Why I left the Democratic Party

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 08:42 pm
@ehBeth,
Sure - it wasn't the "I seriously doubt he would just quit" part of Olivier's post I was addressing. And I don't actually think MLK would have "equated" Dems and Reps either ... but he could be skeptical enough about both, and with reason.

Part of the reason I added on that post was that I felt the image Olivier was sketching of MLK was a bit all too heavy on the hope-and-love side. To my mind, though that's probably unfair to Olivier, it evoked the broader white-washing of King in cinematic history, which has portrayed him as a kind of Obama avant-la-lettre rather than an increasingly radical systemic critic of the whole US political and economic order.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
All of that ties into what I was trying to say too. But vice versa, there's two things worth noting in this:

- MLK had a lot more reason to be skeptical of the Democrats then than he would have now, because the party still had a sizable, openly segregationist Dixiecrat wing. You can blame a mealy-mouthed, centrist strand of 'Hillary Democrats' for many things, but they're not Dixiecrats by a long shot. Even the Blue Dogs are all gone. The party's elected representatives are much more coherently aggregated on the center-left than they were then. That's still hardly good enough ... but it is a real difference.

- Per your quotes, King urged his supporters "and all people of goodwill" to vote against Goldwater, saying that his election "would be a tragedy, and certainly suicidal almost, for the nation and the world."' It wouldn't be a stretch to assume he'd have given Trump the same treatment. Only question is which Democratic nominee(s) he would have been willing to actively endorse, the way he said he would probably have endorsed JFK had he lived to 1964. Kennedy wasn't exactly a progressive lion either - as far as I've understood, he was actually relatively cautious in implementing policy on both race and economics compared with LBJ - so apparently he was willing to be pragmatic to some degree about endorsing a Dem nominee if the opponent was dangerous enough.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:02 pm
dropping off a reminder to myself

I'd like to find the transcript of tonight's portion of this series to share

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/ideas-for-january-2018-1.4470411

Quote:
CANADA'S ORIGINAL PROMISE: Still waiting to be realized
Mohawk education advocate Roberta Jamieson was the first woman chief of Six Nations of the Grand River, the first Indigenous woman to earn a law degree in Canada, and she holds an astounding twenty-five honorary degrees. She believes Canada is at a make-or-break historical moment where it has a chance to recast its historically toxic relationship with First Nations for the next 150 years. She sees the hope for that renewal in the very moment of contact between settler Europeans and her ancestors: "Our people consciously decided to share. And we had a choice. We were the majority then. And we made a conscious decision to share. And to help people survive. So I think we still have that choice as Canadians. And I'm very optimistic and very hopeful -- and I'm going to work very hard to see that we live up to that promise.

Ms. Jamieson message applies to everyone wanting to change things for the future.

(she also talked at some length about the importance of phone calls - to politicians and to media)
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:10 pm
@ehBeth,
couldn't find a transcript but did find the podcast

https://podcast-a.akamaihd.net/mp3/podcasts/ideas_20180112_56832.mp3

the last 10/15 minutes were powerful

seven is a very powerful number in her community

she talked about how what we are fighting for is our great-grandchildren's great-grandchildren. seven generations away but people we can envision/imagine.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 09:27 pm
@ehBeth,
still not the transcript but a piece of the lecture

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/ideas/canada-s-original-promise-still-waiting-to-be-realized-1.4185851

Quote:
"I'm asking you to take an active role, a supportive role. An active role in building Canada for the next 150 years. Find Indigenous movers and shakers in your area and ask them: what support do you need? Support Indigenous organizations and charities doing the kind of work that needs doing. Enroll in cultural competency courses. Call your Member of Parliament, talk to your Provincial elected representative, and ask: what are you doing to push real action in implementing the Truth and Reconciliation calls-to-action? What are you doing to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples? Do you know what it says? Did you know we've accepted it in Canada? And keep calling until you get the answers

and a piece of the host's reaction

Quote:
There is, however, a problem connected with the comforts and conveniences of being back home. Daily existence in a familiar environment can sometimes be just a little bit too comfortable. One of the most important spinoffs from travelling to foreign places comes when the traveller is forced to confront, and even reconsider, some of the convenient assumptions that are too often taken for granted.

Roberta Jamieson did that for me. I won't say it was always a pleasant experience. In fact, there were moments when her lecture made me feel uncomfortable, or even painful. But I will say that I was sincerely grateful for the wake-up call -- even when it hurt. She asked some extremely unnerving questions

discomfort can be good
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 10:08 pm
@nimh,
King would have insight into the oligarchy seizing the nation and he would have been after both parties, so I am convinced. I can't speak for him and nobody else can.

Voter suppression is another one he would have crusaded against.

He would have been appalled at Trump and likely would have voted Hillary. His presence would have turned the election. But he was smart enough to know better than to trust the Democratic Party as it exists today.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 12 Jan, 2018 11:47 pm

Faces of the Democratic Future.

