How Much Tolerance Should We Have for Hitler?

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
Smile That was a fairly short lived, but volatile thread, wasn't it? Xior just sort of swept in like a hurricane, then vanished....

I think in a lot of ways Hitler was pushed beyond the brink of his being able to cope, personally and professionally (as the power head of the Nazi regime). I doubt there was one single factor that made him who he "was", but like all of us, a lifetime collective of experiences, disappointments, joys, failures and definite control issues. The psychological factors that made this man tick, we'll never know for certain, but can only surmise.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:40 pm
I think he would have been a better artist than he was a politician. So much for being rejected at Vienna.

Yeah, Xior just vanished. I hope it's not because I'm here...
I've checked and I still don't have PM priviledges. There used to be this really good site for learning Latin, but now I think it's gone.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:48 pm
Lucifer wrote:
I think he would have been a better artist than he was a politician. So much for being rejected at Vienna.

Regarding the truely poor examples, which I saw, I doubt that.

Regarding what could have been, if he had passed the exams at the art academy - it would have been the better choice for all of us!
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
Lucifer wrote:

Yeah, Xior just vanished. I hope it's not because I'm here...
I've checked and I still don't have PM priviledges. There used to be this really good site for learning Latin, but now I think it's gone.

Continual rejection of some people can cause immeasurable damage to their psyche. Others, like telephone solicitors, deal with it hundreds of times a day and it just rolls off their backs like water on ducks. I guess it is how we are being rejected though that really matters....

Xior may be gone because he didn't have the strength to keep battling you and losing. It's a nice thought. Smile

PM privileges may kick in around the 500 post mark, but I'm still not definite. And please, feel free to converse in latin all you like. I have a good imagination and a unquenchable thirst for knowledge to find out the rest. Smile
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:00 pm
I've heard he was rejected because folks at the academy said he didn't have any skill. If he had someone to guide him and teach him how to use his skill in arts, it might have been better.

If you want to learn some Latin, post a new topic at the languages forum (let me know), or I can show you what I know on another topic as well.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:20 pm
Actually, Hitler tried it twice:

first time on October 2, 1907. Out of 112 candidates, 27 were allowed to start studying (same relation as in the last couple of years, btw), second time the following year.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:23 pm
His mother died somewhere around the time he applied for the academy. I don't remember if it was the first or second try.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:28 pm
I find it ironic that Hitler never intended to become a public servant, as his father wanted him to, and he ended up being one.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
Lucifer wrote:
If you want to learn some Latin, post a new topic at the languages forum (let me know), or I can show you what I know on another topic as well.

I will most definitely let you know. Although my greatest fear would be that I was not quite as apt of student as you could hope for. Your last line intrigues me greatly though.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:42 pm
Well, Hitler actually was a public servant:

January 25, 1932, he became a Senior Civil Servant at the state government of Brunswick (Department for Cultural and Surveying Affairs, delegated to Brunswick embassy in Berlin).
The reason for this, however, was just that by this he could gain the German citizenship.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 01:46 pm
That's my point. I wonder if he was aware of that--that he had wanted to be what his father didn't want him to be, but ended up doing what his father wanted.

Lady J, we'll see if you are an apt student. It's not like I'm going to quiz you or anything. You can screw up as many times as you want.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:29 pm
Where and how did you learn, Lucifer? And does your patience and tolerance come from your eternity of dwelling where most men fear to go?
I find your patience very refreshing considering how busy you must be all the time...
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
Yes. I'm so busy that I have to learn to multi-task. I'm now experimenting on writing two different things at the same time.

I learned my Latin off of that website, and a few other sources, but I don't have any formal education on Latin.

Patience and tolerance? Well, that depends. If you're going to hell, it's quite obvious, isn't it? Maybe I draw my patience from humor.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:42 pm
Well, it appears the spell has been cast and the desire has been born. Latin it shall be when time is your friend and you wish to share some with me. No promises can I make that I shall be as fluent as you. But I shall give it my all until the time you deem we are through.

To heck with the mushrooms, to heck with the heat, you pick the thread and it is there we shall meet. My days are all Saturdays. Or Sundays or so. On hiatus I am so I have nowhere to go. Open your books, share what you will with me. You're the keeper of time, shall we see what can be?
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
And I might be one post away from getting PM priviledges. But I think I'll start a new topic in the Languages board so that we can discuss it more. Look for something like "Latin Help". I'll post it there so other people can also learn it or correct me, if I make mistakes.

To be honest, I'm not really fluent at it, being that I'm not from Vatican, and I don't really speak it natively. I just know the basic grammar and sentence structure. I draw my vocabulary off of a dictionary, but supposing Xior knows everything, he should have known that when I spoke to him in Latin.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 09:04 pm
I thank you so very kindly. I look forward to this. Smile
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:34 am
Your name is lucifer and your learning latin. Your not try to conjure up the prince of darkness are you?
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 10:00 am
Hmm, maybe...if the world pisses me off enough, I just might do that.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 04:05 am
Any person in a position of power that causes alot of people in his own country and others to die for his own beliefs,sucks!!!!

We all have traumatic experiences to live through but I dont think taking your country to war has any connection with it.

In my opinion if somebody points a gun at me Il do what they say.Its fear that makes us weak.People with guns sadly have the upper hand.
0 Replies

Lucifer

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:11 am
I read somewhere that he was paranoid and insecure. He wanted to show the opposite sex that he had power so they would be attracted to him.
0 Replies