If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

Meem

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 01:33 pm
Excellent point.

Jesus in called only begotten because he is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature. Col 1:15,16.

So Jesus is a Son, a creation.

Not the Father, the Creator.

Sincerely Meem
cicerone imposter

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 05:16 pm
@Meem,
If Jesus died and came back to life, is that a "sacrifice?"
Krumple

Thu 16 Feb, 2017 09:37 pm
@Meem,
Meem wrote:

Jesus in called only begotten because he is the only one of his kind, the only one whom God himself created directly without the agency or cooperation of any creature

I guess Mary had no part in it? Her "cooperation" wasn't necessary. I don't even buy that she didn't have sex.

Here is the thing. Back then if you got pregnant out of wedlock, a girl would be murdered as was the custom. So she lied saying it was immaculate and supernatural, if it even happened at all. There are dozens of bronze age myths about immaculate conceptions, the Jesus story is far from unique. The other part that reveals it was probably just made up is that all that's written is his birth and then jumps to him being thirty years old. Nothing at all happened? No childhood quip to teach children? Nothing at all? Its strange since the Bible records Mary's journeys while pregnant with such detail it mentions her tripping over rocks. Why be so detailed over something so insignificant and then totally leave out thirty years worth of life? Its obviously a fake story.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 17 Feb, 2017 12:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
yes ... mainly because it broke up his poker game with Moses and night out at Hooters.
0 Replies

Patches

Fri 17 Feb, 2017 05:42 am
There are three God's in one godhead known as the Holy Trinity...Father God, the Son of God (who is God from God), and the Holy Spirit.

Jesus is God Creator, not unlike His Father.
cicerone imposter

Fri 17 Feb, 2017 07:06 pm
@Patches,
Funny! Thou shalt have no other gods before me, except the three of us.
Patches

Sat 18 Feb, 2017 05:32 am
@cicerone imposter,
1 John 5:7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The "Word" is the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
cicerone imposter

Sat 18 Feb, 2017 10:58 am
@Patches,
The father, son and Holy Ghost.
Patches

Sat 18 Feb, 2017 11:02 am
@cicerone imposter,
Correct. Three persons under one godhead.
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 20 Feb, 2017 03:59 pm
Holy cow!

I take a few weeks off and my signature thread turns into a cartoon.

No recess for any of you!
Patches

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 04:46 am
@neologist,
Even the JW's believe in the Holy Trinity. I thought you were a JW? Or are you a single splinter from that group? Are you trying to start your own religion? You could call it the Church of Neo. Laughing
peacecrusader888

Tue 21 Feb, 2017 07:07 am
How do you explain the Trinity?
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 26 Feb, 2017 01:35 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:
Even the JW's believe in the Holy Trinity. I thought you were a JW? Or are you a single splinter from that group? Are you trying to start your own religion? You could call it the Church of Neo. Laughing
The next time one knocks on your door, you should ask. You may learn the truth.

peacecrusader888

Sun 26 Feb, 2017 07:32 pm
The Holy Trinity is not a mystery anymore

The spirit of Ama and I had a conversation about the Trinity. This is how it went:

Aristeo Fernando: Ama, what is the meaning of Jesus Christ sitting at the right hand of God?
Ama: To His right.
Aristeo: Is that to His right?
Ama: Yes.
Aristeo: Aren't they only one? Jesus Christ, He is that God. Why will He say to His right?
Ama: Right. Right. Because there is God the Father.
Aristeo: Isn't God the Father, He is also Jesus Christ?
Ama: Good. That is right. But they were made into three: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. It is only one but they were made into three.
Aristeo: Ama, You are that God the Holy Spirit, aren't You? You are also Jesus whose spirit lived in the physical body of what we call Jesus Christ. Is that correct?
Ama: Good. For example, you, your child said "Daddy, please buy me a dress." Then your daughter said, "Daddy, please buy me a dress." You don't have sufficient money to buy for the two. You will ask yourself, who will you buy immediately? Who is that? Question. Isn't it that it is you yourself? Who did you ask? Isn't it that it is you yourself? Who said that it is that child you have to buy immediately? Isn't it that it is you yourself? Then you are three.

The one who decided is God the Father. The one who asked the question, God the Son. The Holy Spirit, who is it? That is the answer. You are three but you are only one.

(For Filipinos, this conversation is at http://aristean.org/transcript006.htm titled "Paliwanag tungkol sa Trinity".) (From 1999-04-25)
Patches

Mon 27 Feb, 2017 06:56 am
@peacecrusader888,
The Holy Trinity is three separate persons in one godhead. Not three separate person in one person like in a multiple personality disorder.
neologist

Fri 3 Mar, 2017 06:37 pm
@Patches,
Patches wrote:
The Holy Trinity is three separate persons in one godhead. Not three separate person in one person like in a multiple personality disorder.
Tell us then...
Exactly where in the scriptures may we find the term 'godhead'?
Patches

Sat 4 Mar, 2017 02:45 am
@neologist,
The word "godhead" is not found in scripture. But this verse is demonstrating three separate persons under one godhead.

1 John 5:7. For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

The "Word" is the Son of God, Jesus Christ.
Patches

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 06:37 am
@neologist,
The Church of JW's teach the Holy Trinity.
cicerone imposter

Sun 5 Mar, 2017 12:04 pm
@Patches,
https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Colossians-2-9/
Patches

Mon 6 Mar, 2017 10:57 am
@cicerone imposter,
The first time I had ever seen the word "godhead" used in a Bible. When Jesus was in body, Father God and the Holy Spirit was within Him. Still showing the three separate persons in one godhead.
0 Replies