If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

Krumple

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:52 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

The word 'trinity' does not appear in the bible. Why is it such an important belief? Question

The thing is Jesus wasn't a christian, he was a jew. It was people after he died who wanted to elevate him into a god. I doubt he even wanted that and I am pretty sure all the miracles written later were invented to help prop him up as to being more than he was.

Most christians should really be called paulists because they really only do and act how paul suggests. Paul never knew jesus and seems to have invented the god head. The cult of christianity looked to paul for guidance and answers to how they should practice and what they should do. He was a self appointed authority and it stuck because they had nothing else.

There are many contradictions in the bible such as jesus pleading with god or not understanding why he must be murdered. If jesus was coming to save humanity why is he crying about it? If you knew you could sacrafice your life to save the entire human race why would you cry about it or want to opt out? It doesn't make any sense. Clearly he wanted to be pardoned and requested a pardon and got no response from god so he felt abandoned.

"Why do you forsake me?"

So getting back to it all. The christians wanted something easier to practice than judaism so they invented judaism-lite or christianity. It has fewer rules and all you have to do is claim to be a follower and you get your free ticket. But to get this to be believable they have to elevate jesus into a god or the jewish god incarnate. By doing that it cancels out judaism because it essentially says judaism didn't get god's characteristic correct and he had to come to earth as a human to fix things.

The holy ghost was just an addition to round it out since threes always sound better than twos. It also is an attempt to solve problems that poses when you start to consider what god is suppose to be, the un moved mover. If the un moved mover can be moved then its not an unmoved mover. But the holy ghost solves this problem. It's an attempt to have their cake and eat it too.

anonymously99

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:03 pm
@Krumple,
I know what you're doing K.
Krumple

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:17 pm
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:

I know what you're doing K.

arrogant much?
anonymously99

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:31 pm
@Krumple,
Didn't see that it was a problem.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Sat 29 Mar, 2014 11:10 pm
@Krumple,
I have no idea why people turn away from God, God's word. I don't understand why people choose to not believe in Jesus Christ when the evidence is, was there. Religion is a good topic for conversation.

If you don't believe Krumple it may not be too late for you to start believing.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:46 pm
Quote:
Krumple said: It was people after he died who wanted to elevate him into a god. I doubt he even wanted that
I am pretty sure all the miracles written later were invented to help prop him up as to being more than he was.
Most christians should really be called paulists because they really only do and act how paul suggests. Paul never knew jesus
If jesus was coming to save humanity why is he crying about it? "Why do you forsake me?"

1- Jesus never said he was God, although some misguided "christians" think he was God.
2- Why would anybody want to "invent" Jesus, what was in it for them?
3- Paul was originally a nasty bounty hunter who met the risen Jesus and was blasted off his feet with a powerful bolt of the holy spirit that turned him into a christian.
4- Jesus knew God hadn't forsaken him, he only said it to fulfill an ancient prophecy in Psalm 22
Krumple

Sun 30 Mar, 2014 11:58 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:

Quote:
Krumple said: It was people after he died who wanted to elevate him into a god. I doubt he even wanted that
I am pretty sure all the miracles written later were invented to help prop him up as to being more than he was.
Most christians should really be called paulists because they really only do and act how paul suggests. Paul never knew jesus
If jesus was coming to save humanity why is he crying about it? "Why do you forsake me?"

1- Jesus never said he was God, although some misguided "christians" think he was God.
2- Why would anybody want to "invent" Jesus, what was in it for them?
3- Paul was originally a nasty bounty hunter who met the risen Jesus and was blasted off his feet with a powerful bolt of the holy spirit that turned him into a christian.
4- He knew God hadn't forasken him, he only said it to fulfill an ancient prophecy

So I haven't strawmaned christianity, I strawmaned your personal belief, no one else's. If christians can't all agree, while one says one thing and you claim another how am I at fault for strawmaning? That is just plain silly.

It doesn't matter if Jesus claimed or didn't claim to be god. The facts are he was not a christian, he was a jew. This means that he followed jewish customs and he believed in the Torah. Modern christians completely ignore these things. They are the ones who nullified judaism and created a new religion.

Why would someone want to invent Jesus. As I have already pointed out. Judaism was too difficult to practice. It has some 600+ rules and disobeying those rules either meant lashings or a death sentence. The thing is christianity is going through the same thing that judaism went through then. People want to ratify christianity because it is no longer appealing.

In the good ol' days the people loved a vengeful wicked and jealous god but today people see that as petty so they want to say god is love, nothing else. They are trying to turn christianity into a hippy religion. It doesn't work because the bible contradicts a omni-benevolent all loving god. So modern christians claim foul when you bring that up and say THAT WAS THE OLD TESTAMENT things are different now. It is non-sense.

All modern christians are really just paulists. They constantly quote paul. And no paul didn't meet jesus in any form. It is nonsense. That is paul trying to empower himself so people will give him respect or see him as an authority. This is typical of church leaders to make up bullshit so the congregation will look to them as a source. All cult leaders play this mind game.

