If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:27 pm
@Germlat,
No, its not, there are millions of Christians that do not believe in Jesus being God.

What is essential is what Jesus says, and Romeo has pointed out with scripture what Jesus said on this.
Germlat

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:30 pm
@Enaj,
So what Christian denomination accepts Jesus is not God? I thought the argument of the divinity of Jesus , caused the split between Judaism and Christianity. Others as well, Islam considers Jesus in great regard, but certainly not divine.
Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:38 pm
@Germlat,
KJV

John 17:1 These words spake Jesus, and lifted up his [Jesus] eyes to heaven, and said, Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, [Jesus] that thy Son [Jesus] also may glorify thee: [Father]

John 17:2 As thou [Father] hast given him [Jesus] power over all flesh, that he [Jesus] should give eternal life to as many as thou [Father] hast given him [Jesus].

John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they [the people he was speaking to] might know thee [Father] the only true God, and Jesus Christ [Son], whom thou [Father] hast sent.

John 17:4 I [Jesus] have glorified thee [God] on the earth: I [Jesus] have finished the work which thou [God] gavest me [Jesus] to do.

Matt 3:17 And lo, a voice from heaven, saying, this is my beloved Son,[Jesus] in whom I am well pleased,

And who was the Father of Jesus? God.

Rom 8:34 It is Christ that died, yea, rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us,

Who is at the right hand of God? Jesus. Can he be God and at the right hand of God? No, he is God's Son. See Matt 3:17 above.

1 Cor. 11:3 I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of every woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God,

If Christ is God, he would not have one that is ahead of him; but as God's Son, yes, just as the verse says. The meaning here is obvious for me, Jesus is the Son.

1 Cor. 3:23 And ye are Christs; and Christ is Gods.

See explanation for 1 Cor. 11:3.

Christ says,

John 10:29 My father is greater than all,

John 14:28 My Father is greater than I,

Matt 19:17 Why callest thou me Good? There is none good but one, that is God,

Christ says that the Father is greater than all, greater than I [Jesus] and that none are good but for God. He did not include himself as good with God or that he was God. He spoke quite the opposite.

1 Cor. 8:5,6 Though there be that are called Gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) yet to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things,

Here we see verse saying plainly that there is but one God, the Father. This is not difficult to understand, it is obvious that the Father is God, and only the one that is God.

So we see that Jesus is the Son of God.

For me they aren't both God, the one Father is God, and Jesus is the Son.
0 Replies

Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 06:51 pm
@Germlat,
Christianity didn't come about until sometime after Jesus death. He and most of his followers were Jewish including long after he died. They were a part of Judaism. Later they they were called Christians. There probably were a number of things that parted them, mostly that the Jews didn't accept Jesus as their messiah.

Look up the word divine, it has several meaning and does not necessarily mean God, it can mean to be set apart, that is... better. An example would be...that cake was divine....meaning very good.

Church of God of Abrahamic Faith.
Church of God of General Conference
some Anabaptists
Christadelphians
The Bible Students
Jehovah's Witnessess.
And before 1931 the Seventh Day Adventists.....they now do believe in a trinity, mostly the younger ones.

There may be others, but these come to mind for now.

Oh, and Islam.
Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:03 pm
Some translations that do not use .....only begotten Son....

Holman Christian Standard Bible
"For God loved the world in this way: He gave His One and Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him will not perish but have eternal life.

International Standard Version
"For this is how God loved the world: He gave his unique Son so that everyone who believes in him might not be lost but have eternal life.

NET Bible
For this is the way God loved the world: He gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
For God loved the world in this way: so much that he would give up his Son, The Only One, so that everyone who trusts in him shall not be lost, but he shall have eternal life.

GOD'S WORD® Translation
God loved the world this way: He gave his only Son so that everyone who believes in him will not die but will have eternal life.
0 Replies

Germlat

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:06 pm
@Enaj,
Of all the groups you mentioned I only know of seventh day adventists( and never knew they dispelled the the idea of the trinity at any point), jehova's witnesses, and of course the Muslim religion. I did know it took nearly300+ years for the history of Christianity to be written in a formal way.. I'm no theologian ...but I do have an interest in people's beliefs. Thanks for the info...I'll have to look the others up. What about the modern day Rosicrucians...never hear much about them, but apparently they were there from the very beginning.
Enaj

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:37 pm
@Germlat,
The Seventh Day Adventists did not believe in the trinity when they first were founded in the 19th Century, but accepted it about 1931 after years of consideration...

