How (and when) will the Government Shutdown end?

coldjoint

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 01:50 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:

My prediction is that the Republicans in the Senate call an end to this

Don't you mean that Romney will break off with other uniparty Republicans with globalists behind them and end this? Good luck with that. Too many Republicans are on the ballot in 2020. If they side with Romney they will not be re-elected.
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:17 pm
@coldjoint,

That cartoon perfectly describes the situation where the Dems are unwilling to discuss national security or anything else with Trump because they don't want to appear to cooperate with him in any way.

What's amazing in all this is that if US politics turns into appeasing the public by refusing to discuss any issues across party lines constructively, then the public itself has turned against pluralistic democracy completely.

At that point, what is the solution for a democratic government that is totally beholden to anti-democracy forces pushed from the ground up? Doesn't the government at that point have to start punishing the people for anti-democracy? If so, that would seem strange and authoritarian but what else can you do to force people embrace democracy as a proper forum for governing despite a plurality of views being represented?
engineer

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:38 pm
@tsarstepan,
There are probably votes in the Senate to override, but if McConnell refuses to bring the original bill to the floor it doesn't matter.
RABEL222

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 04:43 pm
@engineer,
I hope your right. Its Trumps shutdown and I hope all those trump voters. Who voted for Trump make up the majority of the people not being paid.
livinglava

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 05:39 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I hope your right. Its Trumps shutdown and I hope all those trump voters. Who voted for Trump make up the majority of the people not being paid.

You want to blame it on Trump, but what has anyone put forth except arguments about why he should re-open government without the wall or anything else to improve border security, which seems to be his primary concern?

Look at it this way: as long as the border isn't secure, what his opponents are asking him to do is re-open the government to just keep feeding money into the economy that is paying for the trafficking.

How can he in good conscience re-open the government until there is acknowledgment of the security concerns? Do the DEMS think they are just going to make the security problems disappear off the radar by denying them?

If nothing else they should propose broader powers for ascertaining the extent of the trafficking. A wall or series of fences or barbed wire or whatever else would channel people into certain corridors where they could randomly stopped and subjected to abdominal xrays would at least help to ascertain to some extent how much drugs is being smuggled in that way.

Whatever they do, they should be engaging in constructive dialogue to sort out a common agreement on security to end the standoff and blaming.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:27 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
Who voted for Trump make up the majority of the people not being paid.

really? have you got some info on that?
roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:43 pm
@ehBeth,
I think the entire post should be read as one sentence. Delete the period and make the W lower case, and it will make better sense.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:48 pm
@roger,
could be.

I'm still curious about the demographics.
roger

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 06:48 pm
By the way, I have noticed traffic is way down at the local Denny's restaurant, especially on Christmas Day. No waiting for a table, which was incredible.

Many of us depend on Social Security benefits; old people are easily scared, and probably worried about those checks. No reason to worry, but I think that's a good explanation for the vacant tables.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:24 pm
another account of the impact of the shutdown on people other than direct employees of the federal gov't

Quote:
My job is to cut the paychecks for local fire fighters, fire chiefs, policemen, etc. (States/tribes/territories request funds then I hit the payment button and then those munipalities use that to pay their salary). There is a LOT of Federal assistance local first responders receive that most people aren't aware of. And that's just me personally. There is so much more that's not happening as a result of the rest of the agency being furloughed.
coldjoint

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:32 pm
@ehBeth,
No source?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Mon 7 Jan, 2019 07:48 pm
@livinglava,
Quote:
If so, that would seem strange and authoritarian but what else can you do to force people embrace democracy as a proper forum for governing despite a plurality of views being represented?

That is what the Left wants so they can yell fascist. Ironic because that it what they want, but they have to be in charge.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 06:54 am
Trump makes his move tonight!

We will either get a National Emergency, a threat of a National Emergency, or Trump whining about a National Emergency.

I am actually looking forward to this speech.
livinglava

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 07:08 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
If so, that would seem strange and authoritarian but what else can you do to force people embrace democracy as a proper forum for governing despite a plurality of views being represented?

That is what the Left wants so they can yell fascist. Ironic because that it what they want, but they have to be in charge.

The 'left' would no longer be the left it they were in charge of a fascist authoritarian regime. They would be the extreme right by definition. Left is only 'left' as long as it is in opposition to the dominant party of government.

If we end up with such a strong repressive government, the question is whether power will be used to re-establish liberty and democracy or whether it will be used to structure the economy according to central planning objectives.

I think the last thing the Democrats want is for it to be used to re-establish liberty and democracy, because they can't seem to reconcile that with their economic objectives. They've defined racism, for example, not as the view and treatment of individuals according to notions of racial collectivism, but as failing to support racial equality at the collective level. Basically they want to replace individualism with collectivism and use regulation to structure individual life according to collective classifications. In short, they don't really care what you do or think as an individual; only what you are according to collective categories, what your race/gender/class is, what party you support. As such I'm surprised they don't (openly) support Trump's nationalism and national security program, but that's probably because they don't need it to relegate non-citizens to serving as slaves for global organized crime.
revelette1

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 08:24 am
@maxdancona,
I plan on watching a re-run of law and order
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 08:39 am
@revelette1,
I would rather rewatch Crash (2004), one of the most painfully obnoxious turds to win Best Picture before submitting myself to the horrible miseries that is Trump's address tonight.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 08:49 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

I plan on watching a re-run of law and order

I suppose you are the kind of person who doesn't slow down to check out the accident that happened on the other side of the median strip.

(My daughter asked me this morning if she still had to go to school if there is a National Emergency.).
farmerman

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 09:29 am
@livinglava,
Quote:

I think the last thing the Democrats want is for it to be used to re-establish liberty and democracy, because they can't seem to reconcile that with their economic objectives.
WOW, what a pile of dung. Think about this, Trump OWNED the presidency, and ALL the Congress for two years, now that hes faced with a biprty legislature, he wants to declare a "National Emergency", and this AM hes announced that hes doing this because he really believes it and , by doing o, he can bypass the Congress. Another step on the road to fascism, a leader who denies the legislative body its coequal status. Next steps involve "dissolving the Parliament"

What a loser he is.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:17 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
I would rather rewatch Crash (2004), one of the most painfully obnoxious turds to win Best Picture
before submitting myself to the horrible miseries that is Trump's address tonight.
i think i'll check out the other Crash (1996) ...
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Tue 8 Jan, 2019 11:29 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Another step on the road to fascism

Trump has a ways to go to catch up with the fascism from the last administration. Who does he have spying on the DNC? Anyone? Who does he have charging friends of Obama and ruining their lives? Obama politicized supposedly independent agencies, that is fascism. And you should call no one a loser, it is hypocritical, and Trump did not lose, did he?