Why I left the Democratic Party

oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 11:09 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Agreed. This unexpected slap at the NRA is a nice signpost during our hopefully brief sojourn in bizarro land.

You're letting yourself be manipulated by both sides. As long as you are willing to be manipulated by the good guys too, I guess it isn't so bad.

But far better to not be manipulated at all in my view.
Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 11:49 am
@oralloy,
I’m calling my own shots.

I would fight against draconian gun laws just as stridently as I fight careless gun laws.

There is a sensible dot on that continuum. We should be a hell of a lot closer to it by now.

This ridiculous posturing can be be compared to the abortion lobby.

Planned Parenthood loses my support when they try to push for laws so they can abort my grandchild from the body of my minor daughter without notifying me. The school can’t legally give her a pill for her headache, but you can perform a major medical procedure?

There is a sensible dot on that line, too.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 12:13 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I’m calling my own shots.

You're letting the gun banners manipulate you into thinking the NRA is against policies that they actually support, and you're letting Trump manipulate you into thinking that he is standing up to the NRA.
Lash

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 12:51 pm
@oralloy,
Dude.

I hear the words coming out of the NRA’s mouthpiece. That’s all I need to hear.
oralloy

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 01:33 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I hear the words coming out of the NRA’s mouthpiece. That’s all I need to hear.

I'd think finding out facts would be of prime importance.

What words are you taking about, and what is your objection to these words?

If this "mouthpiece" is telling the truth, I'd say they were being reasonable.

I recall a day or so ago someone posted an article condemning an NRA spokeswoman for stating facts in the face of lies. It was a pretty silly article.
camlok

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2018 01:38 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I'd think finding out facts would be of prime importance.

You must never be able to converse with those around you, oralloy, because you always have your foot in your mouth.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 04:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I don't really believe this poll, but it still is a move in the right direction.

Mike Collier (Facebook post)

GALLOP & CNN SAY TEXAS IN NO LONGER SOLIDLY REPUBLICAN

Hey Texas GOP & Dan Patrick, that dog just won’t hunt anymore - not in Texas.

Texas Republicans have spent two decades raising property taxes, underfunding schools and roads, encroaching on local control, betraying our Texas values of compassion and civility - Texans have had ENOUGH.

All across the state, there is a movement building of Texans who are taking a stand against the politics of corruption and inaction. We will vote and our voice will be heard this November.

I have seen just one TV ad for a Democrat. Certain Republicans advertise all day long and all brag about their ties to Trump. No fear of such polls.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 04:51 pm
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:02 pm
@edgarblythe,
do you follow Beto O'Rourke? I've been watching him since a mother jones piece in the autumn. I'm very curious to see how far he gets.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
He is doing as well as can be expected in Texas. Cruz is truly a crazy man, but I have heard people I know say that Cruz could well be the savior of our nation. My next door neighbor told me he is her favorite politician. I just replied "I think he's crazy" and we haven't discussed politics since then. Cruz, like Trump, defies logic in every way possible. And I don't see him losing this election.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:19 pm
found it - long but interesting with some good chart stuff

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/09/beto-orourke-democrats-texas-ted-cruz/

https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/425-20170922-texassidebar1.png

https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/425-20170922-texassidebar2.png

I think this article was when I first twigged to the real demographic changes happening in Texas.

https://www.motherjones.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/425-20170922-texassidebar3.png

Quote:
If Democrats can compete in Texas, they can make it anywhere, but if Texas Republicans can hold on in the face of those demographic and cultural shifts, they’ll have produced a blueprint that other similarly changing states can follow. “As goes Texas, so goes America,” Abbott told Texans in his inaugural address two years ago. As they gear up for 2018, the one thing Texas Democrats and Republicans still agree on is that they are the vanguard of the future. But just what kind of future will it be?

yeah

that's a long online read

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 05:25 pm
http://www.buckscountycouriertimes.com/opinion/20180301/on-road-with-rick-holmes-flipping-texas

Quote:
Long shot, say the political insiders, because a Democrat hasn’t won statewide office in Texas since 1994. Because top Democrats in Washington have too many incumbents to defend and can’t afford to give money to candidates who don’t have a chance. And because Texas is a red state, and the demographic wave isn’t projected to turn it blue until 2024, or 2030.

Don’t tell that to the hundreds of voters who crowded into the grounds of a meeting hall in this Austin suburb on a recent Sunday afternoon. Like Democrats all over the country – especially women, especially in the suburbs – they are fired up over guns, racism, women’s rights and Trump, and they are all-in for Beto.

