Why I left the Democratic Party

maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 05:07 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
It will change whether or not those justices get confirmed and allowed to serve on the court.

The Democrats might succeed in blocking a few nominees, but most will be confirmed, and all will uphold the Second Amendment.

Not if they take McConnell's approach.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 05:21 pm
Kentucky is an interesting state. Lots of demographic changes. It's not 100% white anymore. Lots of young/new voters coming up in the Hispanic community in the cities and towns to add to the black voters. Could be enough to make things a bit wobblier than it once was.

A few groups have already started targeting McConnell and his votes.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 05:28 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'd think the Democrats would eventually learn that when they pull crap like that, that the Republicans will turn around and do it back to them.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 05:37 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth by the Republicans if the Democrats behave as the Republicans have.
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:03 pm
@oralloy,
They would be doing the same thing Republicans did to them....do you believe that the republicans wouldn’t do it again, regardless of what the Democrats may do if they gain control.

Norm broken, and your party did it.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:18 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I can just imagine the gnashing of teeth by the Republicans if the Democrats behave as the Republicans have.

You don't need to imagine. The Democrats have behaved that way. All the Republicans have done is give the Democrats a good dose of their own medicine.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:19 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
They would be doing the same thing Republicans did to them....

You have that backwards. The Republicans are doing the same thing that the Democrats did to them.

maporsche wrote:
do you believe that the republicans wouldn’t do it again, regardless of what the Democrats may do if they gain control.

I don't know. Right now the two parties are even.

And usually it's the Democrats who start the fight and the Republicans who finish it.

But maybe given the opportunity the Republicans will give the Democrats another dose of their own medicine. It certainly looks like the Democrats haven't learned their lesson yet.

maporsche wrote:
Norm broken, and your party did it.

I know. And afterwards the Republicans gave them a large dose of their own medicine.

I warned them back in 2006 that if they pulled this crap the Republicans would turn around and do it back to them. No one listened to my warnings then either.

Maybe the Democrats just like to lose.
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:42 pm
@oralloy,
You're so mixed up. #goodluck
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:11 pm
@maporsche,
Except I'm not mixed up. The Democrats really did start the last fight. And if they start the next one, that will be on them as well.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 08:56 pm
@maporsche,
Who "Borked" first? It all flowed from there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 04:58 am
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 07:47 am
Quote:
Bernie Sanders’ Economic Inequality Town Hall Draws 1.7 Million Live Viewers

By Daniel Marans, HP, 03/20/2018

WASHINGTON ― Sen. Bernie Sanders’ televised town hall on economic inequality drew about 1.7 million live viewers during an online broadcast Monday night.

The panel-discussion-style event, called “Inequality in America: The Rise of Oligarchy and Collapse of the Middle Class,” exceeded the viewership of Sanders’ first live town hall on single-payer health care in January.

The broadcast provided the Vermont independent with an opportunity to expand his new alternative media revue beyond “Medicare for all” to the broader issue of economic inequality, which he maintains that commercial media outlets frequently ignore.

“What I would say to our friends in the corporate media: Start paying attention to the reality of how many people in our country are struggling economically every single day ― and talk about it,” Sanders declared at one point during the discussion.

Not content to wait for the cable television channels and newspapers to take him up on his advice, Sanders partnered with The Guardian, The Young Turks, NowThis and Act.tv to do just that for about an hour and a half on Monday night.

Three co-hosts aided Sanders in his efforts: Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), New School economist Darrick Hamilton and filmmaker Michael Moore.

More:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ab08fb6e4b0e862383ab6b4
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:34 am
I voted in Illinois' democratic primary today. Major candidates whom I voted for:

Governor
Daniel Biss & Litesa Wallace (endorsed by Our Revolution)

U.S. Representative 5th District
Sameena Mustafa (strong progressive, and possibly first Muslim woman in congress)
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:45 am
Apparently there is a growing support among the GOP worried about midterms to include in the spending bill Obamacare stabilization. However, some republicans are insisting on putting in there limits to pay for abortions except in the case of incest, rape and the state of the mother's health. Democrats are opposed to any more abortion limitations. I am not sure how I feel about that.

Support for Obamacare stabilization but abortion language unresolved

Lawmakers await bill to advert shutdown
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:48 am
@revelette1,
Not sure how you feel about which part? Trading one for the other?
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 09:55 am
@maporsche,
Not sure how I feel about democrats holding out because abortion limitations was included in the bill to shore up Obamacare. On the one hand, republicans know they got to do something or around mid-terms a lot of people are going to be without insurance so there is room to hold out but on the other hand, that is where I am not sure. Legally, right now women have the right to choose abortion if they feel it is right for them and it seems to me republicans are trying to circumvent that law any way they can. On the other hand, I am against abortion except in those circumstances listed and also, I want to shore up obamacare.
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:31 am
@revelette1,
Thanks.

This is the essence of government. Compromise and not everyone getting everything they want. I know you understand this, but you need to decide what is of greater importance to you. Also, probably worth considering what the next congress can/will do if Democrats gain control.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:35 am
@revelette1,
Every thing they give in on will lead to giving in still more down the road, if the past events are an indication.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 10:50 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Every thing they give in on will lead to giving in still more down the road, if the past events are an indication.

You are correct. In recent years Democrats have often compromise too much while at the same time Republicans rarely ever compromised. There are times the democrats should compromise, but there are also times the democrats should stand there grounds and say no. When negotiating, the democrats need to learn how to start out asking for everything they want and then start the compromising of what they are willing to give up. In recent years the democrats have shown they are willing to give up too much before negating have even started.

It's like buying a car. I tell the car salesman how much I am willing to spend. That amount will be super low. I know that I am willing to spend more. Only I know how high I will go to buy the car. I don't want the dealership to know how high I will go. I also know what is too high and when to walk away from the deal. Let the negotiation begin.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:04 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Compromise and not everyone getting everything they want. I know you understand this, but you need to decide what is of greater importance to you.

That is the most important part of negotiating and compromising.