Why I left the Democratic Party

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 09:51 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
It would be great if we had a right-wing party that did the same too.
We do.

The only time the Republicans perpetrate abuses is when they are giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 09:52 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maporsche wrote:
It would be great if we had a right-wing party that did the same too.
We do.

The only time the Republicans perpetrate abuses is when they are giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine.

We don't. Fact.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:07 am
@maporsche,
orolloy, Please provide examples.
Quote:
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:08 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
We don't. Fact.
That is incorrect. The only time the Republicans perpetrate such abuses are when they are giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:11 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
orolloy, Please provide examples.
An example of the Republicans giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine would be Bill Clinton's impeachment.

Another example of the Republicans giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine would be blocking Merrick Garland from the Supreme Court.
maporsche

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:12 am
@oralloy,
You are factually incorrect.

I'm not going to waste my time proving it to a zealot like yourself, but you should know that I know how incorrect you are and how it's proven incorrect almost every day.

That IQ must have taken a hit.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 10:18 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
You are factually incorrect.
No. The only time the Republicans perpetrate such abuses is when they are giving the Democrats a dose of their own medicine.

maporsche wrote:
I'm not going to waste my time proving it to a zealot like yourself,
It's not really possible to prove the impossible.

maporsche wrote:
but you should know that I know how incorrect you are and how it's proven incorrect almost every day.
You cannot point out any examples of this supposed occurrence.

maporsche wrote:
That IQ must have taken a hit.
No. Still going strong.

My brain isn't quite the wonder it was in my youth, but I'm still extremely good at facts.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 11:57 am
@oralloy,
If you repeat those lies long enough, maybe they gonna turn true?
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:06 pm
@Olivier5,
No lies. Everything that I said is completely true.
Olivier5

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:10 pm
@oralloy,
I don't think so.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 01:59 pm
Progressive Democrats increasingly criticize Israel, and could reap political rewards

Quote:
For decades it was seen as too politically risky, but this midterm cycle a growing number of Democratic candidates have begun openly criticizing some of Israel’s policies.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, the first-time candidate who upset 10-term incumbent Rep. Joseph Crowley in last month’s Democratic primary, incorporated criticism of Israel’s actions into her campaign, condemning what she called a recent “massacre” in Gaza and calling on more Democrats to focus on the struggle of Palestinians.

“There is no justification. Palestinian people deserve basic human dignity, as anyone else. Democrats can’t be silent about this anymore,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted in May.

Ocasio-Cortez's tweet drew the type of condemnation and backlash that politicians could expect whenever saying anything negative about Israel. The Republican Jewish Coalition, for instance, immediately took a shot at Ocasio-Cortez, calling her victory “a harbinger of the decline of Democrats’ support for Israel.”

Some progressive groups have long championed the Palestinian cause, but they were often perceived as on the fringe of the Democratic Party and its platform. James Zogby, the president of the Arab American Institute and former advisor to Reverend Jesse Jackson’s presidential campaigns, has been pushing Democrats to support the Palestinian cause for over 30 years.

Public opinion polling shows that sentiments have indeed shifted, especially among Democrats. According to a Pew Research poll conducted earlier this year, Democratic voters sympathize about equally with the Israelis as the Palestinians, with sympathy for Israel dropping 16 percentage points in the last two years.

Even as Democratic voters drifted away from their previous steadfast support for Israel, Democrats in elected office have been slower to follow their base. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer has continued to take ardently pro-Israel stances, as he was one of just four Senate Democrats to vote against the Iran Deal in 2015.

Earlier this year, Schumer sponsored legislation that would criminalize boycotts against Israel that he has derided as “an anti-Semitic movement.”

In Virginia, 5th District House candidate Leslie Cockburn faced allegations
from local Republicans that she was “virulently anti-Semitic” for a 1991 book she co-wrote that was strongly critical of Israel and its intelligence ties to the United States. Cockburn’s campaign has denied that her book was anti-Semitic and since engaged with the local Jewish community.

Nevertheless, Cockburn has not backed down from her criticism of the Israeli government’s actions. She still enjoys endorsements from leading Democratic and progressive groups like EMILY’s List and the League of Conservation Voters.

It's very difficult in this period of fascistic nationalism to advance support for the Palestinian peoples. But it's good to see people with the courage to buck the trend and speak against Israel's oppression and subjugation of the Palestinian peoples.

One nation, democratic, pluralistic and egalitarian for all of the peoples of Palestine.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
Excellent article. I've been an advocate of Palestinians after my two visits to Israel. Palestinians do not enjoy any semblance of a democracy. Many of the Palestinian villages and cities are walled in. There is no democracy on this planet that defines a democracy where one culture must live in walled villages or cities and must have a different colored license plate to limit their travel. Palestinians are required to live under different rules and regulations. That is not a democracy.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/things-palestinians-cant-do_us_586554d4e4b0eb58648895bc
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:23 pm
@oralloy,
A consentual sexual encounter that became public doesn't make Bill Clinton a federal felon. That he lied during his trial was the worst thing he did.
Quote:
Five weeks later, on February 12, the Senate voted on whether to remove Clinton from office. The president was acquitted on both articles of impeachment. The prosecution needed a two-thirds majority to convict but failed to achieve even a bare majority. Rejecting the first charge of perjury, 45 Democrats and 10 Republicans voted “not guilty,” and on the charge of obstruction of justice the Senate was split 50-50.

oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:49 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
I don't think so.
Notice your inability to point out any facts that I am wrong about?

There's a reason why you can't do that.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:50 pm
@InfraBlue,
ABC News wrote:
Progressive Democrats increasingly criticize Israel, and could reap political rewards
Antisemites do like voting for other antisemites.

Mainstream American voters aren't much for antisemitism however.

InfraBlue wrote:
It's very difficult in this period of fascistic nationalism to advance support for the Palestinian peoples.
And the reason for that is because the Palestinians like to murder children all the time. Most Americans disapprove of stuff like that.

InfraBlue wrote:
But it's good to see people with the courage to buck the trend and speak against Israel's oppression and subjugation of the Palestinian peoples.
Telling a Palestinian that he can't murder children is hardly oppression or subjugation.

InfraBlue wrote:
One nation, democratic, pluralistic and egalitarian for all of the peoples of Palestine.
Not much chance of that. Most Americans find disapprove of people who like to murder children.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've been an advocate of Palestinians after my two visits to Israel. Palestinians do not enjoy any semblance of a democracy. Many of the Palestinian villages and cities are walled in. There is no democracy on this planet that defines a democracy where one culture must live in walled villages or cities and must have a different colored license plate to limit their travel. Palestinians are required to live under different rules and regulations. That is not a democracy.
They are not walled in. They are walled out of a country that they have no business entering.

As for whether the Palestinians have enough democracy, take that up with the Palestinian government.
oralloy

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:
A consentual sexual encounter that became public doesn't make Bill Clinton a federal felon.
Committing federal felonies to cover it up, however, does make him a federal felon.

cicerone imposter wrote:
That he lied during his trial was the worst thing he did.
The term for that is "perjury".

The term for when Bill Clinton sent Betty Currie out to hide evidence from the Starr investigation is "obstruction of justice".

The term for when Bill Clinton tried to coach Betty Currie on how she should testify is "witness tampering".
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:54 pm
@oralloy,
Your logic is fascinating: It doesn't exist.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:54 pm
@oralloy,
Nuh-uh.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2018 02:57 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Committing federal felonies to cover it up, however, does make him a federal felon.

But the Senate made the correct decision not to prosecute it further. Case closed. A consentual sexual encounter does not equate to a federal felony. Only in your tiny brain.