Are you happy to know you will die?

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:49 am

Death or the fact that we die seems to be good news to Christians.

It is said that Adam’s sin brought death to earth and that the wages of sin is death.

Christians also sing that Adam's sin was a happy fault and necessary to god's plan.

This indicates that part of god’s plan and desire is that all people should die. God’s plan cannot be derailed., if god is real.

Do you think god’s plan working? If it is working as god wishes, which must be so if there is a powerful god, and if death is good for us, does the thought of dying make you happy?

If the notion of death makes you unhappy, then why sing of sin, --- and by inference, death, --- as being a happy fault and necessary to god’s plan?

Another issue on the death, specifically the death of Jesus springs to mind.

If Jesus was not a sinner, how could he have died?

Regards
DL

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/ffea24acdd4b6688766ea59f1ab3e48b180de250f6a2af629eede11ba94149a9.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 5,250 • Replies: 96

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:52 am
@Greatest I am,
Quote:
Do you think god’s plan working?
Yes. Unfortunately, he is an incompetent.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 08:36 am
As a great philosopher opined, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia" - Fields
McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 11:12 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

As a great philosopher opined, "All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia" - Fields

How great could that man be though? I mean Philadelphia? Today? No thanks. I don't want to get shot or buy drugs.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 01:16 pm
@McGentrix,
All right. Detroit, then.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 02:03 pm
@McGentrix,
That phrase was a joke Fields made when asked what he wanted to have written on his epitaph. It wasn't a compliment.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 02:30 pm
@Greatest I am,
For the average Christian, the thought of dying is somewhat cheerful. They expect to die and to to a place called Heaven. In Heaven they will apparently be reunited with their loved ones and be in eternal bliss.

Although I am aware that death will one day come a-knocking, I try not to think about it much. Neither happy or unhappy, it's just a fact that it'll happen.
oralloy

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 04:03 pm
Greatest I am wrote:
No. Very unhappy.

Greatest I am wrote:
If there is a positive afterlife awaiting good people when they die, great. But what if there isn't?
McGentrix

Reply Mon 8 Apr, 2019 07:40 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

That phrase was a joke Fields made when asked what he wanted to have written on his epitaph. It wasn't a compliment.

Well, ok then. So long as we are all clear Philadelphia is a terrible place.
Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 07:24 am
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Do you think god’s plan working?
Yes. Unfortunately, he is an incompetent.

I agree.

I see his plan as making us all slaves and am please that he is failing.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 07:28 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

For the average Christian, the thought of dying is somewhat cheerful. They expect to die and to to a place called Heaven. In Heaven they will apparently be reunited with their loved ones and be in eternal bliss.

Although I am aware that death will one day come a-knocking, I try not to think about it much. Neither happy or unhappy, it's just a fact that it'll happen.

A good attitude to have and which I share.

You might be right about Christians, but if that were true, it is belied by their stance against abortion.

Since scriptures say that many are called but few hear it, Christians should be happy to save the souls of the aborted ones for heaven before they grow up and mostly earn hell.

Christians are conflicted and should embrace abortions as they insure the souls get to heaven.

Regards
DL
0 Replies

Greatest I am

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 07:31 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:
No. Very unhappy.

Greatest I am wrote:
If there is a positive afterlife awaiting good people when they die, great. But what if there isn't?

Are you saying that you would like to live eternally?

Do you not think that at some time, perhaps even a short time of a couple of hundred years, you would be bored to tears and wish death?

Regards
DL
blatham

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:26 am
The definitive text on the christian afterlife is Mark Twain's Letters From Earth. Copies available at Amazon for as little as $1.26. You and your family will long cherish the volume. Order today.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 10:30 am
@McGentrix,
Years ago, Philly had the most malicious group of pro hockey players I've ever seen. This supports your thesis, of course. I've never been there as my mom wouldn't let us go.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 11:29 am
@Greatest I am,
I am planning to never die.

So far, I have been meeting this goal.
oralloy

Reply Wed 10 Apr, 2019 03:17 pm
@Greatest I am,
Greatest I am wrote:
Do you not think that at some time, perhaps even a short time of a couple of hundred years, you would be bored to tears and wish death?

If I get so bored with endless life that I prefer death, that's one thing. At the moment I very much prefer to go on living.

If there is an afterlife awaiting us when we die, what prevents us from being bored with endless life in Heaven?
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 07:13 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am planning to never die.

So far, I have been meeting this goal.

What makes you think you would not be bored to death if you lived eternally?

Regards
DL
Greatest I am

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 07:14 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Greatest I am wrote:

If I get so bored with endless life that I prefer death, that's one thing. At the moment I very much prefer to go on living.

If there is an afterlife awaiting us when we die, what prevents us from being bored with endless life in Heaven?

Nothing that I know of and logic and reason say that we would be.

Regards
DL
oralloy

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2019 12:19 pm
@Greatest I am,
Why would eternal life in Heaven be any different from eternal life in our present existence?

What if we found a way to modify ourselves in this present existence so that we no longer experienced boredom as a negative sensation?
auroreII

Reply Fri 19 Apr, 2019 05:10 am
@oralloy,

"What if we found a way to modify ourselves in this present existence so that we no longer experienced boredom as a negative sensation?"

Good luck with that. I suppose you could say that those heroine addicts who kill themselves by overdosing looking for that one great high are attempting to do that. I wouldn't recommend it. Perhaps we only find true happiness when we bend our will to God's will. Love, kindness, caring, forgiveness, altruism... A lot of people find happiness in following Christ.