Why I left the Democratic Party

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 05:35 am
It won't be enough to get elected on the grounds that one is not Trump. To be all hat and no cattle as they say is to set us up for the next Trump. Progressive rhetoric without progressive results is playing into the far right's hands.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 08:44 am
@edgarblythe,
Of course it has to be acted upon. Do you think I was advocating smoke and mirrors?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 08:54 am
@Olivier5,
My post was not aimed at you. Just pointing out for those who eschew knowing what got us to this point since they seem to think it happens in a vacuum.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Progressive rhetoric without progressive results

kind of hard to get results without being elected first
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:19 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
The problem was that nobody really knew for sure that HRC would try to implement it. Her take on policy issues is notoriously unstable.

HRC unstable? she's about as focused and process-oriented as a human can get. Regrettably she's got about as much large group charisma as Elizabeth Warren, which is on the far side of none.

but they're all gone now - HRC and Sanders are well past their sell-by dates

___

Time to focus on young non-traditional candidates. Literally get the party started/re-started.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Once elected rhetoric without results is ensuring the next Trump.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:25 pm
It's not Hillary's charisma or lack of it at the heart of the problem. She is not good presidential material.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:33 pm
@edgarblythe,
Getting elected has to happen first.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:36 pm
@edgarblythe,
She was the best of the two options available to the US, but focusing on her is irrelevant.

She is gone. Sanders works only for himself. He truly is an independent. He has proven himself irrelevant.

___

New young candidates who are willing to work for America need to be focused on. People everywhere, who care, need to be making the phone calls now. I have friends in New Mexico who are already making calls for potential candidates in Texas and Louisiana.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:41 pm
@ehBeth,
People who will make a difference need to be focused on. A young dolt needn't get elected just because he is not Trump.
maporsche

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 01:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

People who will make a difference need to be focused on. A young dolt needn't get elected just because he is not Trump.

I'll be honest, "Mr or Mrs. Not Trump" with a willingness to veto these Republican passed bills, put better judges into lifetime positions, and not know how to use a Twitter account is more than enough for me right now.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 02:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
A young dolt needn't get elected just because he is not Trump.

I'll absolutely take that as a minimum over anyone who has any whiff of Trump.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 02:03 pm
@ehBeth,
We've gotten what we tolerated as a nation. If the left doesn't stiffen up and get some constructive goals it won't matter much who wins the next elections.
maporsche

Reply Tue 9 Jan, 2018 02:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
You act like things in this country haven't gotten better over the last 20-30 years.

Have you heard the phrase "the perfect is the enemy of the good?"
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 04:05 am
@edgarblythe,
Are there any individual(s) that you would like to see run for president in 2020?

Are there any individual(s) in the democratic party you would like to see run for president in 2020?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 05:08 am
Nina Turner
Tulsi Gabbard
Bernie Sanders
Dennis Kucinich

Disappointed that I don’t feel comfortable putting Elizabeth Warren’s name on this list.
Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 05:09 am
I wonder if the GOP will challenge Trump.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 05:39 am
@Lash,
I can go with that list, for now. Sometimes, as with Jimmy Carter, an unknown comes in to take it.
Lash

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 06:37 am
@edgarblythe,
I wish a new generation of much younger progressives would show up on the horizon.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2018 06:40 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree that the Dems need a fresh start, including ideologically. They have to integrate the critique from OWS and Sanders of their third-way policies and of their cosyness with business. Unless they do that, I agree that electing Democrats won't make any significant difference.

If corporate stooges manipulate the system, it makes no difference if they paint themselves in red or in blue.

This said, i find your take on the present day Dems too cynical. Give them a chance. In a time of national emergency, the people need constructive thinking, not constant crying about spilled milk.