How (and when) will the Government Shutdown end?

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 12:54 pm
@neptuneblue,
neptuneblue wrote:

And you get mad at US? Wth?

Max likes to scold, nobody's behaviour on A2K is good enough for him. He's even started threads demanding people be more polite. Then he looks down on us all for failing to live up to his high standards.

Get used to it, it's his thing, regardless of the topic he'll tell everyone off for not talking as they should.

Curiously enough, on the threads where people are friendly to one another, like the puzzles, games and community threads, you never see him.
farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:01 pm
@izzythepush,
yeh, Coluber's art thread is a bunch of fresh air, and Edgar's van Gogh thread.
Roberta and ehbeth and Clammity are gemmy ladies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:03 pm
@farmerman,
They are lovely.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:48 pm
@farmerman,
And yet you guys are here... throwing mud and nastiness. Go figure.

I suspect that no one has come to throw random partisan childish insults on Coluber's art thread or Edgar's Van Gogh thread. That is probably why they are nice.

coldjoint

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:54 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
And yet you guys are here... throwing mud and nastiness.

Are you on that higher plane of morality that humankind can achieve? My hero.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 01:58 pm
@maxdancona,
Can you point out any part of my post that's incorrect? I've merely pointed out what you do. If you think that's being nasty then perhaps you ought to change your behaviour.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:38 pm
@izzythepush,
You haven't said anything. What is your opinion on how the shutdown will end?
revelette1

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:40 pm
@maxdancona,
I think you give too much common sense to republicans. They are not going to break away from Trump in large numbers. Right now to voters they look like they don't have a dog in this fight. Look at the polls, most blame Trump but then the rest blame democrats. Personally I have no clue how it is going to end, if it does.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:45 pm
@revelette1,
So, what is your prediction? Do you think the shutdown lasts indefinitely? Or do you think the Democrats will end up giving in?
revelette1

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:46 pm
@maxdancona,
I have no idea, I don't see an end in sight unless someone majorly gives up totally to the other side.
revelette1

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:52 pm
Are you watching republicans right smearing Democrats on tv as we type? What did Trump offer? I bet it was zilch. Even if he did offer something substantive, he would take it back the next minute.
coldjoint

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 02:57 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
I don't see an end in sight unless someone majorly gives up totally to the other side.

The people may not want a wall but they want our borders secure? How much does it matter how we do it? Time to decide, it has been up in the air since the 50's and never mattered more than now. The only reason to oppose a wall is to keep illegals flowing. And plain stupid in our age of terror.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 03:20 pm
@revelette1,
If I am correct, we will see a cave from the Republicans by the end of next week... possibly combined with the declaration of a National Emergency. Either way there is a CR to open the government again with no money for the wall from Congress.

The only other possibility is a deal involving DACA+TPS in exchange for billions of Wall money.

Either way, the government will re-open by the end of next week. That is my prediction... and you can hold me to it Wink.
revelette1

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 03:30 pm
@maxdancona,
I'll hold you to it, but if the republicans gang-up on Trump and pressure him, I still don't think he will do it unless he thinks his main base will approve. We are depended on conservative news to run our government now.

If Nancy gives in now with nothing to show for it, she would be a fool for holding out this long. I see no good options for anybody.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 03:36 pm
@maxdancona,
I don't know enough about it, we've got enough political drama of our own.

Quote:
Boom! After a humdrum, almost completely unrevealing Prime Minister's Questions, the Commons erupted over Speaker John Bercow's decision to allow an attempt to change the rules for the resumed "meaningful vote" debate.

This is no mere technicality. The amendment proposed by former Attorney General Dominic Grieve would require the government to come back within three days, rather than 21, to debate the implications of not having a Brexit deal - if the prime minister's deal is indeed voted down next Tuesday.

Under the previous rules, that debate would be kicked back to late February, with the Brexit clock ticking remorselessly in the background.

The new Grieve amendment, now passed by MPs, means that in the event the PM loses next week, the Commons will then have a chance to vote on alternative policies - everything from a "managed no-deal" to a further referendum, via a "Norway option" or a reheated version of the current deal, could be on the table.

If a majority could be found for anything, it would not have the force of law - but it would at least indicate a policy which had the support of MPs.

This is, in short, a massive ruling by the Speaker, made, apparently, against the advice of the Commons Clerk, Sir David Natzler.

I don't want to delve too deeply into the arcana of Business of the House motions only amendable by ministers of the Crown, but this drove a coach and horses through accepted normal practice, and will have huge implications for the course of Brexit.

The decisions will come much faster, and potentially, those plotting an alternative course to the PM's would have more space in which to work.

And it may also set a sweeping precedent allowing MPs far more grip over their debates, on Brexit and pretty much anything else.

If such a precedent can be made to stick, it would be a huge blow against any government's accustomed control over the business of the Commons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-parliaments-46810616

This is a domestic American affair, it doesn't concern me so I'm not particularly bothered. Brexit however, could have a huge impact.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Either way, the government will re-open

Border security is a part of the government.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 04:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Rogers right. Big fingers, small keyboard.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 04:31 pm
@coldjoint,
I wish congress would become part of the government and reign in our insane commander in chief before he decides to nuke the border because of the national emergency he will declare.
livinglava

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 06:12 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

I wish congress would become part of the government and reign in our insane commander in chief before he decides to nuke the border because of the national emergency he will declare.

They will probably use at least some small underground charges to collapse tunnels used for trafficking.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 9 Jan, 2019 06:19 pm
@livinglava,
livinglava wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

They will probably use at least some small underground charges to collapse tunnels used for trafficking.

It would solve the problem of kids in cages too.
0 Replies