Why I left the Democratic Party

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:37 am
https://www.npr.org/2018/01/04/575579698/howard-dean-calls-for-a-new-generation-of-democratic-leaders

Quote:
DEAN: The most important age group for us is people under 35. They elected Barack Obama in 2008. But now it's time to let them take over. And they're going to have to take over on their own terms. We have tons of talent in our party. We do not need to rely on my generation anymore. And these kids think differently. They're more respectful of each other. They're willing to listen to each other's ideas and work things out. They're entrepreneurial. They're more conservative than we are economically than the left wing of the Democratic Party. They're mostly libertarian.

I just think this is the future of America. They are diverse. They value immigration. They value different kinds of people. They believe that gay rights is the civil rights issue of their time. They care deeply about the environment. We need a real change in this country and the only way to do it is for us to get out.
revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:30 am
@ehBeth,
Well, I am not in favor of the libertarians, they are basically against the government in everything, both domestically and foreign. I think we can get young people without getting an austere government. I would rather lose.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:34 am
@revelette1,
Did you read the article about what is happening in Alaska?
Real Music

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 11:58 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Did anyone followup with these people? what's happened for them in the past four years?

I don't know if anyone did any followup of these people or what they've done in the past four years. I came across that link and thought it would be interesting to post. I guess anyone can google or Wikipedia any of those people to find out more about them.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:01 pm
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:
. I would rather lose.

you'd rather have #45 than progressives?
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 12:35 pm
@ehBeth,
or DINOs pretending to be progressives...?
revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:16 pm
@ehBeth,
I am not sure to which article you are referring to. I am just saying, the post you I replied to said the new young people are mostly libertarians. I would rather be on the extreme left than vote for a libertarian, no offense to libertarians.
revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:17 pm
@Lash,
glass houses...
0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:18 pm
@ehBeth,
No, perhaps I misunderstood the piece.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:20 pm
@revelette1,
There are libertarians on the left and right.

____

When you've got some time - read the entire article on what's been happening in Alaska.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:23 pm
I don't see anything in all that about breaking dependence on big money pacs or ending the endless wars. Looks like putting young people in old people's niches with no real change.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
The young politicians in Alaska are doing things very differently.

The NPR interview with Howard Dean indicates that he sees the changes coming to politics with younger voters and politicians. He's obviously still more interested in the Democratic party than the folks in Alaska (and those following their playbook) who are choosing to go outside the party.

__

The reality is we're all too old to matter. Even maporsche is past the target demographic.

We can watch what's happening and comment on it but the reality is that for the most part it's changing without us. We're all some variant of old/white/male.

I wish them luck and will continue to help their Canadian counterparts.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:32 pm
@ehBeth,
If they would do the same thing in Texas I would be deeply impressed. If they turned the Democrats from establishment dinos to true progressives I would be even more impressed.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:35 pm
@edgarblythe,
They're not turning Democrats into anything. They're stepping around them.

One of the interesting things they were able to do was to get Democrats to agree not to run.

Again, for anyone interested in how change can happen - read the article on the young politicians in Alaska.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 01:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If they would do the same thing in Texas I would be deeply impressed.

if it matters to you find out who's active in Texas and send them an email to encourage them - or email the people in nearby states and encourage them.

https://www.centristproject.org

The source of The Centrist Project came from the Alaska experience

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/12/how-to-turn-red-state-blue-purple-alaska-politics-2018-216304

Quote:
A tiny group of political renegades is transforming one of the reddest states in the country through a surprising strategy: ignoring their own party.

Quote:
But what’s been less noticed, even in Alaska, is the role played by millennials who, rather than spending years working their way up on the team, instead reinvented the playbook. Three men in particular—Kreiss-Tomkins, Forrest Dunbar and John-Henry Heckendorn—have pointed the way to reviving progressivism in the state by recruiting new, outsider candidates, teaching them how to win, and connecting them with fellow travelers. In bypassing traditional channels—which in Alaska, as everywhere else, tend to elevate predictable, uninspiring pols who have paid their dues—they’ve propelled a wave of untested candidates with little experience and even less party identity, but who believe in the economic populist agenda shared by a coalition of labor, environmentalists and the state’s large, politically engaged Alaska Native population.

Their emerging coalition has been a boon for the Democratic Party, of course, but what’s remarkable is how little of this transformation has depended on the party. To the extent that the Democratic Party has helped in its own revival—and in transforming Alaska from deep red to a blue-ish purple—it was in part by getting out of the way. As progressives across the country try to pry Republicans out of power, they have important lessons to learn from a state where they are wrongly thought to have no power at all.

