How (and when) will the Government Shutdown end?

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 24 Apr, 2020 03:53 pm
@BillRM,
Inconvenient fact, he'll ignore it and insult you in ... 3 ... 2 ...
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:34 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

You do know that the majority of illegal drugs come by way of the border check points and are not carry over the border at other locations or do you?

I've heard that before, but of course there is an interest in keeping other illegal drug trafficking routes secret in order to avoid police attention.

If you suggest border check points should be the main focus of policing, traffickers will look for other routes that are ignored, won't they?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 06:53 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
That makes the wall sound like ransom to buy freedom for the DACA dreamers, but I don't see it that way.

Not so much ransom as political compromise. Both sides get something they want.

livinglava wrote:
Democrats who would be willing to consent to a wall they don't want in order to get deferred deportation of dreamers would be gambling with the dreamers' future prospects while making it easier for traffickers to further abuse the border and people whose lives extend to both sides of it.

I don't believe that Democrats seriously object to the wall. They are just blocking it to be spiteful towards Mr. Trump.

Immigration reform legislation would not mean an extension of DACA, but rather a permanent fix that would allow the Dreamers to stay permanently.
livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:17 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

livinglava wrote:
That makes the wall sound like ransom to buy freedom for the DACA dreamers, but I don't see it that way.

Not so much ransom as political compromise. Both sides get something they want.

What compromise is not some form of hostage deal for ransom?
Compromise and quid pro quo are only legitimate in business deals where the sacrifice is acceptable.
The lives of the DACA 'dreamers' hang in the balance of these political deals, so you can't subject them to the false hope that DACA provides in exchange for registering with the government for deportation.
People need to be able to plan their futures without threat of deportation.
All DACA does it make it easier to deport them by getting them to register in exchange for more time.
It just says, "if you make it easier on us to find you and process your deportation, we will give you a little more time before deporting you.
Is that ethical, and if so why/how?

Quote:

I don't believe that Democrats seriously object to the wall. They are just blocking it to be spiteful towards Mr. Trump.

I don't think they object to the idea of protecting jobs that US citizens want from foreign competition, as job-protection is a fundamental value of unions and other job-protection measures such as tenure, anti-discrimination, etc.

But I don't think they see the wall as being an effective tool, and they would rather spend the money on hiring more bureaucrats to regulate and monitor economic activities so that workers can file complaints about unauthorized competition and have people removed from jobs they have instituted protections for.

They don't have to say the reason they want to protect their job is to put citizens first. It's less ugly to just require certified workers and then have citizenship as a condition of getting certified, for example. They don't want to broadcast the inherent nativism in such policies and regulations, because that could lead people to question it. It's more effective to build an invisible bureaucratic wall and to do it quietly than to do what Trump does, drawing lots of attention and criticism to it.

Quote:
Immigration reform legislation would not mean an extension of DACA, but rather a permanent fix that would allow the Dreamers to stay permanently.

That would be the right thing to do for them, but the problem is that doing so would set a precedent that would give people hope that bringing their children someplace as minors is like a DACA-amnesty lottery.

The problem is that there aren't just people who want to migrate due to their own independent decision-making. There are also business interests throughout the world that want to plant people in the US to use them as liaisons, so those business interests are going to press people to bring their children to the US knowing that they will be able to get a fast-track to citizenship later because they were brought as children.

In fact, people won't even wait to to prompted by a business. They will figure out on their own that their children gain marketability if they are moved to the US as children to gain a greater chance of winning the citizenship lottery.

So the problem that has to be dealt with is global, which is why are so many people trying to migrate for economic reasons? How can we fix the global economy so people can live happily and sustainably wherever they are and that way migration becomes something that people only do voluntarily and not because they see it as a way to make more money for themselves or anyone else.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:32 am
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:
Compromise and quid pro quo are only legitimate in business deals where the sacrifice is acceptable.

I think compromise is acceptable in politics.

livinglava wrote:
The lives of the DACA 'dreamers' hang in the balance of these political deals, so you can't subject them to the false hope that DACA provides in exchange for registering with the government for deportation.
People need to be able to plan their futures without threat of deportation.
All DACA does it make it easier to deport them by getting them to register in exchange for more time.
It just says, "if you make it easier on us to find you and process your deportation, we will give you a little more time before deporting you.
Is that ethical, and if so why/how?

Thus the need for immigration reform legislation that offers a permanent fix.

livinglava wrote:
I don't think they object to the idea of protecting jobs that US citizens want from foreign competition, as job-protection is a fundamental value of unions and other job-protection measures such as tenure, anti-discrimination, etc.

