Why I left the Democratic Party

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:34 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Dude, these people who are hard-pressed to get here risk their lives. Ain’t no damn wall gonna stop anybody.

History seems to indicate that walls are in fact able to keep people from crossing them.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:35 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
C’mon, man. Gimme something I can work with.

If you want DACA to pass, you're going to have to let Trump build his wall.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:36 am
@camlok,
camlok wrote:
The wall should be painted every few feet on the Mexican side with a large sign;

WE STOLE THIS LAND FROM YOU PEOPLE IN ANOTHER OF OUR FAMOUSLY ILLEGAL WAYS AND WE DON'T WANT YOU COMING TRYING TO GET IT BACK!

Hiroshima and Nagasaki were military targets, and Japan did not offer to surrender until after both A-bombs had been dropped.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:37 am
@Real Music,
Real Music wrote:
The democrats used the nuclear option to force Obama cabinet nominees through, because the republicans were not allowing up or down votes of his cabinet nominees at an unprecedented level.

Hardly unprecedented. The Democrats had just done the very same thing to Bush. And for no reason other than spite.

If the Democrats don't want to lose fights, they should stop picking fights.

I don't mean the Democrats shouldn't take a stand on things that are important. But when they blocked Bush's nominees out of spite, they weren't making a stand on principle. They were just picking a fight for no reason.

Real Music wrote:
Let's be clear, cabinet positions are not lifetime appointments. The democrats never used the nuclear option to force Obama's federal judges or supreme court nominees through. The then Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made sure that the nuclear option only applied to cabinet positions and not be applied to lifetime federal judges or supreme court nominees. This is a clear important distinction.

I acknowledge the distinction. I don't see why it matters.

If you go up to a biker gang and punch one of them in the nose for no reason, they might do more to you than just punch you in the nose.

Real Music wrote:
As I stated above, the democrats never used the nuclear option to force through any federal judges or supreme court nominees. Only, this republican congress is guilty of this behavior.

The Democrats picked the fight. The Republicans won the fight.

Moral of the story: Don't pick unnecessary fights.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:38 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Not to mention "a dose of their own medicine" would have been to apply the same rules to cabinet picks...not SCOTUS picks.

Using an analogy, what the democrats did was like taking a vicodin and what the republicans did was mainline heroin. A 'dose of their own medicine' would not have included amplifying the issue.

So? More people died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki than died at Pearl Harbor.
layman

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 03:55 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

So? More people died at Hiroshima and Nagasaki than died at Pearl Harbor.

Exactly, Roy. We just done what they done, sept for mo bigga and mo betta, that's all.

Say hello to my little friend.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 06:15 am
The White House must be figuring that only full funding for a stupid wall is all that will seal any deal to reopen the government. Resist.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 11:52 am
Now a brief interlude
revelette1

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 12:42 pm
@edgarblythe,
I hope this time, doubt is proved wrong and they really do open up the debate. Right now, the democrats were not blamed for the shutdown too much, but I think if it went much longer, we would have been and then I doubt we would have even had the words from McConnell about opening up debate for immigration.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Now a brief interlude
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXjoRLVzJYY[/youtube]

We shall see.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:17 pm
@revelette1,
If Dem polling didn't find that they were being blamed for the shutdown, they wouldn't have caved.
revelette1

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Perhaps, perhaps not. We did get firm words from McConnell with a Feb.8 timeframe.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:48 pm
Andy Borowitz

Schumer Accepts Republican Promise to Return His Balls at Later Date
maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 01:54 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Andy Borowitz

Schumer Accepts Republican Promise to Return His Balls at Later Date

In 3 weeks, when CHIP has been funded and DACA recipients have a path to legalization and citizenship, I hope you see you here apologizing for your shortsightedness (again).
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:31 pm
@maporsche,
The Dems can take no credit for funding CHIP

The DACA "Dreamers" had this path all along

Sorry, but your tribe screwed the pooch
Baldimo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:32 pm
@maporsche,
Maybe a legal path, but not Citizenship. I don't think the majority actually support citizenship.
maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:36 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
CHIP should never have been defunded in the first place. It was a horrible, heartless move from a bunch of "compassionate christian conservatives" (or is that no longer a political group in Trump's government).

What path did DACA participants have? Some vague 'promise' to talk about it sometime in the future. Now we have a firm date. Deadlines spur action, as a businessman, I'm sure you've heard and agree with that phrase.

I don't think the shutdown screwed anybody.
maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:37 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

Maybe a legal path, but not Citizenship. I don't think the majority actually support citizenship.

All immigrants here in some legal way have a path to citizenship. I would support giving these individuals a quicker path, but simply by allowing them some legal framework for work and green card's/etc is putting them on a path to citizenship (if they choose that route).
Baldimo

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:56 pm
@maporsche,
That's the problem, the Dreamers are not legal residents, they are illegal immigrants.
maporsche

Reply Mon 22 Jan, 2018 02:59 pm
@Baldimo,
Baldimo wrote:

That's the problem, the Dreamers are not legal residents, they are illegal immigrants.

Yeah, I know. That's the whole point of this DACA fix that the Democrats are trying to get debated.

Hopefully we'll get some agreement on making these dreamers legal residents, which will put them on the same path to citizenship as any other legal resident.

Best case (in my view), is that these dreamers get fast tracked some how.