How (and when) will the Government Shutdown end?

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 03:08 pm
@coldjoint,
So you’ll stop using the unsourced, now admittedly unrelated, 100 billion dollar figure?
revelette1

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 03:31 pm
@oralloy,
No your style is to simply repeat the post you are replying and just saying the opposite. That is not presenting any arguments.

For instance someone says, "the sky today is sunny with some clouds". You would simple say, "no the sky is not sunny with some clouds".

Trump was not willing to compromise on his stated amount of money for an actual wall along the southern border. Democrats do not accept an actual wall is needed along the southern border. The way Trump could have compromised would have been to say, we will do comprehensive security measures which includes some building of fencing (of some type)along with other security measures. But he was not willing to do that. If he did, he would have got what he wanted and there would be no shutdown.

What if Obama had decided to pull a stunt like Trump is pulling over the closing of GITMO (might wish he did do it) He would tell republicans either you close GITMO or I won't sign the budget? What do you do with that if you are against closing GITMO? What if he refused to take that off table but was willing to throw in a few conservative freebies to what he wants? Where is the compromise?

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 03:42 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
No your style is to simply repeat the post you are replying and just saying the opposite. That is not presenting any arguments.
For instance someone says, "the sky today is sunny with some clouds". You would simple say, "no the sky is not cloudy with some clouds".
Countering an untrue statement by saying what the truth is, is presenting an argument.

revelette1 wrote:
Trump was not willing to compromise on his stated amount of money for an actual wall along the southern border. Democrats do not accept an actual wall is needed along the southern border. The way Trump could have compromised would have been to say, we will do comprehensive security measures which includes some building of fencing (of some type)along with other security measures. But he was not willing to do that. If he did, he would have got what he wanted and there would be no shutdown.
It's not what he wants.

revelette1 wrote:
What if Obama had decided to pull a stunt like Trump is pulling over the closing of GITMO (might he wish did do it) He would tell republicans either you close GITMO or I won't sign the budget?
Then the government would stay shut down until both sides came to an agreement.

revelette1 wrote:
What do you do with that if you are against closing GITMO?
If someone opposed closing it, they would argue why it should stay open.

revelette1 wrote:
What if he refused to take that off table but was willing to throw in a few conservative freebies to what he wants? Where is the compromise?
Well, the opposition to closing GITMO is because doing so would have been a pointless (and expensive) publicity stunt that served no real purpose other than to save Democrats from being tarred with their own slander.

But if Obama had offered conservatives something really nice in exchange for doing it, that would have been worth considering.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 04:07 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
So you’ll stop using the unsourced, now admittedly unrelated, 100 billion dollar figure?

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/illegal-immigrants-cost-us-100-billion-year-group/story?id=10699317
Quote:
Huge Amounts Spent on Immigration, Study Finds

From the holy NYT in 2013, there are more illegals now.
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/08/us/huge-amounts-spent-on-immigration-study-finds.html
maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 04:49 pm
@coldjoint,
Now sourced (the truth of that number is in question)
Still not related to the wall.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 04:52 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
Still not related to the wall.

When they bitch about the cost of the wall, it sure is. What planet does your reasoning come from?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:03 pm
While you guys are all continuing with this mindless bickering ... I want to point out.

My prediction was correct. After 6 Republican senators crossed party lines... Trump is declaring a national emergency.

I was a week off on my prediction, but I was correct.

The rest of my prediction stands. This will fail in the courts. Trump and supporters will blame everything on liberal judges and the liberal media.

There will be no wall.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Trump is declaring a national emergency.
Interesting. I haven't turned on the evening news yet so I hadn't heard that.

So Trump can have his State of the Union?

maxdancona wrote:
The rest of my prediction stands. This will fail in the courts. Trump and supporters will blame everything on liberal judges and the liberal media.
And if it doesn't fail in the courts?

maxdancona wrote:
There will be no wall.
There will be no DACA fix. My condolences.
coldjoint

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:20 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
My prediction was correct.

kudos
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:25 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
There will be no wall.
There will be no DACA fix. My condolences.