Young leaders on the future of their party.

http://prospect.org/article/faces-democratic-future
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 07:03 am
@Real Music,
Three of them spoke out for economic justice. We need a stronger emphasis on that.
revelette1

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:09 am
@Real Music,
Thanks RM, interesting people with real ideas. I am glad to see young adults engaged in wanting to run for office.
Real Music

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Three of them spoke out for economic justice. We need a stronger emphasis on that.

I agree.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sat 13 Jan, 2018 10:17 pm
@revelette1,
Quote:
Thanks RM, interesting people with real ideas. I am glad to see young adults engaged in wanting to run for office.

It is definitely wonderful seeing young men and women engaging in the issues. It's great to see young men and women running for office. Young democrats running for office can help ENERGIZE the democratic party.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 07:06 am
I bet I know who MLK would’ve been working for, side by side, probably as a post-term president who’d already made some of the changes Bernie espouses now—if he could get through it without another assassination.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=a2BtaHi16jY

Bernie lauded and shaking that finger at Ebenezer.

MLK was no supporter of incrementalism.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 07:32 am
@Lash,
If he was alive today, MLK would likely BE the president...
Lash

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 08:53 am
@Olivier5,
That’s what I said.

Quote:
I bet I know who MLK would’ve been working for, side by side, probably as a post-term president who’d already made some of the changes Bernie espouses now—if he could get through it without another assassination.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:02 am
@Real Music,
Did anyone followup with these people? what's happened for them in the past four years?
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:05 am
https://www.sacurrent.com/the-daily/archives/2018/01/03/julian-castro-launches-pac-to-help-young-democrats-take-back-congress

Quote:
Castro launched Opportunity First, his brand-new political action committee meant to propel younger Democrats into office (and eventually regain control of Congress).

Castro, who was replaced as the U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development by Ben Carson in January 2017, has three specific types of "young, progressive" candidates in mind: Those who are running to unseat Republicans in the U.S. House of Representatives, those running for office in states with majority-Republican state legislatures, and people with "exceptional talent" running for local office.

It doesn't come as a total surprise, since Castro has focused on backing younger Texas Dems since leaving D.C., like when he went door-to-door campaigning for Mayor Ron Nirenberg or endorsed civil rights attorney and former NFL player Colin Allred in the race for Texas' 32nd Congressional District.

Plus, Castro and his twin brother, Congressman Joaquin Castro, are textbook examples of the PAC's sought-after candidates — both men kicked off their political careers in their mid-20s.

Some see the new PAC as a step toward Castro eventually running for president in 2020, but he's dodged the question.

"The thrust of Opportunity First will be to support people who are running in the 2018 cycle. I'm happy to do it," he told the Texas Tribune in a Monday interview.

But let's not pretend "Opportunity First" isn't a loud-and-clear response to "America First."
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:09 am
I still say it's not enough to campaign on the basis you are not one of those awful Republicans or that you are young.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:18 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

Did anyone followup with these people? what's happened for them in the past four years?

Good question.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:23 am
@ehBeth,
this piece is fascinating

longish but really interesting to see what young politicians can do

Quote:
a most unusual thing has happened: Alaska—which elected Sarah Palin governor and has not supported a Democratic presidential candidate since Lyndon B. Johnson—has turned from red to a bluish hue of purple.

Throughout the state, unknown progressives, like the kind Kreiss-Tomkins once was, have been winning.

Before the elections of 2012, conservatives controlled all the major seats of power in Alaska: the governorship, both houses of the Legislature, and the mayoralty and city assembly of Anchorage, where 40 percent of the state’s 740,000 residents live; now, progressives and moderates control all of those offices but the state Senate, which has been gerrymandered beyond their control.

More than half of the 40-member Alaska House of Representatives has been newly elected since 2012, most of them Democrats or independents; together with three moderate Republicans, they have remade the Democratic-independent caucus into a 22-18 majority.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/01/12/how-to-turn-red-state-blue-purple-alaska-politics-2018-216304

Quote:
operatives in the rest of the country are slowly taking notice.

Among them is Nick Troiano, executive director of the Centrist Project, an effort to seed a movement of pragmatic, non-ideological candidates at the state and federal levels.

He believes that Alaska can be the template for other closely divided states, like Colorado. “By combining a smart political strategy with professional tactical support, [John-Henry and Ship Creek] have accomplished what few have been able to outside of both parties: prove it’s possible to win,” Troiano tells POLITICO Magazine.

But as Alaska’s insurgent Democratic-independent coalition is finding out, it’s one thing to be the scrappy upstart with nothing to lose, and a whole other thing to govern and hold on to power.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 15 Jan, 2018 09:25 am
@ehBeth,
I really can't recommend the article on Alaskan politics enough to people who are interested in independents moving America forward.