SHARE YOUR CITY'S PEACE RALLY HERE.

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 11:11 am
I do too!
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 12:18 pm
ferrous: Welcome to the world of A2K!

Where everyone's opinions are equal......

.....but some are "more equal" than others!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 07:47 pm
This Saturday, March 22, tens or even hundreds of thousands of
us will finally get the opportunity to march for peace in New
York City. The march is fully legal. I've attached a memo
from organizer Leslie Cagan that gives the details, but here's
the basic information:

When: 12 Noon, Saturday March 22
Where: Assembling between 42nd and 36th street on Broadway
More Info: http://www.unitedforpeace.org

I'll be there. I hope you can make it too. If hundreds of
thousands of us take to the streets, we'll send a strong
message that New Yorkers continue to oppose this war.

Sincerely,
--Eli Pariser
International Campaigns Director
MoveOn.org
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 08:22 pm
Quote:
If hundreds of thousands of us take to the streets, we'll send a strong message that New Yorkers continue to oppose this war.

And that will accomplish what, exactly?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:04 pm
trespassers will wrote:
Quote:
If hundreds of thousands of us take to the streets, we'll send a strong message that New Yorkers continue to oppose this war.

It would make it impossible for the US government to solemnly declare it speaks for "the American people".

(Unless you consider NYers not to be real Americans, of course, which I'm sure many Americans do ;-)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 09:08 pm
Yay, I am going to NYC this weekend, thanks for posting, joe! I will surely be there, albeit a Slovak. I will bring a few natives of this land though.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:09 pm
nimh wrote:
trespassers will wrote:
Quote:

It would make it impossible for the US government to solemnly declare it speaks for "the American people".

(Unless you consider NYers not to be real Americans, of course, which I'm sure many Americans do ;-)

So you think "hundreds of thousands" constitutes a numerical majority of US citizens? Um, when was the last time you looked at a census?

The administration knows you don't agree. They are going ahead anyway. You surely have the right to demonstrate more if you want, but the only purpose it can serve is to help you to feel you have power in a situation where you do not.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
I'm attending a rally in the city centre (Melbourne) at 5 pm today. I assume there will be rallies held all over the world to protest the start of the bombing.
Please keep us posted.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:44 pm
Tres, and...? What alternative would you suggest? Sit quietly at home?

I do think there is something to be gained from massive protests -- our standing in the world community. If the world sees how many Americans disagree with Bush, that may help ease tensions down the line, and make interactions between Americans and non-Americans (business, travel) less fraught.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:49 pm
Yes, do protest, and loudly. We shall be doing it here as well. And they will in England and Australia and Belgium and the Netherlands and Mexico and all over the world.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:53 pm
Ya'll be careful up there dag. You don't represent my viewpoint, but neither do lots of other nice people.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2003 10:58 pm
"I do think there is something to be gained from massive protests -- our standing in the world community."

Sozobe, are you on the MoveOn mailing list? Because tonight they have started an INTERNATIONAL campaign for signatures to preserve the United Nations and diplomacy. Given MoveOn's track record, they will get plenty of signers and it will be an impressive effort. It's to be published, I think, Friday. The more American signatures, the better! That's MOVEON.ORG.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:06 am
sozobe wrote:
Tres, and...? What alternative would you suggest? Sit quietly at home?

I do think there is something to be gained from massive protests -- our standing in the world community. If the world sees how many Americans disagree with Bush, that may help ease tensions down the line, and make interactions between Americans and non-Americans (business, travel) less fraught.

sozobe - Again, I support everyone's right to protest whenever and about whatever they choose, but I simply fail to see the purpose of protesting a war the window for preventing which has come and gone and the chance of altering in any way--duration, severity, etc.--is nil. It's just a self-serving gesture at this point. It may feel good, might even be fun, but it won't change anything. And I find it hard to believe that you think the rest of the world--those who are following the news--are unaware that there is a small but vocal minority here who oppose the war. (Or perhaps you're worried that if you don't protest this weekend someone might think you've changed your mind?)
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:16 am
Funny thing is, we've got a large and vocal majority opposed to the war yet we're still there. Makes me wonder who's really running this country.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:19 am
There is every reason to continue protesting, and no good reason to stop. When some dumb palooka starts a dumb fight in a pub, you don't lay off trying to hit him over the head with a frying pan just because he's started swinging.

It has nothing to do with 'feeling good' Tres. It has to do with continuing to speak out, to be heard, to forward ideas and principles which one feels the absence of will be detrimental to the community.

Protests, on-going, during the Viet Nam war were essential to altering policy. Protests work.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 12:37 am
There is a big protest forming in Wollongong right now.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:15 am
;-) dumb palooka made it irreversibly into my vocabulary from now on. roger, thanks. i will try not to step on anyone toes, nor get squished by others in new york. and wilso, my government is just as deaf as yours, so aggravating... i haven't heard of any protests in eastern europe though, must look into that.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:36 am
"It has nothing to do with 'feeling good' Tres. It has to do with continuing to speak out, to be heard, to forward ideas and principles which one feels the absence of will be detrimental to the community."

To put it another way, Blatham, it has to do with being a responsible citizen.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 09:20 am
Tartarin

Yes, responsible citizenship is it exactly. But there are many, some here, who conceive of responsible citizenship as adherence to authority and as unanimity of voice. Disparaging a leader is seen as unpatriotic, particularly during war. Ghenghis Khan wrote a wonderful paper on this very matter.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:38 am
Wilso wrote:
Funny thing is, we've got a large and vocal majority opposed to the war yet we're still there. Makes me wonder who's really running this country.

Men and women who care more for your safety and your future than do you, apparently.
0 Replies