SHARE YOUR CITY'S PEACE RALLY HERE.

msolga

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 05:33 pm
Yesterday I participated in the largest peace/anti-war rally ever held in my city. (Melbourne, Australia).
What a buzz! What a crowd! What sheer relief to be (finally!) given the chance to say no!
Here's a report from a local newspaper describing the event:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/02/14/1044927801876.html

Over the next 7 days similar rallies will be held in places all over the world. So why not send a report of YOUR rally here, so we can all share it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 21,135 • Replies: 404
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:13 pm
New York City tommorrow!!!
100,000 in the streets
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:46 pm
It was on the news here Msolga I thought I saw you in the crowd. I would love to go to a peace rally but alas non are being held here in Texas, none that I know of any way.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 09:57 pm
There's one in Chicago. Seriously considering going. I'm just trying to suss out if there's anything dangerous about it, since I'd be bringing the sozlet.

Joe Nation, I read in the NYT editorial today that there may be 100,000 in the PARK + overflow, but they won't be allowed to march. That sucks.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Fri 14 Feb, 2003 11:30 pm
Cool msolga :-)
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:39 am
They are having a peace march here in my city tomorrow, in which people who support Bush's stance on Iraq will march to voice their belief that removing Saddam will promote lasting peace.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:40 am
sozobe

There were a lot of children at yesterday's rally. The train into the city was full of children with their parents (no one was silly enough to attempt to come & go by car! - major traffic jams predicted).
I can understand your concerns about taking the wee sozlet .... It was so packed yesterday that it took an hour for most of us to begin marching after the intitial speeches. That's what happens when between 100 thousand & 200 thousand people congregate in one place. Most of the parents held their children, or sat them on their shoulders ... I imagine that was pretty hard work! Still, I hope you can make it. If not, post the reports here. I'm hoping to hear of mucho activity, world wide! Very Happy

Joanne

Yep, that was me you saw! Laughing

Joe Nation

Can't wait to see what happens in NYC! Make sure you send us all some info.!

gezzy

.. And such a blessed relief to finally be able to say NO!
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:42 am
Joe Nation wrote:
New York City tommorrow!!!
100,000 in the streets

Seems like at least 100,000 people are in the streets on any day in NYC, even a slow day.

Where I live they are having marches both for those who are for and those who are against Bush on Iraq tomorrow. What I would love is for the groups to get in each others' faces and have one of the "peace" marchers punch one of the Bush supporters in the nose. That would just be so cool, and "ironical". :wink:
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 01:44 am
tresspassers will

Oh, that sounds a bit frightening! Are you going? If so, good luck! Very Happy
Keep us all posted on what happens, OK?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:22 am
Ours is tomorrow (Sunday) 12.00 midday local time - I hope it is HUUUUUUUGE! I will wave for the cameras.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:29 am
dlowan

Very Happy
I will watch out for you on the news tomorrow & wave back!!!

More Oz rallies:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/030215/2/qdgc.html

~
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:37 am
dlowan

p.s. ....I hope it's HUGE, too!
GO ADELAIDE!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 02:59 am
JD Texas events ! Dallas today!

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/calendar.php?area=45

TW: These will be 100,000 people of the same mind. Wait a minute, you're right! At 12 noon on any weekday, 7,000,000 New Yorkers have the same thought. They all go to the Pick a Bagel near my work and stand on line in front of me, ordering complicated lunches. Very Happy
Having said that, I hope you were trying to be ironic in you "I hope" remarks, if you weren't, it wasn't funny and it was certainly beneath you.

peace. Still possible.

Joe Nation
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:03 am
Events everywhere. Put in your state and click GO

http://www.unitedforpeace.org/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:12 am
Thanks, Joe Nation!
How good to hear that it really IS happening, all over the place!
Keep us posted.
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:25 am
I have always been a big fan of peas...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 03:26 am
Don't forget the hominy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:02 am
Anon was right about the causes of the war.
0 Replies

Stinger

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:39 am
To paraphrase Dudley Moore in a scene from the film 'Arthur', my country is so small, they had it carpeted. So there is unlikely to be a huge crowd here, in comparison to other places in the world. But here are a couple of links, that may be of interest to you.

Thousands set for NI peace rally
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/2764997.stm

Anti-war protesters take to streets
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2765041.stm

The doubts, uncertainties and suspicions that Joe Public has in this part of the world, regarding a potential war in Iraq, is perhaps partly a symptom of their general cynicism of present day politics and politicians. But on the plus side, the situation in Iraq and the doubts about it's validity, could be a rallying point for people, who have grown apathetic about politics. A spark that could ignite a desire to remind politicians, that they work for us, and are answerable to us.

Well.....I can always dream!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sat 15 Feb, 2003 06:56 am
There's a peace march today in Amsterdam. 50,000 people are expected. That's pretty big for a demo that's not supported by any of the major parties nor by the main trade unions. It'll be a mix of anti-militarists, anti-globalists, Dutch Muslims and the Christian peace movement, but even for those together 50,000 would be a success. But of course nothing quite like the 600,000-1,000,000 who demonstrated against the cruise missiles in the Eighties.

Elsewhere in Europe turnout will be much higher. London, Barcelona and Rome - not coincidentally, perhaps, in the countries whose governments have supported Bush jr., turnout is expected at 500,000. Together with the polls showing overwhelming majorities against a war without UN backing in those countries that should be enough to belie the American cliche that "Britain, Spain, Italy are with us", as I heard another WashingtonPost "expert" "explain" on CNN the other day.

(A Gallup poll some two weeks ago had 68-79% of those polled in these 3 countries against war without UN mandate. In Spain 43% was even against war with UN mandate. Yesterday's paper quoted much more negative polls still: 85-90% in all of those 3 countries against a war without mandate, and even with mandate 75% of the Spanish, 71% of the Italians and 45% of the Brits would be against).
0 Replies