Jesus only asked why have you forsaken me to fulfill a prophecy? You can't get any more delusional if you honestly believe that. What a load of absolute male cow feces. It is near comedy what you said there..
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Mon 31 Mar, 2014 12:24 am
Quote:
Krumple said: That is paul trying to empower himself so people will give him respect or see him as an authority. This is typical of church leaders to make up bullshit so the congregation will look to them as a source.

1- Paul had a good steady job as a bounty hunter, rounding up christians for trial and punishment, so why on earth would he give that up to become a christian himself and suffer serious hassle on his travels like being whipped, imprisoned, shipwrecked, nearly drowned, mugged, cold and hungry etc? (2 Cor ch 12)

2- He wasn't in it for fame, he got fed up with people trying to put him on a pedestal and had to remind them to follow only Jesus- "Was I crucified for you?" (1 Cor 1:12/13)

3- And he had to remind them that he wasn't in it for the money- "Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit"- 2 Cor 2:17

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/REL-Paul.jpg

Incidentally Paul used to be a tentmaker and I'm sure he'd have sympathised with the Occupy London protesters who pitched their tents in front of the great London cathedral that was named after him-
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/st-pauls-tentsB_zpsff0c2ce5.jpg~original
Krumple

Mon 31 Mar, 2014 12:32 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
1- Paul had a good steady job as a bounty hunter, rounding up christians for trial and punishment, so why on earth would he give that up to become a christian himself and take serious hassle on his travels, whipped, imprisoned, shipwrecked, nearly drowned, mugged, cold and hungry? (2 Cor ch 12)

Because he was proselytizing and attempting to use that angle of attack. "Oh I was a druggy, I was an alcoholic, I had prostitutes and I stole and robbed and even murdered but guess what, I gave all that up and turned to the lord. So can you!"

It is bullshit, it is typical cult behavior.

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

2- He wasn't in it for fame, he got fed up with people trying to put him on a pedestal and had to remind them to follow only Jesus- "Was I crucified for you?" (1 Cor 1:12/13)

It does not matter. Paul self proclaimed himself the head authority. I am not making this up, biblical scholars say this same thing. This is why Paul's writings make it into the bible. They are the basis for instilling the brainwashing into new recruits. Paul's letters are everything that every modern christian uses to try and convert non-believers or to keep anyone from attempting to leave the church.

Romeo Fabulini wrote:

3- And he had to remind them that he wasn't in it for the money- "Unlike so many, we do not peddle the word of God for profit"- 2 Cor 2:17

It doesn't matter what the motivation was. Some people just want to impose their will onto society because they think it is best. So if lying is required it's for the greater good. They always find ways to justify it. Paul used this idea because he thought it would strengthen society. When you live in times of constant wars with little to no backlash for murders, you seek to find ways to instill the wrath of god into chaotic people to get them to behave peacefully.

McTag

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 03:25 pm

I don't believe in all this religion stuff.

I think Jesus of Nazareth was a zealot of the early Christian era with messianic tendencies, whose life story was not written up until 600 years after his death, by a priesthood with principally a big interest in promoting themselves.
And they've done pretty well out of it since.
Germlat

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 03:36 pm
@McTag,
Nothing was ever said directly.... Jesus never proclaimed himself God. Messiah to the Jews never meant divine. Many before Jesus were proclaimed messiah before Jesus.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 10:08 pm
@Krumple,
Faith in the Son of God

5 Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ[a] has become a child of God. And everyone who loves the Father loves his children, too. 2 We know we love God’s children if we love God and obey his commandments.3 Loving God means keeping his commandments, and his commandments are not burdensome. 4 For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith. 5 And who can win this battle against the world? Only those who believe that Jesus is the Son of God.6 And Jesus Christ was revealed as God’s Son by his baptism in water and by shedding his blood on the cross—not by water only, but by water and blood. And the Spirit, who is truth, confirms it with his testimony. 7 So we have these three witnesses[c]— 8 the Spirit, the water, and the blood—and all three agree. 9 Since we believe human testimony, surely we can believe the greater testimony that comes from God. And God has testified about his Son. 10 All who believe in the Son of God know in their hearts that this testimony is true. Those who don’t believe this are actually calling God a liar because they don’t believe what God has testified about his Son.11 And this is what God has testified: He has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have God’s Son does not have life.

Conclusion

13 I have written this to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know you have eternal life. 14 And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. 15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for.
anonymously99

Tue 1 Apr, 2014 11:29 pm
@anonymously99,
I truly believe you will live a beautiful life if you reach out, if you live your life to glorify the Holy Spirit, God, and Jesus Christ. To finally actually understand the birth of Jesus means more to me than I feel words can describe. It is as if God gave us, the people on earth, a miracle that some people choose to refuse to understand.
McTag

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 03:05 am
@anonymously99,

What about the muslims, the jews, and the atheists? And those who have never heard the word?
If anyone was made in the image of God, then they must have been too.

And some of them are pretty horrible, you have to agree.