But I don't think they see the wall as being an effective tool, and they would rather spend the money on hiring more bureaucrats to regulate and monitor economic activities so that workers can file complaints about unauthorized competition and have people removed from jobs they have instituted protections for.

Lots of things are ineffective. The Democrats don't usually object so strenuously to them.

I do not believe that their strenuous objections to the wall have anything to do with effectiveness.

livinglava wrote:
That would be the right thing to do for them, but the problem is that doing so would set a precedent that would give people hope that bringing their children someplace as minors is like a DACA-amnesty lottery.

The problem is that there aren't just people who want to migrate due to their own independent decision-making. There are also business interests throughout the world that want to plant people in the US to use them as liaisons, so those business interests are going to press people to bring their children to the US knowing that they will be able to get a fast-track to citizenship later because they were brought as children.

I don't see any problem. Immigration enriches our nation. If people want to come, I welcome them.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:47 am
@oralloy,
Hard to argue against your points, but as they say the devil may well be in the details.
livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 07:57 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

livinglava wrote:

I think compromise is acceptable in politics.

It is possible to use an opponent's willingness to compromise to gain leverage against them. If you are trying to sell something, e.g. a house, you set your asking price high so that you have room to compromise and still get what you want for it.
The only way to legitimately compromise is if the product of the compromise is ethically acceptable.
You can't compromise ethics without being unethical.
You can't compromise morality without being immoral.
Sometimes you have no choice but to compromise, for pragmatic reasons, but in that case you better pray for mercy, because you are going to be accountable for whatever you authorize as a 'compromise.'

Quote:

Thus the need for bipartisan immigration reform legislation that offers a permanent fix.

Yes, of course. But I don't think it is possible to reform migration/border control policies without reforming the issues that cause exploitation of borders and migrants, such as the illegal trafficking industries. Those industries exist because of globalized criminal networks that exploit national differences to abuse some people for the benefit of others.

Think of it this way: you can have a citizen of Europe or Asia going to South America to procure drugs and set up a trafficking network that abuses poor Latin Americans as mules to deliver drugs to US citizens who have been seduced into drug addiction in order to milk their ability to make money and filter it back through the drug network.

It is people exploiting national differences to make money unethically, so how can you reform migration/borders in a way that won't be taken advantage of by criminals who lie and cheat in any way they can to make money with no concern for who gets hurt, used, or cheated in the process?

livinglava wrote:

Lots of things are ineffective. The Democrats don't usually object so strenuously to them.

I do not believe that their strenuous objections to the wall have anything to do with effectiveness.

I just think there are wealthy interests that quietly tell the Democratic party to oppose the wall because building it turns up tunnels that are built and used for smuggling. It's not that they are all in favor of drugs and smuggling, but that they don't want to criminalize something that some rich people enjoy spending their money on, i.e. because it creates jobs and stimulates the economy.

Quote:
livinglava wrote:

I don't see any problem. Immigration enriches our nation. If people want to come, I welcome them.

Being pushed to migrate to make money for other people is wrong; it's trafficking. People should be free to choose where to live and work and not pushed into migrating and remitting money to others who pushed them to move for that reason.

Think about it in the historical context of slavery: Former slaves migrated north for freedom via the underground railroad and otherwise, right? But what if it turned out that those people were not moving freely but instead were doing so because their family members were being held hostage so that they would go north to make money and remit it back to their former plantation bosses in exchange for better treatment of their family members?

If former slaves were being trafficked to make money remotely for their plantation bosses, would that be freedom or just another form of slavery?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:05 am
@bobsal u1553115,
the etiology of the Spanish Flu was just about the same as Covid-19. It showed up as a highly contageous seasonal flu with some unique symptoms like diahhrea and dry coughs. It first attacked the older folks in a manner that could never be accurately ascertained in that time. Then, when the warmwr weather arrived it sort of "went away" only to come back in the middle Autumn with a killing pandemic that accounted for about 50-65 MILLION deaths worldwide. These deaths focused on the young who died from cytokine floods in which their immune systems were ovrloaded .

e are starting to see the thermo regulated virii here the lowest death rates are in the warmer climes and the others are just (IMHO) mutating into new forms of attack.

