What made you smile today?

chai2

Reply Mon 24 Sep, 2018 01:45 pm
Got a flat tire 2 blocks from my house (office building construction). By the time I got in my driveway, completely flat.

That's not a smile, but the 12 minutes it took AAA to get here sure was!

I haven't had to call them in years. Now you can track to the minute online when they will arrive.

That must be a real comfort if you are stuck on the side of the road. If you have a signal that is.

Now I'm off to the tire place....another not a smile.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:40 am
in my FB MOFA group

Quote:
and a dress I am trying to get done for a wedding Saturday (and am still in the Muslim stage.)

muslin

muslin girl muslin

Laughing
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 11:42 am
@ehBeth,
Got the results of my lab work, and everything looks fine. *smile
George

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 01:28 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Glad to hear it
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 06:48 pm
@cicerone imposter,
good news indeed!

hamburgboy also just got some good bloodwork results - he's going to celebrate with an extra shrimp cocktail Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 25 Sep, 2018 07:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Shrimp cocktail sounds much better than my Taco Bell's 3 hardshell taco with beef. LOL.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 26 Sep, 2018 09:55 am
My little friend E has a baby brother as of 11:54 p.m. yesterday.

Very happy for K and M and little E.

Welcome baby Jonas
izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2018 01:11 am
Maybe it's just a gimmick, but I hope not. It's always nice to be first.

Quote:
One of the UK’s largest bus and rail operators has launched the country’s first air filtering bus in an effort to tackle air pollution.

The Go-Ahead Group unveiled the Bluestar bus in Southampton on Thursday claiming that the new filtration system attached to the top of the vehicle will clean the air as it moves around the city.

Go Ahead chief executive, David Brown said: “We are going a step further in the potential for our buses to actively clean the environment. It’s a huge development in our environmental leadership and we are also proud to be pioneering the prototype in the UK.”

The diesel bus is fitted with a specially designed filter that its inventors say will remove ultra-fine particles from the air and trap them as the bus moves through the streets. The filter then allows the bus to blow out more pure air so that the air behind it is cleaner than that in front of it.

Brown said Southampton had been chosen for the prototype as the World Health Organization revealed that the city is at its limit of unsafe air pollution. It is also one of five cities tasked with drawing up air pollution plans by the government. Brown said that if the trial is successful it could be rolled out to Go Ahead’s entire fleet of more than 5,000 buses.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/27/uks-first-air-filtering-bus-launches-in-southampton
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Sep, 2018 06:11 am
Sounds like an electrostatic precipitator. Hope it works.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Sep, 2018 01:01 am
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Got the results of my lab work, and everything looks fine. *smile

Wonderful
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 02:26 pm
NY Yankees
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 02:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Met little Jonas yesterday. Handsome little 8 day old. I was his first babysitter during his first trip to the Danforth Smile 15 minutes of me, baby Jonas and the pack - Bella and Agnes Smile while MamaK went into the Coffeetime for a dutchie and a lunch sandwich. Jonas' dog Agnes was very protective of her baby - no dog - other than Bella - was allowed nearby.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 03:42 pm
@ehBeth,
My automatic watch stopped working. I took it to a good watch repair shop. It took him a few minutes to open it, do something inside the watch, close it, and bingo, it was working fine. $14.95. Our garage to kitchen door lock was not working well, it was stuck in the lock position, so I went to Lowes and bought a replacement handle. When I got home, the replacement door handle didn't have the gut of the door handle with the lock, so I just reinstalled what I removed. Bingo~! It's working. Took the handle back to Lowes for a refund. No problem.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 4 Oct, 2018 04:34 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

in my FB MOFA group

Quote:
and a dress I am trying to get done for a wedding Saturday (and am still in the Muslim stage.)

muslin

muslin girl muslin

Laughing

Are you sure she isn’t talking about a wedding burka??
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2018 06:59 pm
https://static.fjcdn.com/large/pictures/14/3f/143fb3_5265272.jpg
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 02:42 am
Quote:
An Indian bus driver has been suspended - for letting a monkey "drive" his bus.

This is despite not one of the 30-or-so passengers on board the vehicle in southern Karnataka state complaining about their furry chauffeur.

However, when a video of the relaxed - and apparently competent - langur monkey taking the wheel went viral, the human driver's employers took action.

The safety of passengers cannot be put at risk by "allowing a monkey on the steering" wheel, a spokesman said.

Somewhat unsurprisingly, this has not been an entirely popular decision with internet users delighted by the short clip.

"So sweet. Why suspend. He should have been warned not to repeat this," Parag Heda tweeted.

The incident took place on Monday, according to the government's road transport corporation - which only learned of the unusual driver's actions after the video went viral.

According to witnesses, the monkey boarded the vehicle with another passenger but refused to sit anywhere but up front as the bus travelled around Davanagere.

The driver, named as M Prakash, seemed to be unconcerned by this turn of events, allowing his new friend to sit on the steering wheel as they continued their journey.

In fairness to Mr Prakash, he does appear to have one hand on the wheel at all times. And in fairness to the monkey, he does seem to be paying attention to the road ahead - although whether he had mastered the mirrors is unclear.

According to reports, the monkey eventually reached his destination and left the driver to carry on with his day.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-45772168

0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2018 07:59 am
It's "Columbus Day". Some folks have it off, others don't. I don't. But
thanks to all those folks who have it off, my commute was breeze.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2018 08:49 am
@George,
This cartoon from Itchy Feet...
https://i.imgur.com/COBWjf9h.jpg
... a comic about travel and language by filmmaker Malachi Rempen, is a "Map of Every European City".
In the comments, the cartoonist says, "Having been to every single European city, I can safely say with confidence that they all look exactly like this".
He's correct, but the red light district is missing.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 07:33 am
@Walter Hinteler,
It's nothing new that women defend themselves against men:

https://i.imgur.com/ydMCg4x.jpg
A group of ladies defend themselves from the unwanted attention of a group of knights, in a marginal illustration in the Luttrell Psalter. BL Luttrell, 75v.

The Luttrell Psalter (British Library, Additional Manuscript 42130) is an illuminated psalter commissioned by Sir Geoffrey Luttrell (1276–1345), lord of the manor of Irnham in Lincolnshire, written and illustrated on parchment circa 1320–1340 in England by anonymous scribes and artists. wikipedia
chai2

Reply Fri 12 Oct, 2018 07:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
What are they defending themselves with? Flowers?

There’s your problem.