pretty positive i'm being blown off

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
i know i have been a mess over this situation with this guy, but i'm pretty much ready to move on now. I had talked to him last Tuesday, that was the conversation where he randomly said we were casually dating. It was a good conversation and he said hopefully we'd be able to hang out soon (he's 3 hours away) For the first month that i met him we talked basically everyday. Over xmas he went out of the country and he even called me everyday. Then when he went back to where he lives he told me he couldnt call everyday and hoped i wouldnt be upset-understood. No he is not dating anyone else. I thought maybe we'd talk every other day, but that's not happening. After we talked tues i didnt hear from him, wed, thurs or friday. On satuday i went out, then i got home at 4pm-still no call. I knew he was going to nyc that weekend but how hard is it to call to say hi or at least send a text saying hi. So i sent him a text. I said, hi how are you? He wrote back pretty quick. He said, hi, i'm in nyc, it's snowing here, i'm doing good, hope you r too. I guess i was hoping for a, i'll call you soon. So i write back, that's nice, no snow here yet. He didnt respond. I started to feel frustrated. A few minutes later i wrote back, so i guess we're going to be talking once a week? He writes back, ok. This made me more annoyed. I wrote back, i just dont operate this way. He writes back, ok. At this point i was mad at lack of caring so i wrote back, obviously you dont give a damn, you're probably relieved. No response. then i called him, no answer. I just left a message that said, hi it's liz, give me a call when you get a chance. then i write, ball's in your court if you want to talk, i've put myself out there enough. then i feel like an idiot for what just happened and write, sorry for the thigns i just said, i dont want to be on bad terms with you.

In my mind i pretty much write him off and tell myself he's not worth it, he doesnt care for me the way i care for him and to just let him go, there are other guys out there that will pay more attention and who actually care about my feelings.

so i'm thinking i will never hear from him again or at least for a few weeks, but he calls the next day. I answered and immediately apologized. He basically said that he wasnt sure what had happened or what he had said to upset me. He said, we were exchanging some texts adn all of a sudden i started getting mad ones from you, i was in a cab with other people and i couldnt really get into it. I told him that when he responded, ok, i took this as, whatever. he says, well i guess at the time that is what i meant. he said he was 'indisposed.' I just kind of laughed it off and we changed the subject. We talked for about 20 minutes. he was figuring out how he was going to get home. There was nothing extraordinary about the conversation. he said he just wanted to call me back because he didnt want me festering with anger. He said that if he was there he'd shovel out my car for me (Snowed a lot here). when we hung up he just said, talk to you soon.

I just feel that he is really backing off from me, but doesnt want to be on bad terms. I am so tired of waiting and wondering when he'll call...he confuses me. Casually dating means once or two phone conversations a week? Screw this, I dont need this. It hurts because i think about him all the time, but he is obviously not thinking about me. He only calls if i've texted/called him. i mean he went 3 days with out contacting me, and only responded when i'd texted him. I need more than this.

So what do you think, is he nicely trying to blow me off?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,108 • Replies: 134
No top replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:32 am
I think you are pushing to hard and scaring him away. I get tired just reading about your expectations of him let alone having to live up to them. Give the man some space and time to get comfrtable with you. Quit being so pushy and so demanding. It seems like it is always all or nothing with you and that is going to scare most guys off.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:39 am
Yep.

If he were actually trying to blow you off he had plenty of opportunities that he didn't take. Frankly, the man seems to have the patience of a saint. (Though it is probably to your credit that you convey things impartially enough that this comes through.)

He explained he wouldn't be able to call often a long, long time ago. Why didn't you accept that?

If you want to do something concrete, I'd suggest coming to some sort of agreement on phone calls. Say you want X a week. Set up a time. You call him. Something.

Work out this one thing since it's so much of what bothers you, and go from there.

And of course if he responds to that in a way that you find unacceptable -- that he can't and won't promise to call you more than once a week, or whatever -- break it off and be done with it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:39 am
I think he's figured out the you are more trouble than it's worth. You are right to be moving on, but if I were you I would have a stiff drink and go back and read all of your posts on this relationship so that you can see that this was inevitable. If you want this to stop happening you are going to have to do something different the next time around.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:47 am
Yeah, there's definitely a strong whiff of self-fulfilling prophecy, only unfulfilled so far because this guy has superhuman reserves of patience (and quite likely his own imperfections.) It goes like this.

Girl and Boy meet and like each other. They get along well.

Girl asks, "do you like me?"

Boy says, "sure!"

Girl pauses and says, "am I annoying you?"

Boy says, "nah!"

Girl pauses and says, "but do you like me?"

Boy says, "um, yeah."

Girl pauses and says, "am I irritating you? I'm so worried I'' irritate you."

Boy raises an eyebrow and says, "no, it's fine, really."

Girl pauses and says, "are you seeing anyone else?"

Boy frowns a bit and says, "no."

Girl says, "see, you were mad just now, I know it!!!"

Boy sighs and says, "no I wasn't."

Girl says, "I can tell! You don't like me! You're leading me on! You want to break up!"

Boy laughs ruefully and says, "no, really."

Girl pauses and says, "are you seeing anyone else? You seem distant."

Boy stares at her, and says "I like you just fine!"

Girl says, "Just fine! That's all? You want to break up, I know it."

Boy says, without conviction, "no."

There's a pause.

A longer pause.

Girl says, "yes, but do you LIKE me?"

