is Sander's argument that US taxpayer dollars should go to funding abortion in other nations that it will help save our American asses from overpopulation? If so, that would be a really courageous and honest position.