If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

neologist

Thu 8 May, 2014 12:58 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
For example Neologist is a Jehovah's Witness but doesn't say so in his profile, as if he's trying to pass himself off as a normal christian.
What is a normal christian? I'd be interested in your thoughts.

And, are you saying folks should identify their religious denominations in their profiles? I don't recall ever seeing anyone do that.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 8 May, 2014 03:11 am
Quote:
Romeo said: For example Neologist is a Jehovah's Witness but doesn't say so in his profile, as if he's trying to pass himself off as a normal christian.
Neologist said: What is a normal christian? I'd be interested in your thoughts.
And, are you saying folks should identify their religious denominations in their profiles? I don't recall ever seeing anyone do that.

My profile says "I'm a 'Freelance Christian' which sends out the clear message that I belong to no organised religion or cult because I prefer to think for myself".
So if I'm not afraid to nail my colours to the mast, others shouldn't be afraid to either..Smile
As for "normal christian", there's nothing much normal about JW beliefs..Wink
cicerone imposter

Thu 8 May, 2014 08:06 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You wrote,
Quote:
"Retirement is the world's longest coffee break"..Smile

There's a 'danger' to your philosophy in retirement. It makes one think you just sit around without much other forms of activity except drink coffee.

Me? I love world travel that allows me to drink coffee in many countries and with different people. What it exposes me to are not only coffee, but all manners and classes of beer. wine and mixed drinks to enjoy the many flavors of food offered around the world.

Expand your horizons!
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 9 May, 2014 01:40 am
Quote:
Romeo said: "Retirement is the world's longest coffee break"..Smile
Cicerone said: There's a 'danger' to your philosophy in retirement. It makes one think you just sit around without much other forms of activity except drink coffee.
Me? I love world travel that allows me to drink coffee in many countries and with different people. What it exposes me to are not only coffee, but all manners and classes of beer. wine and mixed drinks to enjoy the many flavors of food offered around the world.
Expand your horizons!

We holy men don't do 'world travel' mate, that's why for centuries monks and nuns have preferred to shut themselves away in remote monasteries and convents..Smile
Nothing wrong with travel for those who like it of course-
"Jesus went through all the towns and villages" (Matt 9:35)
http://imageshack.us/a/img694/8567/8tcv.jpg

I used to do a lot of pedal-cycling in my younger days, my longest bike ride was a camping trip to Paris and back, 800 miles over 8 days, but I was bored and also didn't like the french food.
That's another thing that puts me off the idea of world travel, you never know what foreign muck you'll be served, especially in the tropics..Smile
As for different types of booze, I'm not interested because I don't drink; tried a few sips in my early teens but it all tasted like cat pee and put me off for life.
Jesus said- "I tell you, I will not drink wine from now on until that day when I drink it anew with you in my Father's kingdom." (Matt 26:29)
Huh, that's me out then (sniffle)
neologist

Fri 9 May, 2014 09:10 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
We holy men . . .
You often use this phrase. Tell us where we may find your peers. Is there some 'Church of the Holy' we have not yet heard about?
Romeo Fabulini

Fri 9 May, 2014 03:46 pm
@neologist,
As a holy man, I'm apart from the silly ways of the world..Smile
"The Hebrew word for 'holy' is quadosh, and the greek word is haigos.
In both cases the meaning is separateness or being set apart from that which is unclean"
http://www.cslewisinstitute.org/webfm_send/542

So we holy men don't do "world"..Smile
neologist

Fri 9 May, 2014 06:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So you stay away from unclean things like this, then?
http://www.restorationministries.org/HtmlFiles/HTMLLifebytes/images/62.6.jpg
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 12:33 am
@neologist,
Ashtoreth was a heathen goddess and you JW's seem to think Easter is somehow linked to her.
You JW's refuse to celebrate Easter, so Ashtoreth therefore has a hold on you by preventing you celebrating Jesus's victory over death.
By celebnrating it, Christians are crushing, wiping out and over-writing Ashtoreth in the same way your JW Meeting Halls are built on heathen Chief Seattle's land, thereby crushing, wiping out and over-writing the lands links to idolatry and heathen worship..Smile
neologist

Sat 10 May, 2014 12:47 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Google Ashtoreth Holiday and you will find an avalanche of references to Easter. Ashtoreth is also known as Astarte, the worship of whom God considers an abomination. If you believe God is pleased with folks dredging up pagan Gods and associating them with the sacrifice of his son, I feel sorry for you.
Romeo Fabulini

Sat 10 May, 2014 12:53 am
(Yawn) You JW's don't celebrate Easter, you don't celebrate Christmas, you don't celebrate birthdays, you don't celebrate national holidays..
Anything else you don't celebrate while you're at it?..Wink
Enaj

Mon 12 May, 2014 08:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
It makes one think you just sit around without much other forms of activity except drink coffee.

