Why I left the Democratic Party

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:11 am
@Real Music,
When you constantly give away the store it is not compromising or even negotiating.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:17 am
@edgarblythe,
In that particular aspect, I agree.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 11:46 am
@edgarblythe,
What would think if the Democratic party started aggressively fighting the Republican party to pass into law single-payer (Medicare for all)? In other words, the democrats fighting for everything they want. And when all the smoke has cleared and all the compromising and negotiating was done, the democrats fall short of passing Single-payer. But, because the democrats started their negotiation with single-payer, both parties ended up agreeing to passing into law a Public Option.

I use this hypothetical example showing that the democrats should start out asking for everything they want and then start the negotiating and compromising.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
When you constantly give away the store it is not compromising or even negotiating.

You are correct. I have noticed that in recent years the republican party seem to always ask for what they want, regardless to whether or not they can get it. On the other hand the democrats seem to never ask for what they want. The democrats only ask for what they think the republicans might agree to. So, yes you are correct. The democrats in recent years have proven to be inadequate and clumsy when it comes to negotiating. Basic negotiating 101. Always start out asking for everything you want. In some cases start out asking for more than what you want. Of course they won't get everything they want. But, this is how the democrats should be negotiating. My party, the democrats do need to show that they have some fight in them.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:22 pm
@Real Music,
I think they should set a true progressive agenda and fight for it every day, regardless of who controls the congress and presidency. To crawl away like whipped dogs doesn't cut it with me.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
I agree.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
Former congressman Barney Frank had a lot of fight in him. Elizabeth Warren has a lot of fight in her. Bernie Sanders have a lot of fight in him. There are others who also have a lot of fight in them.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:32 pm
@Real Music,
I think what your missing is that there isn't a republican who would tell you that they're getting everything they want in government. It's not republicans getting 100% of what they want and Democrats getting 0%.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:34 pm
I don't oppose compromising. I don't oppose negotiating. Compromising and negotiating is important. I do want my party, the democrats to show more backbone.
revelette1

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:34 pm
@edgarblythe,
That is my inclination too. However, most of the time I find myself taking whatever our side gets and making the most of it. I don't see why we always have to give in. But I am not sure this one issue of abortion is worth more than the issue of immigration or better background checks.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:36 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

I also want my party, the democrats to show more backbone.

Says everybody, in both parties, all the time.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:48 pm
How about Dreamers?
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 12:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

How about Dreamers?

"To be fair, it was Donald Trump [Republican] who took away the protection from young kids who were brought into the country when they were just underage children." - Cenk Uygur

That's in the first 15 seconds of the video.

THAT is why I will be voting for the Democrats in any position that I can. THAT is why you should too.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 01:03 pm
@maporsche,
Quote:
"To be fair, it was Donald Trump [Republican] who took away the protection from young kids who were brought into the country when they were just underage children." - Cenk Uygur

THAT is why I will be voting for the Democrats in any position that I can. THAT is why you should too.

Anyone who cares about the Dreamers will be voting democrats. I know I sure will.
oralloy

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 01:04 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I voted in Illinois' democratic primary today. Major candidates whom I voted for:

Just out of curiosity, do you know who JB is?

When I was in Chicago Saturday someone gave me a "JB for governor" sticker.
maporsche

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 01:08 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
I voted in Illinois' democratic primary today. Major candidates whom I voted for:

Just out of curiosity, do you know who JB is?

When I was in Chicago Saturday someone gave me a "JB for governor" sticker.

https://www.jbpritzker.com/

JB Pritzker. Super wealthy dude who'll probably be the Democratic nominee after the polls close today.

He'd be just fine in my book, but I wanted to show support for the far left here in Illinois. The more numbers for Biss (the Sanders candidate) hopefully the more support the Democrats see to go a bit further left (public option healthcare being very important to me).

I'll vote for any of the Democratic governor candidates in November.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 02:29 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
that the democrats should start out asking for everything they want and then start the negotiating and compromising.

all politicians should

I've often felt that modern Democrats start near the middle to show how reasonable they are. well, that doesn't really work well on achieving goals. it's some kind of misguided view that they will get brownie points/votes for being more polite than Republicans. uh. no.
Real Music

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 03:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I've often felt that modern Democrats start near the middle to show how reasonable they are. well, that doesn't really work well on achieving goals. it's some kind of misguided view that they will get brownie points/votes for being more polite than Republicans. uh. no.

I couldn't have said it any better.
Also when the democrats start in the middle, the republicans almost always see that as weakness
and end up pulling the democrats even further to the right.
The democrats in recent years have allowed the republicans to bully them.
The republicans do not respond well to being reasonable and polite.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 20 Mar, 2018 04:54 pm
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:

Quote:

Anyone who cares about the Dreamers will be voting democrats. I know I sure will.

The rest of the video shows many Democrats essentially okay with that.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
@Real Music,
Then you couldn't have said it any better than countless Republicans who have said the same thing about their party.

0 Replies