Boy gets up and walks away.

Do you see that at all?
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 09:50 am
What soz and freeduck said...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 10:36 am
Oh, yeah. I just love it when a woman can tell I'm mad before I know it myself. It's spooky.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
two bits of advice...

1) Relax!! you're driving both of you crazy and
2) Never assume you know the tone or intent when communicating via aim. Do you see how simple it was to clear everything up when you spoke on the phone and were able to hear the tone?

and, yeah I would say casually dating does mean one or two phonecalls a week. If you are looking for something deeper then I think you should, in fact, move on.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:15 am
I've been fairly lucky with women getting the hint.

Guess what I do, if I only want to casually date a girl, is never to establish "boyfriend-like" behavior, and not call more than once or twice a week to begin with. I think too many guys don't do this, then shoot themself in the foot because they're leading the girl on too much. Much easier to drop from one/two calls a week to zero, then every day to zero.

So to answer your question, he's blowing you off, or you were too pushy, or both.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:38 pm
Re: pretty positive i'm being blown off
class241 wrote:
Casually dating means once or two phone conversations a week?

Well, yes, I don't think that's unusual.

You're driving yourself crazy, Class, and him too. I agree with previous posters that, despite what you think, he's been more than patient with you.

I think you've been far too demanding with this guy, asking for more than he's willing to give. I'm kind of surprised he's still around.

Hope you learn someday to loosen up, just have fun, and let other people be themselves.
0 Replies

class241

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:55 pm
re
i'm honestly worried that i'm pregnant. My period ended on like jan 8th, i havent had sex since then, but i've been nauseas, have a headache, backache adn have been eating a lot...i'm scared, but i think it's too early to test.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 12:59 pm
Oh my.

No, you can test. Any number of home pregnancy tests allow you to test at this point.

Quote:
Early Pregnancy Tests offers two varieties of reliable, early-detection pregnancy tests: the pregnancy test strip (the same style of test used in clinics) and the midstream test (the same style sold in drugstores). All pregnancy tests are FDA-Approved and over 99% accurate. Our tests are brand new and offer the maxiumum 2-Year expiration date.

To use the pregnancy test strip, simply fill a container with urine and dip the test strip in the container in a vertical position. Your results appear within five minutes. To use the midstream tests, simply take the cap off the test stick, hold it in your stream of urine for at least 10 seconds, and re-apply the cap. In two to five minutes, you have your results!

Both tests are capable of detecting human chorionic gonadotropin or hCG (a hormone present in women's urine during pregnancy) at levels of just 20 mIU/ml. That means you can begin testing accurately as early as six to eight days after conception - well before your first missed period!

See how the sensitivity of our products match up against other brands. (The lower the number, the higher the sensitivity)

Our Pregnancy Tests!

20 mIU/ml hCG

E.P.T.

40 mIU/ml hCG

ClearBlue Easy

50 mIU/ml hCG

First Response

100 mIU/ml hC

Good luck.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:03 pm
Soz, if only they had these 20+ years ago! Technology really is good for something, even if I CAN'T both perm & color my hair. Or, did they invent that too when I wasn't looking?

And Class, these symptoms can also be signs of stress or depression.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:06 pm
Re: re
class241 wrote:
i'm honestly worried that i'm pregnant. My period ended on like jan 8th, i havent had sex since then, but i've been nauseas, have a headache, backache adn have been eating a lot...i'm scared, but i think it's too early to test.

Sozobe is right. If you haven't had sex since before (or even during) your last period you would be at least 16 days duration which is more than long enough to do a home test. Given a normal 28day cycle you would typically ovulate around day 14 and start your next period around 14 days later. All of the tests Soz listed will detect bHCG by the first missed day or 15 days post ovulation.

Good luck. I hope it all works out.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:13 pm
Re: re
class241 wrote:

Ok, I'm sorry to say it but I totally recognize what is going on here. I seriously hope, for everyone's sake that you are not pregnant. But it looks to me like you're pulling out the final stop. If he doesn't love you now, he's not going to love you because you are pregnant. He's going to feel tricked, trapped, and pissed off. It would not be a good idea to mention to him your feeling that you might be pregnant. It would be a really, really, really bad idea. Take the test and banish the thoughts.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:41 pm
What freeduck said...
0 Replies

class241

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
re
believe me i am not worried that i'm preg for hopes of he'll talk to me, that's ridiculous. I am not even going to tell him about this. If i really were then i would tell him, but i certianly wont be calling him expressing my fears of this. I really hope i'm not. I actually took a tylenol this morning (for my sore back from shoveling) and i thikn that upset my stomach. I feel better now. I hope it's stress....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:34 pm
Class--

First establish facts. Quite a lot depends on whether or not you are pregnant--and juggling the variables for both ways at once is crazy-making.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 03:38 pm
Definitely.

It seems very unlikely if you haven't had sex since your last period, but it doesn't cost much to find out for sure. Do it. If you're stressed now, having this hovering at the back of your mind won't help in the least.
0 Replies

class241

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 09:05 am
re
so you think the best thing to do is NOT contact him whatsoever. If he never calls me again then he's obviously not into me. part of me wants to send him a friendly text this weekend, but i feel that i have put myself out there enough...he did call me on sunday, but i feel that he should be able to contact me on his own without me basically having to remind him. So that's the best way to go right, i should NOT ever contact him again...unless he contacts me first?
0 Replies