And being on here all the time. Smile
0 Replies

Enaj

Mon 12 May, 2014 08:36 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo, Some Christians honor Jesus' memorial, and others what they refer to as Resurrection Day, instead of Easter. And do not do bonnets, bunnies, and eggs.

Enaj Smile
0 Replies

Enaj

Mon 12 May, 2014 08:46 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The word 'trinity' does not appear in the bible. Why is it such an important belief? Question

This is the first post in this thread, and I'd like to see it become the discussion again. Also, I think that I asked the question here (which remained unanswered) how is Jesus God's only begotten son, being that God does not beget children as we do. And so what do you think God meant when he said this about Jesus?

Views please?

Enaj Neutral
neologist

Mon 12 May, 2014 11:24 pm
@Enaj,
I wrote:
The word 'trinity' does not appear in the bible. Why is it such an important belief?
Enaj wrote:
This is the first post in this thread, and I'd like to see it become the discussion again. Also, I think that I asked the question here (which remained unanswered) how is Jesus God's only begotten son, being that God does not beget children as we do. And so what do you think God meant when he said this about Jesus?

Views please?

Enaj Neutral
Does this help?
Quote:
(Proverbs 8:22-31) 22 “Jehovah himself produced me as the beginning of his way, the earliest of his achievements of long ago. 23 From time indefinite I was installed, from the start, from times earlier than the earth. 24 When there were no watery deeps I was brought forth as with labor pains, when there were no springs heavily charged with water. 25 Before the mountains themselves had been settled down, ahead of the hills, I was brought forth as with labor pains, 26 when as yet he had not made the earth and the open spaces and the first part of the dust masses of the productive land. 27 When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he decreed a circle upon the face of the watery deep, 28 when he made firm the cloud masses above, when he caused the fountains of the watery deep to be strong, 29 when he set for the sea his decree that the waters themselves should not pass beyond his order, when he decreed the foundations of the earth, 30 then I came to be beside him as a master worker, and I came to be the one he was specially fond of day by day, I being glad before him all the time, 31 being glad at the productive land of his earth, and the things I was fond of were with the sons of men.
Enaj

Wed 14 May, 2014 07:06 pm
@neologist,
Thanks for the verses, neologist.

I was wondering though, what could actually be meant that Jesus is begotten by God when the following verses seems to show that those in heaven do not beget children.

Mark 12:24-25 24And Jesus answering said unto them, Do ye not therefore err, because ye know not the scriptures, neither the power of God? 25For when they shall rise from the dead, they neither marry, nor are given in marriage; but are as the angels which are in heaven

If the meaning of beget is to be born, then how is this wording " only begotten son of God" to be understood? Unless, all God meant is that he declared Jesus to be his son such as in ....Hebrews 1:5 when he says that I will be his Father, and he shall be to me a Son. Wasn't he always his Son? When did be become God's Son? And how does this make him begotten?

King James Version Hebrews 1:5.

For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son?

What do others here think? Smile

neologist

Wed 14 May, 2014 09:41 pm
@Enaj,
The name Jehovah literally means 'he who creates' or 'he who causes to become'. It has the connotation that he will be what he needs to be to accomplish his purpose.

It appears certain that his purpose is to create sentient beings having the power of free will. His first creation is the one speaking in Proverbs chapter 8 and is generally understood to be Jesus.
0 Replies

Enaj

Sat 17 May, 2014 07:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Why do you care what others celebrate or not? It isn't keeping you from celebrating what you wish to. All people who desire to should have the right to decide what they feel is the right thing to do concerning these things.
Its not hurting others is it that they do not celebrate these holidays.
Smile
0 Replies

Enaj

Sat 17 May, 2014 07:58 pm
@Enaj,
Being that God said "I will be his Father and he shall be to me a Son" does this mean that he became God's son at Jesus' birth? at this baptism? Wasn't he always his son? How do you see this? Question
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 18 May, 2014 11:25 am
Quote:
Enaj said to Romeo: Why do you care what others celebrate or not?..

Other religions like to attack Christianity, so I attack them, fair enough?
As for various oddball "christian" cults, I feel obliged to slap them around for getting Christianity a bad name!
For example in a local Pentacostal church near me they wave their hands in the air and jabber in 'tongues', it's more like the monkey house at Paignton Zoo than a church, everybody laughs at them..Smile
0 Replies

brandonsays

Fri 23 May, 2014 06:46 pm
@SN95,
The creeds are not official declarations of what Christians are supposed to believe. Rather, they are affirmations of what Christians do and have believed against certain heresies that arose. Therefor, since a particular belief was not affirmed in a creed until such and such a century is inconsequential to what Chrisstians have historically believed. If you want to know what Christians believed prior to these creeds there is ample evidence, and yes belief that God is in essence trinity, goes back to the Jerusalem church; the first believers. It's in the scriptures that nobody questions as to their origin. It's in the earliest of New Testament writings from Paul and it's affirmed by all the NT writers. The word did not appear until later, but the belief was always there.
0 Replies