Why I left the Democratic Party

layman

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 05:53 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:

From that point on, their own subjective and unfounded interpretation becomes the FACT, which they reiterate 24/7, in a manner which suggests that it was it what was ACTUALLY said.

This continues, step-by-step, day after day, one piece at a time, until they are promoting a completely false narrative which, they, and most of their viewers, have come to accept as established fact. They will all nod their heads in solemn agreement when one of them says something, like:

"Looky here. We all KNOW exactly who and what Trump is. He is an admitted racist and white supremacist who thinks Mexicans are rapists, hates all muslims and even insults muslim citizens whose son has been killed in war, who has admitted committing sexual assault, who hates women, gays, blacks, every other non-white person, who mocks the disabled, and who is certifiably insane."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 05:58 pm
@layman,
I place Vanessa well to the left.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 06:04 pm
@revelette1,
You embrace tribalism when you identify with a group so completely that you can't view them independently. You may be a registered Democrat who votes Democrat 100% of the time but you are not a member of the Democrat's ruling elite. They don't want you there with them making political decisions any more than the GOP ruling elite wants me within their inner circle.

You had nothing to do with Schummer's Shutdown Folly and you will have nothing to do with his next political move unless you are one of many shrill voices screaming at him to do this or that. Chuck responds to that, but it's hardly a matter of taking your counsel.

0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 09:45 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
I'm talking about AP and Reuters, which I assume you are too.

The chart lists four: AP, Reuters, AFP, and Bloomberg.

I've used AP, Reuters, and AFP for breaking news links before. I'm not too familiar with Bloomberg.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 03:20 am
@layman,
FAUX News is a lie machine, and nothing else. They invent the news they report. It's cheaper to invent it than to actually work to uncover the truth, I guess. They should not even be on this chart. They're not in the news business.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 03:28 am
@Olivier5,
That isn't true. They do lots of factual reporting. Sometimes they get things right that no one else in the media does.
Real Music

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 04:57 am
@oralloy,
Fox News lies almost as much as Donald Trump.
Real Music

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 05:36 am
@hightor,
Quote:
Actually I think their penchant for ignoring stories that conservatives don't want to hear about might be more like it.

I agree with you completely. Fox News is constantly guilty of this practice.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 06:47 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
Fox News lies almost as much as Donald Trump.

Nonsense.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 06:49 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
I agree with you completely. Fox News is constantly guilty of this practice.

That isn't true either. What Fox does is report things that liberals don't want to hear. And liberals refer to the truth as a lie whenever it's something that they don't want to hear.
hightor

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 07:07 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
What Fox does is report things that liberals don't want to hear.

No. What Fox does is attempt in every instance to report things in a way which is objectionable to people who don't subscribe to the contemporary conservative/tea party/Trump/NRA mindset. It's similar to the old glass half full/half empty technique.
Quote:
And liberals refer to the truth as a lie whenever it's something that they don't want to hear.

Not at a rate exceeding that of conservatives or any other group of politically-motivated people. Accusations from any quarter are often denounced as lies; it's a common defensive tactic.
oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:08 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
No. What Fox does is attempt in every instance to report things in a way which is objectionable to people who don't subscribe to the contemporary conservative/tea party/Trump/NRA mindset.

If people who reject this mindset dislike hearing something, is that Fox's fault?

BTW, the NRA mindset is merely that it is bad to violate people's civil rights. If someone doesn't share the NRA's mindset, that makes them a bad person.

hightor wrote:
Not at a rate exceeding that of conservatives or any other group of politically-motivated people. Accusations from any quarter are often denounced as lies; it's a common defensive tactic.

I tend to hear it from the left. But perhaps there are also liberals who hear the same sort of thing from conservatives.
hightor

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 08:24 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
If people who reject this mindset dislike hearing something, is that Fox's fault?

Well, there's no law against it. It just seems disingenuous for the broadcaster to claim to be "fair and balanced" then give extensive coverage to every Weinsteinian transgression by a Democrat and then downplay the Wynn story or steer clear of any mention of similar behavior by Trump.

I don't watch network news. But the few times I've been subjected to Fox, I couldn't help noticing the almost gleeful exuberance the anchors will evince at times when they think they've landed a good hard right on some liberal's chin. I could almost picture them high-fiving each other — it all seems very non-professional.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:30 am
@hightor,
The news anchors or the opinion show hosts.

There is a difference.
hightor

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Ah, good point. I'll have to watch it more often then. What I see are usually clips on YouTube, which, having been purposely selected, may not fairly represent the tenor of the network as a whole.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 10:58 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
The news anchors or the opinion show hosts.
There is a difference.

The opinion show hosts set the tenor for Fox "News", Finn. You know this.

The "news" is in one ear and out the other for the vast vast majority of Americans. You know this too.

There is NOT one piece of actual evidence that shows the US fable about 911 has any accuracy/truth/validity yet what does the vast vast majority of Americans believe. There is voluminous evidence that proves conclusively that the US government story is not only false, it is IMPOSSIBLE.

Molten/vaporized WTC 7 steel by itself proves the US story impossible. There was no legitimate/legal fuel described by the US government story that can account for it. Jet fuel and office furnishing burn 1000 degrees F cooler than the melting point of steel and 3,500 degrees F below the vaporization point of steel.
layman

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 11:11 am
@camlok,
Well, I guess he just told you, eh, Finn?
Real Music

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:37 pm
Should Fox News be considered an opinions network rather than a news network?

http://www.debate.org/opinions/should-fox-news-be-considered-an-opinions-network-rather-than-a-news-network#!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 12:40 pm
Why there is any discussion of Fox as a news organization or not is ridiculous. It is just a propaganda machine. Mainstream news is generally pretty shaky, but Fox is off in the netherworld.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2018 04:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Well, there's no law against it. It just seems disingenuous for the broadcaster to claim to be "fair and balanced" then give extensive coverage to every Weinsteinian transgression by a Democrat and then downplay the Wynn story or steer clear of any mention of similar behavior by Trump.

I don't watch network news. But the few times I've been subjected to Fox, I couldn't help noticing the almost gleeful exuberance the anchors will evince at times when they think they've landed a good hard right on some liberal's chin. I could almost picture them high-fiving each other — it all seems very non-professional.

There is a difference between being partisan and being untruthful.

You're accusing Fox of being partisan (very much like the chart has MSNBC ranked).

I was defending Fox against unfair charges that they are untruthful.
0 Replies