We desperately need a vaccine because this president is CLUELESS about what the sickness can portend. ID love to be dead wrong but politics cannot run this fight, it must be science, the several overlapping models and vaccine development.
China is doing clinical testing of a killed antigen vaccine and this is rather good news because from what Ive read in pre-pub NATURE, its shown really powerful results on over 100 diseased Macaques.
We should NOT do anything rash, by underestimating the strength of these critters and their ability to mutate by mans we do now understand. Thanks to Lynn Margulis and, of all people, Comte LaMarck.
(I never ever thought that we would be taking this guy sriously again. )
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:12 am
@farmerman,
Nother test on this Chinese vaccine that Ive only heard about is based on viruses acellular structure. They are delivering the vaccine in "packets" via cellular mitochondrial RNS, since virus do not have a mitochondria, (only eukaryotes have mRNA) , the virus, it i felt, will accept and try to do a "Vulcan mind meld" with the altered RNA and this would somehow be passed on by simpl division. followed by death
livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
politics cannot run this fight, it must be science, the several overlapping models and vaccine development.

Good luck preventing scientists from using their authority to propagate political interests and agendas.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:16 am
@farmerman,
deliver the RNA through mitochondrial transfer (Viruse are acellular prokaryotes which do NOT have mitochondria). so they may more easily accept the "vaccine delivery" by HGT (horizontal gene tranfer) to the virus . I will rad more and try to understand it better but looks lik the Chinese arent flat on their asses and swampwd by political hacks. The hell of it is that probably most of the Chinese scientists were trained at Cambridge or Stanford or Max Planck
0 Replies

livinglava

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:19 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Nother test on this Chinese vaccine that Ive only heard about is based on viruses acellular structure. They are delivering the vaccine in "packets" via cellular mitochondrial RNS, since virus do not have a mitochondria, (only eukaryotes have mRNA) , the virus, it i felt, will accept and try to do a "Vulcan mind meld" with the altered RNA and this would somehow be passed on by simpl division. followed by death

You should explain this better. To people who know a little bit about DNA and cellular biology, it sounds like you know what you're talking about; but you're talking about genetic modification at the level of mitochondria and viruses and not explaining how it works and, most importantly, how it would be safe from causing genetic mutations in places you would want to avoid genes mutating.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:36 am
@farmerman,
I prayed to be wrong. While I was in consternation that he might be right about quinine cure - I did want him to be right. What little I knew about the science told me this was a dartboard choice for a cure but I thought it needed enough of a look to prove it or eliminate it. Its obviously a bad lead.

Its pretty clear this will not be a disease with a single off the shelf silver bullet. And there he is getting further into the woooooooo.

I am afraid no one has a clue of how to use the 25th amendment on him. Just like no one realized how much ability the Constitution provided him to be exempt from the law. We've just never had a President who's presented us with these problems in real time before.

But the Constitution is a living document, not carved in stone; as simply fixed as it sometimes is thwarted.

If we can take the Senate as well we will take the WH, we will have an opportunity to close a President's immunity for breaking laws as well refining the 25th amendment to trigger the process it allows for.
farmerman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 08:45 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Quote:
But the Constitution is a living document,

I really wish that wre true, however this Supreme court decade has posted some concrete in leaning toward its "Originality "
RABEL222

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:15 am
@farmerman,
The supreme court can be cured of its political bias.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:40 am
@RABEL222,
Upholding the law is hardly political bias.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:41 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
I really wish that were true, however this Supreme court decade has posted some concrete in leaning toward its "Originality"

I'm pretty sure he was referring to amending the Constitution. He referred to winning control of the Senate and then refining the 25th Amendment.

But... what is wrong with the courts enforcing the law as it is written? That's their job.
oralloy

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:44 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:
If we can take the Senate as well we will take the WH, we will have an opportunity to close a President's immunity for breaking laws as well refining the 25th amendment to trigger the process it allows for.

Anything that Democrats can use to wreck Republican presidencies, Republicans can use to wreck Democratic presidencies.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 09:56 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'm pretty sure he was referring to amending the Constitution .... what is wrong with the courts enforcing the law as it is written? That's their job.

That's the job of most courts, but that's not the job of the SCOTUS. it rules on the Constitutionality of any law and/or the enforcement. SCOTUS has also made rulings and contra-ruled those rulings later like the Dred Scott ruling and 2nd amendment rulings that have changed back and forth several times.

I'm not looking to amend the second amendment, I looking for laws that clearly triggers 25th amendment provisions that would pass a challenge in front of SCOTUS if a challenge somehow got past Federal Appeals Courts.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2020 10:02 am
@oralloy,
Maybe. That's why I want an Electoral College and I believe in a real filibuster, not the fake one we've reduced it to where a filibuster can be called and the caller doesn't even have to take the floor.
0 Replies