If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

cicerone imposter

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 05:02 pm
@Enaj,
The earliest societies established kings and queens, and they're the ones who became the leaders of their society to create the rules and regulations. Some of these groups allowed the eating of human flesh. As societies became more sophisticated, they created religions and gods to control the masses. Many of these kings allowed themselves to have many wives and children - and some were incestuous, but nobody was allowed to question what they wanted to do.

Fast forward to the 20th century where 'illegal' wars and leaders of countries decimated their own and other peoples by the millions.

Our sense of right and wrong is based on our own perceptions and how we were exposed to and trained by our parents, educators, education, culture, environment, biology, and language. Some times, our biology (psycosis) controls our perceptions, and there's not much anyone can do. Some can be normalized through medication, but we didn't have those types of mind-altering drugs to help mentally handicapped people in human history - except for opiates, beer, liquor, wine, and other man-created drugs that has both negative and/or positive results.

People with high IQ's have been the tyrants, killers, murders, rapists, and have been the destructive ones. What is normal?

0 Replies

giujohn

Mon 2 Jun, 2014 05:22 pm
@Enaj,
Quote:

Jesus wasn't God and didn't know all things.

Well, I think most Biblical scholars would disagree with you in that the bible teaches that jesus was the living god...now im sure he wasnt...and that there is in fact no other omnipotant being in existance as well...but thats for a different arguement.
Romeo Fabulini

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:20 am
Jesus made it quite clear that he wasn't God..Wink

Jesus said - "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
"Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
"Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
High Priest asks - "Are you the Son of God?" Jesus replies - "I am" (Mark 14:61)
Jesus said - "I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
“Father, the hour has come....I am coming to you now" (John 17:13)
"Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)
"I am going to my Father and your Father, my God and your God" (John 20:17)
God himself said - "This is my beloved son, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)

And Jesus often prayed to God, so if he was God why would he pray to himself?

0 Replies

neologist

Tue 3 Jun, 2014 07:32 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
. . . the bible teaches that jesus was the living god...
See Romeo, supra
0 Replies

Enaj

Fri 6 Jun, 2014 09:09 pm
I guess that's settled then. Smile
giujohn

Fri 6 Jun, 2014 09:20 pm
@Enaj,
Then we are in agreement...jesus was NOT god! I've been saying that right along. I think if he were alive today he would be appalled at what he was made into. If he existed at all, he was merely a rabi who insisted that ALL men be allowed to come to the jewish faith and that men did not need other men to interceed for them; man could go directly to god in prayer.
Of course he was wrong...there is no god.
worldtraveler24

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 01:59 pm
It is so sad how most people are so confused about God. In fact, you are correct to assume that the trinity is a false teaching that came from the 3rd century and that the Catholic Church was responsible for promoting this as church doctrine. Really it is ridiculous to believe that there are three persons in the Godhead. Father, Son and Holy Ghost. There is only ONE God not three. The Trinitarian belief states that they are three distinct persons but all one. If that is not a load of malarkey I don't know what is. How can three persons be one ? The scripture emphatically states that God is one and beside Him there is no God. How is it that the Jews believed in ONE God not a multiplicity of gods? For over 4,000 years the belief in ONE God was supreme among the Jews; then all of a sudden 200 plus years after Jesus died the belief changes to three persons in One? God is the Father in Creation; the Son in Redemption and the Holy Ghost in regeneration. He is only One and plays three different roles in presenting Himself to man-NOT THREE PERSONS. There is only one person and that was Jesus Christ. God is the Eternal Spirit-- the only body that God had was Jesus Christ. He was called the only begotten Son because he was born of women. The Spirit of God in filled the body of Jesus Christ which made Him fully God and fully man. When Jesus ascended into Heaven He said He had to go away in order to send the Comforter or the Holy Spirit. If they were two distinct persons why did Jesus have to go away? Could He have stayed around and communed with the Holy Spirit upon His arrival? In order for Jesus to send back His Spirit His body had to leave the earth. He would no longer need His body once in Heaven. Therefore the Holy Spirit was sent back 10 days after Jesus ascended into Heaven. Jesus said "be not afraid, I will send the Comforter in my name. Then He said I will come unto you. How is it that Jesus said He was the Holy Spirit? Be not deceived by false doctrine. God is ONE and in His infinite mercy has revealed Himself to mankind through the face of Jesus Christ and has given us power to overcome the world as he did through the manifestation of His Spirit, the Holy Spirit.
neologist

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 03:02 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:
. . . He was called the only begotten Son because he was born of women. The Spirit of God in filled the body of Jesus Christ which made Him fully God and fully man. . . .
If you read Proverbs Chapter 8, you will discover that Jesus existed as God's firstborn in heaven long before any creation. On earth, he could not have been fully god; but he was divine.