DACA kids are fine for at least the next 2 years. By then, we hopefully will have a Democratic president to fix it.

Trumps offer was like his hair, all fluff.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:34 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DxtokxiX4AEkkLx.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 05:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
DACA kids are fine for at least the next 2 years. By then, we hopefully will have a Democratic president to fix it.
You won't. There will not be a Democratic president until at least 2037 (if then).

And when there is another Democratic president, one day in the distant future, they will spend their entire presidency dodging impeachment inquiries as the Republicans take justified revenge for the witch hunt that is being waged against Trump.

maporsche wrote:
Trumps offer was like his hair, all fluff.
Perhaps. But the right move was to make a counteroffer that had a real fix for DACA, not to just blindly keep opposing Trump no matter what.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 06:06 pm
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/24/18196374/michael-bennet-colorado-ted-cruz-government-shutdown

Bennet marking a spot in the party?

Quote:
As the United States Senate debated two dead-in-the-water bills to end the government shutdown on Thursday, Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO) delivered an exasperated speech from the Senate floor. He attacked Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) for his “crocodile tears” over the shutdown and shouted that it’s “ludicrous” for President Donald Trump to refuse to fund the government over his insistence on a border wall.

A clip of the Colorado Democrat slamming Republicans and the White House for keeping the government closed quickly went viral. Cruz called for Democratic senators to “withdraw their objections” to the GOP and Trump, and Bennet wasn’t having it.

“I seldom, as you know, rise on this floor to contradict somebody on the other side. I’ve worked very hard over the years to work in a bipartisan way with the presiding officer, with my Republican colleagues,” Bennet said. “But these crocodile tears that the senator from Texas is crying over first responders is hard to take.”

Quote:
Bennet zeroed in on Cruz’s role in the 2013 government shutdown over Republicans’ insistence that any spending bill passed at that time delay the implementation of the Affordable Care Act. Cruz essentially led a group of Republicans in keeping the government closed for 17 days, at one point taking the Senate floor for a 21-hour speech, including a reading of Green Eggs and Ham.

“In 2013, my state was flooded, it was underwater, people were killed, people’s houses were destroyed. Their small businesses were ruined forever,” Bennet said, describing massive flooding that devastated Colorado in 2013. “And because of the senator from Texas, this government was shut down for politics that he surfed to a second-place finish in the Iowa caucuses.”

Cruz ran for the president in 2016, losing to Trump in the Republican primary.

Bennet continued his attack on Cruz, who he said “supports a president who wants to erect a medieval barrier, who wants to use eminent domain to build that wall, who wants to declare an unconstitutional emergency to build that wall.” That, Bennet said, is Cruz’s prerogative.

“I can assure you that in Colorado, if a president said he was going to use eminent domain to erect a barrier across the state of Colorado, across the mountains of Colorado, he was going to steal the property of our farmers and ranchers to build his medieval wall, there wouldn’t be an elected leader from our state that would support his idea,” Bennet said.

He saved perhaps his most impassioned critique for last, and was clearly emotional when he delivered it:

Which goes to my final point, how ludicrous it is that this government is shut down over a promise the president of the United States couldn’t keep. And that America is not interested in having him keep. This idea that he was going to build a medieval wall across the southern border of Texas, take it from the farmers and ranchers that were there and have the Mexicans pay for it is isn’t true. That’s why we’re here.

Where we are in the government shutdown: nobody has answers
The US government is in the midst of its longest government shutdown in history, with the current partial shutdown about to reach the 34-day mark at midnight on Thursday. And there are no answers in sight.

The Senate on Thursday voted on two bills to reopen the government — one that included the $5 billion Trump is demanding for his border wall, and one that did not. Neither appeared to have any chance of passing in the first place.

