Why I left the Democratic Party

Olivier5

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2018 10:34 pm
@oralloy,
You're against dogs?
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 06:53 am
@Olivier5,
I'm a cat person, but I don't have anything against dogs.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 07:36 am
@oralloy,
So what is your avatar supposed to mean?
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 07:42 am
@Olivier5,

this --

https://i.imgur.com/ZOwEHbo.jpg
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:09 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
So what is your avatar supposed to mean?
It means that I'm a conservative Democrat.
Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:13 am
@oralloy,
Booooo yah!
Priceless.

Sort of like Hillary and Pelosi.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:16 am
@oralloy,
Whatever...
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:27 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
Sort of like Hillary and Pelosi.
They are moderate Democrats. As such, they are pretty close to me politically, and I like many of their policies.
Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 09:32 am
@oralloy,
I’ve noticed several of your approvals of Clinton policies. She appeals to a wide swath of moderate Republicans.

What distinction between the two leads you to call yourself a D rather that an R?
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:42 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
What distinction between the two leads you to call yourself a D rather that an R?
I generally like the idea of a strong social safety net funded by (reasonably) high taxes on the very rich.
Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:56 am
@oralloy,
You’re more liberal than Hillary. LOL!

Welcome.
oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 11:08 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
You’re more liberal than Hillary. LOL!
It depends on the issue. I was actually torn on who to vote for in 2016.

A liberal friend helped me decide on election day morning by sneering and telling me that I didn't need to worry about guns because all they were going to do is ban assault weapons.

I think it was somehow an attempt to convince me to vote for Hillary. But it actually made it clear that I really needed to vote for Trump regardless of all the other things I liked about Hillary.
Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 03:57 pm
@oralloy,
It’s interesting to see which side of the aisle some issues wind up on.

Gun rights seem like they’d fit into the liberal category: allowing vs restricting.

(Shrug)
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:17 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I generally like the idea of a strong social safety net funded by (reasonably) high taxes on the very rich.
It rarely happens, but we are in agreement. I happily voted a thumbs up for your post.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:22 pm
@oralloy,
Who are you and what have you done with oralloy.

All the things you liked about Hillary

Such as?
Lash

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
He loved her tough foreign policy as SOS. Such a Warhawk. I remember that well. I used to ding resident “Democrats” about that routinely.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 08:51 pm
@Real Music,
Well, that's nearly 200 more black women who are idiots like Maxine.

“Disparaging or failing to support Congresswoman Waters is an affront to her and Black women across the country and telegraphs a message that the Democratic Party can ill afford: that it does not respect Black women’s leadership and political power and discounts the impact of Black women and millennial voters,” the letter says.

I'm sure Waters took it as an affront, and clearly, nearly 200 black women did as well, but to contend that it was an affront to black women across the country is idiotic. Suggesting that all black women in America think like her and condone everything she says is an insult to black women. Even if she wasn't an irresponsible, corrupt harridan, it would be an insult.

News Flash! Black people don't all think alike. Every black American isn't insulted if a black person is justifiably rebuked...even if the rebuker is a white Jewish male.

I think it's closer to the mark to contend that Waters affronted every Jewish American across the country when she joined in a mutual admiration society exchange with vitriolic racist and anti-Semite Louis Farrakhan at a Nation of Islam conference.

Waters was encouraging mobs to form and harass people with differing political views. It is uncivil and it is un-American.

I give Chuck Schummer full credit for his statement on the Senate floor.

I wonder now if he has the guts to stick to it. I knew from Pelosi's weak remark that she was likely to crumble at the first sign of a blowback and I was right:

Responding to the letter, Pelosi said in a statement, “Congresswoman Maxine Waters is a valued leader whose passionate call for family reunification should be heard without any threats to her safety.”

“Donald Trump has sullied the bully pulpit with reckless disregard for the safety of others,” she (Pelosi) continued. “He should stop his attacks on Congresswoman Waters and all Members of Congress, the free press, and all Americans who have the right and the responsibility to speak their minds.”

Unless of course, they are Trump supporters or members of his administration. Those people should be harassed in public by mobs for speaking their minds.

How anyone can defend Waters is beyond me --- and citing comments by Trump is not a valid defense. He was wrong to talk about punching protesters at his rallies, and he was wrong to label the entire news media the enemy of the American people, but neither comment provided Democrats with a free pass to say something similar.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 11 Jul, 2018 10:55 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Such as?
I like a foreign policy that is "robustly muscular" but at the same time works with our allies instead of antagonizing them and boldly going it alone.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:14 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Who are you and what have you done with oralloy.

Don't worry, Oral is just posturing here, like Lash does all the time. Hypocrisy is the homage of vice to virtue.
oralloy

Reply Thu 12 Jul, 2018 12:22 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Don't worry, Oral is just posturing here,
No. What I do is post facts and defend the innocent.

Olivier5 wrote:
like Lash does all the time.
Or maybe she is honestly expressing her views.

Olivier5 wrote:
Hypocrisy is the homage of vice to virtue.
I represent virtue in that equation.
0 Replies