Welcome to the forum, wt. Would you be so kind, in the future, as to use paragraph breaks?
Enaj

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 04:19 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 you started out good, then continued into confusion.
The bible says that Jesus is the Son of God. It never says that he was Mary's only begotten Son, but God only begotten Son. Jesus himself says that the Father is the only true God.

The following verse was said by Jesus...

“This is life eternal, that they might know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent,” John 17:3.

“For there is one God, and one Mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,” 1 Tim. 2:5.

Go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father and your Father; and to my God and your God,” John 20:17.
0 Replies

Enaj

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 04:21 pm
@giujohn,
Not totally in agreement since I believe that there is a God.
Enaj

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 04:34 pm
@giujohn,
Quote:
Well, I think most Biblical scholars would disagree with you in that the bible teaches that jesus was the living god...now im sure he wasnt...and that there is in fact no other omnipotant being in existance as well...but thats for a different arguement.

I don't really care what most biblical scholars think. Also, if they are well studied in the bible, they know that Jesus is the Son, and not the living God who is the God and Father of Jesus. They teach other, than they know the bible teaches, by choice. Either that or their comprehension isn't very good.

Enaj

0 Replies

giujohn

Tue 10 Jun, 2014 05:17 pm
@Enaj,
Quote:
I believe that there is a God.

You are entitled to any such delusion.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Wed 11 Jun, 2014 03:02 am
Quote:
Enaj said: I don't really care what most biblical scholars think.

Good for you, Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10)

And people quickly cottoned on..Smile-
"There is no other name under heaven that can save us" (Acts 4:12)
"There is one mediator between God and men,- the man Jesus Christ" (1 Tim 2:5)
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus" (Heb 12:2)
0 Replies

worldtraveler24

Thu 12 Jun, 2014 01:39 pm
@neologist,
Hi Neologist,

Thanks for the kind welcome it is my pleasure in sharing with you all!-- I will try to put breaks in the paragraphs in order to make it easier to ready--sorry about that.

Proverbs is referring to the WORD , or the LOGOS which is defined as the visible expression of the invisible GOD. Keep in mind that Jesus Christ (the body) had a beginning --he was born in Bethlehem. To say that Jesus existed before hand in the body is not correct; but if what you mean is that the WORD existed before Bethlehem that is correct.

Jesus was the WORD.--see St. John the first chapter. If Jesus the body had existed before the birth at Bethlehem why was he not called by HIS name Jesus in the Old Testament? The Name of Jesus was not revealed until before HIS birth. GOD the eternal Spirit has existed from ages past and will forever exist. The spirit that in filled Jesus was a portion of God ( the Eternal Spirit--because God fills all space). All of God's attributes filled the man Christ Jesus.

God was called JHVH in the Old Testament,; Jesus means JHVH has become our salvation. To say that Jesus was not God is to reject the entire prophecy ( Isaiah 9:6) and incarnation of Jesus Christ. Jesus claimed to be God that is why the Jews crucified Him on Golgatha. They crucified HIM for blasphemy.

Let me use this example:
Take the bath tub and fill it up to the brim with water. Then take a bowel and put the bowel inside of the bath tub. Let the water in the bath tub represent GOD the eternal Spirit or as some would say GOD THE FATHER. Then let the bowel represent Jesus Christ. Keep in mind that the water (SPIRIT) that fills the tub and the bowel is the same water (Spirit). You can not say that they are two different waters per se. The water in the bowel and the water in the tub are the same--just what is in the bowel is a small portion of what is in the tub. All of the attributes in the water that is in the bowel are the same as those in the rest of the tub. No change of attributes--just a smaller portion of the water that fills the tub.

Jesus said I and my Father are One. He is in me and I am in Him. There are not two distinct Spirits of God--only one that filled the body of Jesus Christ and that same Spirit can fill you if you received the Holy Spirit (a small portion of GOD in your heart). Now take a cup and put it into the bowel. Let that cup represent your body. Now you are in Jesus and he is in you. He said he would live inside of us. How does he do that? By infilling us with His Spirit. His body is not in us but His Spirit which is GOD is in us. Try it. It will make you see things differently.

Most people try to make God divisible and say that he is three persons. He is ONE and will never be three persons. He can manifest Himself in any manner that He so chooses.