Quote:
Whenever I asked about the progressives’ winning streak, how they went from a 10-seat superminority in 2012 to a majority today, people pointed me to three men: Kreiss-Tomkins, Dunbar and a political consultant named John-Henry Heckendorn. According to the story I kept hearing, these three young progressives—at 33, Dunbar is five years older than the others—had found candidates who could win swing districts, coaxed them to run, and taught them how to win. All while persuading labor and Democratic Party elders to support their untested candidates, rather than more experienced pols who had paid their dues.

Quote:
In a state where 26 percent of voters are registered Republicans and only 15 percent are Democrats, there were districts where a progressive could win, but not if he had a “D” next to his name. Hall got organized labor to work with Ship Creek. “We chose districts where people could run as an independent,” Hall says. “And then we were able to keep the Democrat out of the race. Because in a three-way race, the Republican wins.”

lots more at the link
revelette1

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:05 pm
@ehBeth,
I read for the most part the piece about the new young Alaskans turning the state purplish. I agree, they are mobilized. However, I don't agree with being pro-gun to exclusion of sensible gun safety laws nor do I agree with big oil without big environmental laws along side it. I noticed it said in Alaska the three big things the young'un's are for are pr0-choice, pro-guns and pro-oil. With independents there always seems a catch. With all the gun deaths in the US, I don't think we need more pro-gun people.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:10 pm
@revelette1,
Keep reading.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:15 pm
Quote:
The progressives did manage to end the much-loathed tax credits for the oil industry, but even with the governor on their side, they couldn’t overcome Senate intransigence to create an income tax.

<snip>

But this is a one-year stopgap plan, which will do nothing to close the long-term structural deficit, which, unless oil prices zoom up again, isn’t going anywhere. If they raid the budget reserve for another year or two, it will be gone, at which point conservatives are likely to go after the annual oil dividend paid to residents; progressives will argue that a better path will include some kind of state taxing power, and for that, they’ll need to win even more seats—increasing their majority in the House, and eventually taking the Senate.

Dunbar, Heckendorn and Kreiss-Tomkins are cautiously optimistic.

Heckendorn is now running strategy for Governor Bill Walker, an independent who won after the Democratic candidate agreed to stand down and run as Walker’s lieutenant governor. (Because of his new job, Heckendorn refused to speak on the record.) One of Heckendorn’s last successes as a consultant before handing Ship Creek over to a lieutenant in January 2016 was to conceive of Measure 1, a referendum that passed in November 2016 and which automatically registers all Alaskans to vote when they submit their application for the oil dividend. Since everyone wants their oil dividend, this reform should get Alaska to near 100-percent voter registration in 2018—and the new voters are likely to be relatively poor, more heavily Democratic, and sympathetic to a progressive income tax. Meanwhile, Anchorage’s reputation as a diverse, progressive city, the oil recession, and the state’s coming marijuana economy—pot shops are slowly opening around the state, after a 2014 ballot measure legalized pot sales—are likely to skew the population more liberal.

But as Dunbar, Heckendorn and Kreiss-Tomkins see it, the changing demographics alone are not sufficient to win anything. They are just an opportunity, one Democrats will need the right candidates in order to capitalize on.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I keep in touch with PDiddie because he has an ear to the ground. When I see anything interesting, he always has knowledge of it. It's hard to find a Democrat who is not either hiding or pretending to be a Republican around here.
Real Music

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 02:26 pm
Democratic Party recent (fifty-state strategies).

Quote:
Howard Dean pursued an explicit "fifty-state strategy" as chairman of the Democratic National Committee, putting resources into building a Democratic Party presence even where Democrats had been thought unlikely to win federal positions, in hopes that getting Democrats elected to local and state positions, and increasing awareness of Democrats in previously conceded areas, would result in growing successes in future elections. Democrats who supported the strategy have said that abandoning red states as lost causes only allowed the Republican Party to grow even stronger in areas where it was unchallenged, resulting in lopsided losses for Democrats in even more races.[2]

During the 2008 United States presidential election, Barack Obama attempted a form of the fifty-state strategy to reach into deep red states to try to flip them. This was largely based on Obama's appeal during the primaries in very Republican states, like the Deep South, and the Great Plains states.[3] In September, Obama scaled back his fifty-state strategy, abandoning Alaska and North Dakota and reducing staff in Georgia and Montana. John McCain's choice of Sarah Palin as his running mate made winning Alaska very unlikely for Obama, and she also had strong support in North Dakota.[4] Obama was ultimately able to win Virginia and Indiana, two states that had not voted Democratic since 1964, and North Carolina, last won by a Democrat in 1976. Additionally, the margins of victory in the four aforementioned states were considerably closer than they had been in 2004.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifty-state_strategy
0 Replies