There are also the Oneness denominations that do not believe in the trinity, but believe that Jesus is God. But no trinity.

Germlat

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 07:50 pm
@Enaj,
Also, the discovery of the Dead Sea scrolls has had an impact on Christian religion. So much has been altered ( translation, interpretation, and, of course what was actually disclosed). What a Christian authorities thought was relevant...for instance , the story of Mary Magdalene.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 24 Apr, 2014 10:11 pm
The bottom line is that it's probably not important if some people think Jesus is God and some think he's not.
I don't think God will be unduly concerned about the ones who've made an honest mistake.
0 Replies

Buttermilk

Fri 25 Apr, 2014 08:32 am
@real life,
I thought Jesus was charged for blasphemy by claiming he was the "Son of God" because according to Judaic Law, like Islam God has no equals, no partners and no children.
neologist

Fri 25 Apr, 2014 11:16 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
from John ch 13: "By this all will know that YOU are my disciples, if YOU have love among yourselves".
...it defines Christian pretty well, would you not say?
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Again I'm still not sure what you're getting at. and that verse could mean to stick only with your christian mates and don't waste your time with nonchristians.
It's difficult trying to define what a true Christian is because they all have different ideas; for example I've been told many times by so-called "christians" that I'm definitely not one, and I don't see much love towards me in their feedback..Wink-
Perhaps if you were like those referred to by Paul in Hebrews 10: 24, 25 And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near.(emphasis mine), you would have a reference group upon which to base your answer.
Romeo Fabulini, crediting neologist, wrote:
"Romeo is ignorant, malicious, a fable-spinner, talks drivel, a deceiver,a liar, self-deluded"
Now, Romeo; you know I never said those things about you all at once.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 25 Apr, 2014 01:57 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: Jesus said you don't have to go to church if you don't want.
Neologist said: Hebrews 10: 24, 25 "And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another"

Yes, if people find a good church good luck to them, but the only churches i've found are full of crackpots, so i stay well clear-
"Bad company corrupts good character" (1 Cor 15:33)
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Provs 13:20)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Neologist said: "Romeo is ignorant, malicious, a fable-spinner, talks drivel, a deceiver, a liar, self-deluded"
Now, Romeo; you know I never said those things about you all at once.

Yes but you still said them, as if I care!- "We're not looking for praise from men" (1 Thess 2:4-6)
Paul said- "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court" (1 Cor 4:3)

So watch out, the naughty step....
Jesus said -"Every careless word you speak will be judged..." (Matt 12:36)
McTag

Sun 27 Apr, 2014 01:56 am
@Romeo Fabulini,

"There is good and bad in everyone"
- Stevie Wonder
0 Replies

Enaj

Thu 1 May, 2014 06:40 pm
@Buttermilk,
The Jews accused him of making himself out to be God, he corrected them and said that he is the Son of God. Jesus also said that his Father is greater than all, so he does not claim that he is God.

That is how I see it.....

Enaj
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 1 May, 2014 07:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You have pretty well defined yourself without my input.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 1 May, 2014 07:57 pm
Quote:
Neologist said:@RF-You have pretty well defined yourself without my input.

There you go speaking in riddles again mate, I've told you before to speak plainly and don't be shy!
Maybe you were trying to insult me, I don't know, you said you were once a muscular weightlifter and arm-wrestler, but your insults carry about as much weight as Liberace's handbag..Smile
neologist

Thu 1 May, 2014 10:49 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Why do you assume that was an insult?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Fri 2 May, 2014 12:57 pm
Quote:
Neologist asked:@RF-Why do you assume that was an insult?

I don't mate, I was simply asking you to clarify whether it was so that we can take it from there. That's the problem if you shy away from straight talking and speak in wimpy lukewarm riddles, nobody can tell where you're coming from.
Careful, the naughty step....

God says -"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth" (Revelation 3:16)
Germlat

Wed 7 May, 2014 06:57 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
You think of it as riddles when people speak plainly ....maybe you don't understand.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Thu 8 May, 2014 12:06 am
Quote:
Germlat said to RF: you think of it as riddles when people speak plainly ....maybe you don't understand.

If people weren't such timid shrinking violets and said a little more about themselves in their profiles, we wouldn't be in the dark so much about what they're trying to say.
For example Neologist is a Jehovah's Witness but doesn't say so in his profile, as if he's trying to pass himself off as a normal christian.
And your profile is a complete blank, we don't know your age, your location, your job, your religion or anything, so for all we know you could be a big hairy trucker in drag..Smile