Another example--maybe this will help:
I am a father because I have children. I am a son because I have a mother still living . I am also a husband because I am married. BUT-- I am only one person and my name is Daniel. I play three different roles in my life but I am in no wise three persons. To think that I am three persons is crazy; but I am a father to my children and I am a son to my mother and a husband to my wife. All of these roles are distinct but only one person-Daniel. I represent my self differently to my wife than I do my children or my mother. Think about it. I have a different role and am someone different to each one but I am still Daniel and am still one person. Don't get confused with the titles Father Son and Holy Ghost. They represent the Eternal God who revealed Himself to mankind in the face and body of Jesus Christ.

GOD IS ONE and HE is indivisible.

Jesus Christ is GOD manifested in the flesh--fully GOD and fully man.
i.e. when he healed the sick--He was God in action. When he fed the five thousand --God in action. But when he ate of the bread he multiplied he was fully man because he hungered. When He was on the cross HE said "I thirst." Fully man in action.

The Holy Spirit is not a dove and is not a third person in a Trinity of Gods.

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit that dwelled in the body of Jesus sent back to live in your heart. Same Spirit--the Spirit of GOD.

T

neologist

Thu 12 Jun, 2014 06:07 pm
@worldtraveler24,
worldtraveler24 wrote:
If Jesus the body had existed before the birth at Bethlehem why was he not called by HIS name Jesus in the Old Testament?
This is what Paul says about Jesus
Quote:
(Colossians 1:15, 16) . . . He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation; 16 because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth. . .
You are correct that the name Jesus means YHWH is salvation, or YHWH's Salvation. But Jesus existed zillions of years before such salvation would become necessary. Hence, his identification as the Master Worker in Proverbs chapter 8.
0 Replies

Enaj

Thu 12 Jun, 2014 06:19 pm
@worldtraveler24,
The bible also says that Jesus was the firstborn, the first creation of God. So being that God is eternal, Jesus could not be God, especially, being that Jesus called himself the Son of God when accused of blasphemy, not God.

Also being that Jesus called the Father the only true God in John 17:3 And this is eternal life, that they know thee(God) the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou(God) hast sent.

Jesus also said that he and the Father are one, then added that we could be one with him and the Father, and this doesn't make us God, so he is not saying that he is God otherwise he wouldn't have added that we could be one with them, as it would not make sense then. He was speaking only of in unity and purpose. What he said has nothing to do with claiming to be God.

I agree that there is no trinity, that there is only one God, one person of God. But he is the Father of Jesus and of us. Jesus isn't that God. He isn't YHWH, he isn't the God of the OT.

The belief that a man is God is about as ancient and primitive as believing that an object carved by man is god. Smile
worldtraveler24

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 10:24 am
@Enaj,
then who is HE? Why was He crucified ? And why did He say "Before Abraham was, I am?
giujohn

Fri 13 Jun, 2014 05:59 pm
@worldtraveler24,
I am msytfied by the discussion.
It says in the bible that the word is by the hand of god and should not be interpreted.

Jeremiah Chapter 22

29. O earth, earth, earth, hear the word of the LORD.

John Chapter 1

1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Romans Chapter 10

17. So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

2 Peter Chapter 1

20. KNOWING THIS FIRST, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake [as they were] moved by the Holy Ghost.

2 Timothy Chapter 3

16. ALL SCRIPTUREe [is] given by inspiration of God, and [is] profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

1 Thessalonians Chapter 1

5. For our gospel came not unto you in word only, but also in power, and in the Holy Ghost, and in much assurance; as ye know what manner of men we were among you for your sake.

1 Corinthians Chapter 14

33. For God is not [the author] of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

John Chapter 8

31. Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, IF YE CONTINUE IN MY WORD, [then] are ye my disciples indeed;

32. And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

SO WHY ALL THE DISAGREEMENT AND DISCUSSION???
Enaj

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:33 pm
@worldtraveler24,
Quote:
then who is HE? Why was He crucified ? And why did He say "Before Abraham was, I am?

Who is he? The son of God, the Christ, the Messiah, the one who died and was resurrected and ascended to save us from our sins and eternal death. Our high priest, our intercessor between God and man, the Lord of David, the son of man, the messenger of the Gospel, our brethren who needed to be like us in every way to save us from our sins, yet without sin.

He was before Abraham in position and eminence.

He was not God. God is his Father, the Father of us all.
Do you really not know this?
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 15 Jun, 2014 08:40 pm
@giujohn,
giujohn wrote:
. . . John Chapter 1

1. In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. . . .
Many translations read "the word was divine" or "the word was a god". A careful examination of the Greek text will reveal the difference.
0 Replies