So maybe you're wrong about this whole thing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Wed 2 Apr, 2014 01:59 pm
@anonymously99,
That may apply to an individual, but history has shown those generalizations do not apply to the religious' (any religion) folks who claims such.

History is our proof.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 11:38 pm
@anonymously99,
Quote:
If Jesus is God, how is he called God's only begotten son?

I wonder why neologist would ask this question. He should know the answer. 

Jesus is God's only son. Jesus is man and God 100%.

In I John 5:5 we read, “Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God.” What title is given to Jesus Christ in this Scripture?
In John 8:28 Jesus referred to Himself by what title?
So Jesus said,“When you have lifted up the Son of Man on the cross, then you will understand….”
As you can see, Jesus is an amazing person. There is no one else like Him. Jesus carries two very important titles. One title is The Son of God and the other is The Son of Man. Why does Jesus carry these two different titles?
Jesus was not 50% God and 50% man. Rather, Jesus was 100% God and 100%man. He is rightly called the God-Man. How could Jesus be called both the Son of God and the Son of Man?
To understand this better we must go back and see where Jesus came from.When we think about where Jesus came from we usually go back to His birth in Bethlehem 2000 years ago. But, before Jesus was born in Bethlehem, He lived somewhere else.

Question: "What does it mean that Jesus is God's only begotten son?"

Answer: The phrase “only begotten Son” occurs in John 3:16, which reads in the King James Version as, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life." The phrase "only begotten" translates the Greek word monogenes. This word is variously translated into English as "only," "one and only," and "only begotten." It's this last phrase ("only begotten" used in the KJV, NASB and the NKJV) that causes problems. False teachers have latched onto this phrase to try to prove their false teaching that Jesus Christ isn't God; i.e., that Jesus isn't equal in essence to God as the Second Person of the Trinity. They see the word "begotten" and say that Jesus is a created being because only someone who had a beginning in time can be "begotten." What this fails to note is that "begotten" is an English translation of a Greek word. As such, we have to look at the original meaning of the Greek word, not transfer English meanings into the text.
So what does monogenes mean? According to the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (BAGD, 3rd Edition), monogenes has two primary definitions. The first definition is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship." This is its meaning in Hebrews 11:17 when the writer refers to Isaac as Abraham's "only begotten son" (KJV). Abraham had more than one son, but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant. Therefore, it is the uniqueness of Isaac among the other sons that allows for the use ofmonogenes in that context.
The second definition is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind." This is the meaning that is implied in John 3:16 (see also John 1:14, 18; 3:18; 1 John 4:9). John was primarily concerned with demonstrating that Jesus is the Son of God (John 20:31), and he uses monogenes to highlight Jesus as uniquely God's Son—sharing the same divine nature as God—as opposed to believers who are God's sons and daughters by adoption (Ephesians 1:5). Jesus is God’s “one and only” Son.
The bottom line is that terms such as "Father" and "Son," descriptive of God and Jesus, are human terms that help us understand the relationship between the different Persons of the Trinity. If you can understand the relationship between a human father and a human son, then you can understand, in part, the relationship between the First and Second Persons of the Trinity. The analogy breaks down if you try to take it too far and teach, as some Christian cults (such as the Jehovah’s Witnesses), that Jesus was literally "begotten" as in “produced” or “created” by God the Father.
neologist

Sat 5 Apr, 2014 11:44 pm
@anonymously99,
anonymously99 wrote:
I wonder why neologist would ask this question. He should know the answer. 
I asked it to stir up conversation and to help folks understand that the trinity is a doctrine that dishonors God.
McTag

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 07:40 am
@neologist,

Aren't Christians a bit arrogant?
I've just had some Jehovah's Witnesses at the door. They don't agree with the catholics, who disagree with the protestants.
They can't all be right.

But they can all be wrong.
neologist

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 01:33 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
They can't all be right.
True
0 Replies

Enaj

Sun 6 Apr, 2014 09:27 pm
God has no beginning (Psalm 90:2) - Jesus had a beginning (Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:31-35)
God cannot die (1 Timothy 1:17) - Jesus died (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
God cannot be tempted (James 1:13) - Jesus was tempted (Hebrews 4:15)
No man or woman has ever seen God (1 John 4:12) - Jesus was seen by both men and women (John 1:29)
God is not a man (Numbers 23:19) - Jesus was and is a man (1 Timothy 2:5)
God does not ever need to learn (Isaiah 40:28) - Jesus had to grow and learn (Hebrews 5:8-9)
God does not need to be saved (Isaiah 45:7; 43:11) - Jesus needed salvation (Hebrews 5:7)
God cannot grow weary (Isaiah 40:28) - Jesus grew weary (John 4:6)
God does not sleep (Psalm 121:2-4) - Jesus slept (Matthew 8:24)
God's power is unlimited (Isaiah 45:5-7) - Jesus was limited in his power (John 5:19)
God knows all (Isaiah 46:10) - Jesus had limited knowledge (Mark 13:32)

Jesus never was and is not God. This is why he can be called the Son of God as the bible says.
0 Replies