Some 800,000 federal government workers have been furloughed or are working without pay, and hundreds of thousands of government contractors have been impacted as well. The shutdown is starting to have a real impact on the US economy, not to mention likely millions of people’s lives. Yet lawmakers have not come to a solution.

Trump seems no closer to conceding on his border wall insistence, despite polling suggesting perhaps he should, and all sides are dug in. Bennet’s speech highlights the desperation of the moment — not only among lawmakers but, perhaps more importantly, among the people who are feeling the effects of the ordeal each day.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 06:13 pm
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/1/23/18194184/trump-shutdown-polling

results from 2 recent polls

cherry-picked (by me) bits

Quote:
There is a glimmer of positivity for Trump in the CBS poll. It finds that a slight majority of people, 52 percent, want Democrats to agree to a budget that includes wall funding, compared to 43 percent who want Dems to refuse to fund the border wall.

But of particular concern to Trump is the CBS poll’s finding that his base is beginning to fracture over the shutdown, with significant percentages of Republicans now saying the wall isn’t worth it and expressing support for reopening the government without wall funding.

Quote:
Trump's base is fracturing over the shutdown.

The new CBS poll finds:

43% of Republicans say the wall is *not* worth govt shutdown

21% of Republicans say border can be secured *without* wall

30% of Republicans want Trump to reopen govt *without* wall

this could payoff for the republicans

Quote:
n a statement, Tyler Sinclair, Morning Consult’s vice president, said, “As the government shutdown enters its second month, President Trump continues to carry the bulk of the blame among voters for the stalemate. ... In this week’s poll nearly half of voters (49 percent) say the president is responsible — up 6 points since the shutdown began. At the same time, 35 percent of voters blame congressional Democrats, up 4 points, while 4 percent of voters blame congressional Republicans, down 3 points.”

but then again

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lCEKnoRIbDqoeHylYxWCVjYfSeY=/0x0:620x349/920x0/filters:focal(0x0:620x349):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/13708366/5_trump_v_pelosi_shutdown.png

details and links at the link
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 06:20 pm
@oralloy,
You are living in a fantasy world.

And Schumer, publically, made that offer over a year ago. Trump agreed, then reneged on his agreement. Real stand up guy that Trump.

Youve got no idea what may have gone on behind closed doors.
maporsche

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 06:24 pm
@oralloy,
I’ll make you a bet.

If tYrump wins, I will not post on this board until another Democrat is elected president.

If Trump loses, you don’t post until the next Republican.
livinglava

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 06:51 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I’ll make you a bet.

If tYrump wins, I will not post on this board until another Democrat is elected president.

If Trump loses, you don’t post until the next Republican.

What about until Democrats and Republicans start working together constructively, we just keep electing more and more tyrannical leaders who will just punish the population for failing to embrace democracy and discuss issues across lines of difference?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 07:54 pm
@maporsche,
I don't like bets that result in negative consequences for either me or another person.

I'm willing to have a bet where the only consequence is that we publicly acknowledge that one of us has won the bet.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 07:55 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Youve got no idea what may have gone on behind closed doors.
True. I believe I mentioned that the other day.

But with so many people opposing any compromise by the Democrats, I thought it was fair to point out that "no compromise" is bad policy.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Jan, 2019 07:57 pm
@oralloy,
So, Oralloy... you do negotiate with terrorists? (yes, I am joking). The idea that you always have to compromise is ridiculous. If your negotiating partner isn't being reasonable, walking away is perfectly reasonable, especially when he is going to pay a greater price than you are.

There are lots of times in life that I refused to compromise, most recently my company didn't want to pay me what I was worth, they offered me something less then what I was asking for. I didn't compromise... I went and got myself a new job.

There is no reason for the Democrats to compromise unless what Trump is offering is too good to let up. Trump has done something stupid and gotten himself into a fight that he can't win. Not surprisingly, now he is losing this fight. The public is against him and he is starting to lose the support of his own party. Trump needs to compromise, and even then the Democrats don't have to give him anything.