0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Sun 18 Mar, 2018 01:55 pm
@Real Music,
Exactly!
revelette1

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:51 am
@maporsche,
I understand what ya'll are saying, I simply disagree. Usually, people vote with their convictions and some of these moderate democrats in these republican states may as well be republican in some respects, not all of them. Lamb has redeeming qualities with his labor views. But that other guy I just looked up, he hardly has any at all except he seems to be in favor of environmentalist isses over just profit.

Say there is an important bill coming up if we are so fortunate as to get the majority in either the house or the senate or both on reversing some of the tax cuts which just passed and putting more tax cuts geared towards the middle class. Say we have a slim majoritity and all the republicans vote no, we would need every one of the members of the democrat senators and representatives in order to pass said bill. We could potentially lose the votes needed to pass the bill by those moderates in those republican states and the bill would fail. Why is that hard to see?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 06:55 am
As some of us have been pointing out, just enough Democrats accept bribe money to help Republican agenda succeed and have been doing it for years.
revelette1

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, I don't really go all in for vague conspiracy theories.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 07:01 am
@revelette1,
Neither do I.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:17 am
@revelette1,
Couple things.

1) we will likely only get the majority by backing some of these moderates. If you don’t back them or they don’t win then there is no majority and you don’t get to have this discussion go any further.

2) there were moderates when Obamacare was passed. That was a hugely positive step in the right direction even though no one got everything they wanted.

3) Dodd-Frank was also passed with moderates in the Democratic Party.

4) There will never be 60 Bernie Sanders-types elected. Compromise is a must in government.

5) You also have to understand that even if candidate X was against abortion, if the majority of the party is pro-choice then candidate X will never even get the chance to cast a vote on any abortion related bill. The majority party sets the legislative agenda. Minority viewpoints within a party barely get any airtime. Just ask Rand Paul.
revelette1

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 10:52 am
@maporsche,
Ok. Lamb has said he is not in favor of any new gun laws. Say a bill comes up in the house and then senate and it comes down to the wire, Lamb votes no, we lose. What good did he do in such a situation? Wouldn't it be better to support a less moderate democrats and put the full force of a campaign behind it and persuade those voters of the democrat viewpoint so they would vote for a less moderate democrats in those conservative states. Some of those states are becoming less conservative all the time. Which is why the republicans are doing all they can suppress votes.
oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 11:04 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Ok. Lamb has said he is not in favor of any new gun laws. Say a bill comes up in the house and then senate and it comes down to the wire, Lamb votes no, we lose. What good did he do in such a situation?

If the Democrats want the majority, they are going to have to give up their dream of violating our civil rights for no reason.

revelette1 wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to support a less moderate democrats and put the full force of a campaign behind it and persuade those voters of the democrat viewpoint so they would vote for a less moderate democrats in those conservative states. Some of those states are becoming less conservative all the time. Which is why the republicans are doing all they can suppress votes.

We're not going to be voting for any Constitution-hating Democrats out here in the red districts. If you want our votes, you're going to have to run people like Lamb.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 11:53 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to support a less moderate democrats and put the full force of a campaign behind it and persuade those voters of the democrat viewpoint so they would vote for a less moderate democrats in those conservative states.

Yes! Absolutely Yes!
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 12:03 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
Wouldn't it be better to support a less moderate democrats and put the full force of a campaign behind it and persuade those voters of the democrat viewpoint so they would vote for a less moderate democrats in those conservative states.

Yes! Absolutely Yes!

Lol. How does the wool feel?
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 12:07 pm
@revelette1,
If it comes down to Lamb’s one single vote, and he holds up to the massive pressure nationwide put on his shoulders and he won’t budge? Hen you adjust the bill to be something he would vote on. You compromise and get something.

Or you get 61 senators elected and Lamb won’t matter.

Or you do something to get some Republicans on the bill. At least 6 of them have come out in favor of some common sense gun laws.

If you put Bernie Sanders in West Virginia, you successfully allow a Republican to run virtually unopposed. Then you get what we have now, which is not a win in your book or mine.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
@revelette1,
Or worst case scenario, you don’t get a gun regulation bill

You also don’t get a bill that will allow nationwide concealed carry. You also don’t get Supreme Court justices that believe the 2nd amendment is unlimited.

You also get the chance to fight another day. Maybe another shooting happen and Lamb changes his mind.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 12:11 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
Wouldn't it be better to support a less moderate democrats and put the full force of a campaign behind it

that will work in some districts, not in others

hopefully, the number crunchers will do a good job of sorting out where less moderate democrats can get past the 20 pt lead Trump had

they seem to have done a decent enough job of it so far - balancing how far toward the left/centre the candidates can be
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 02:37 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
You also don’t get Supreme Court justices that believe the 2nd amendment is unlimited.

Hold on here. Republican justices all believe that the Second Amendment is limited, just as all the other rights are limited.

If you hear nonsense about "unlimited rights" that is just gibberish that the Freedom Haters promulgate because they have no real arguments to justify their civil rights violations.

The difference between Republican justices and Democratic justices is, Democratic justices believe that the Second Amendment should not be enforced at all.

Anyway, so long as Trump is president, he will nominate judges and justices who believe that the Constitution should be enforced. Having more Democratic senators will not change that.
revelette1

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 03:25 pm
@maporsche,
I understand, and acknowledge ehbeth's point. It will just be hard accepting some of these moderates who might have views I strongly disagree with despite of the practicalities of it. Doubt it will come up where I am from, the democrat who ran in KY was pretty main stream democrat; she lost. Wink
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 04:01 pm
@oralloy,
It will change whether or not those justices get confirmed and allowed to serve on the court.
maporsche

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 04:03 pm
@revelette1,
Well I hope we can argue these points next year.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 04:08 pm
@revelette1,
Since they won't be representing you, there's no issue of whether or not you accept them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 19 Mar, 2018 04:53 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
It will change whether or not those justices get confirmed and allowed to serve on the court.

The Democrats might succeed in blocking a few nominees, but most will be confirmed, and all will uphold the Second Amendment.