And don’t tell O’Rourke he can’t win. He’s running a frenetic campaign that feels like it’s catching fire. He raised nearly three times as much money as Cruz in the first reporting period of the year and CNN just moved the Texas race from “solid GOP” to “likely GOP.” As for the national Democratic establishment, O’Rourke isn’t listening. He doesn’t take PAC money, and he hasn’t hired outside consultants or pollsters.

Quote:
He’s also old-style. He wants to meet voters face-to-face. O’Rourke has already visited 223 out of state’s 254 counties and promises to hit every county before November. Cruz hasn’t done that, O’Rourke notes, though Cruz has promised to visit every one of Iowa’s 99 counties.

That’s not what most party establishment consultants would recommend. Their playbook calls for micro-targeting demographic groups. They frown on lawn signs because they are too broad-brushed. They put their trust in algorithms, not door-knocking. They put resources into getting out the base in places they’ll win rather than strengthening the grassroots in places where they are far behind.

That kind of thinking is one of many problems with our red state/blue state political shorthand. It intensifies tribalism, implying that individuals must be one or the other. It oversimplifies political geography. Texas is typically deep red on the national maps, but its cities – Houston, Dallas and Austin – vote reliably Democratic, as does most of the poor and heavily Hispanic Rio Grande Valley. Its rural counties vote Republican, but it’s not unanimous even there, which is why O’Rourke visits even the most conservative towns to share his thoughts and listen to theirs.

The red state/blue state shorthand implies a permanence to political attitudes that are always changing. It devalues voters whose parties are in the minority. Thanks to the winner-take-all Electoral College, their votes don’t count. A conservative Republican in Massachusetts – or a liberal Democrat in Texas – might as well stay home on Election Day.

In Texas, they often do. The state consistently ranks near the bottom in voter participation. “Texas isn’t a red state or a blue state,” O’Rourke says, “it’s a nonvoting state.”

That’s another problem with the red/blue model: It hides the people who don’t vote. Will a blue wave wash over Texas in November? Watch the turnout in the state’s party primaries March 6.

he's an interesting guy
maporsche

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 06:22 pm
@edgarblythe,
This Young Turk crap is a joke
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 07:24 pm
@ehBeth,
just started following him on twitter

he sure covers a lot of territory
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 07:33 pm
I voted for him in the primary.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 2 Mar, 2018 07:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
He went to every little town.

I saw he was in Nacogdoches - where one of my favourite old-time abuzzers lived.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 03:04 am
DCCC shoots self in foot over Moser and other strong arm tactics.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/powerpost/wp/2018/03/02/democratic-group-faces-backlash-after-intervening-in-crowded-house-primaries/?utm_term=.0ed8bd31cd7f&__twitter_impression=true

A black Democratic candidate for Congress in Pennsylvania is accusing the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee of undermining his campaign and trying to nudge him out of the race in favor of white candidates.

A Republican super PAC’s poll in Texas has found a Democrat surging after the DCCC published opposition research about her campaign.

Across the country, tensions are boiling over between party activists and the Washington-based committees that usually shape midterm campaigns — with insurgent candidates seeing advantages in attacking the so-called “establishment,” and anticipating little harm when the party comes after them.

In Texas, the Congressional Leadership Fund, a super PAC associated with House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.), found Houston-area congressional candidate Laura Moser moving up after the DCCC published a short, sharp opposition research document on her last week. According to the poll, conducted with 726 “likely Democratic primary voters,” Moser has moved from sixth to second place since January, which would secure her a place in the May runoff — exactly what the DCCC had tried to prevent.
maporsche

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 08:28 am
@Lash,
Let me know Lash when this "progressive takeover" of the Democratic party begins to actually accomplish something.
camlok

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 08:45 am
@maporsche,
Quote:
Let me know Lash when this "progressive takeover" of the Democratic party begins to actually accomplish something.

It might if the government of the people, by the people, for the people [TM propaganda] got off their lazy asses and actually did something instead of simply whining on a discussion forum.
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Sat 3 Mar, 2018 09:41 am
@maporsche,
On a superficial level I find the young turk off putting. He talks too fast and abrasive for my liking.

Howard Dean may have made more of big deal of it than it deserved, but it was hard to tell unless you knew about the subject in the first place and read what Howard Dean had to say about it, which I didn't.

From what I could get out of the quotes on the video; it was a simple election rule violation, it seems Bernie Sanders paid a fine for it and to me, it seems as simple as that.

It is a simple rule and anyone can learn it simply by looking it up. Seems the Sander's camp didn't pay attention to all the rules. Not a big deal, Sander's paid the fine and it is over.

Foreign nationals are prohibited from contributions to candidates, contributions include, funds, goods and services.

Who can and can’t contribute

0 Replies