What made you smile today?

farmerman

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 05:45 am
@chai2,
Im so fuckin far out in the sticks I have no idea who Jeff Spicoli even is, and why did this kid grab his sneakers?? CANT WE JUST GET ALONG??
Lash

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 06:43 am
@farmerman,
Spicoli—Sean Penn iconic character from Fast Times at Ridgemont High.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:08 am
Made a $220 sale on items I bought on clearance for a total of $12.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 29 Apr, 2018 11:51 pm
@chai2,
Wasn't it Mr spock who famously said "Live long and Prosper"?
farmerman

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 05:07 am
@glitterbag,
no he wrote kids books about spoiled eggs
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 05:37 am
My daughter is finishing up her first year of college next week (she is more than a 10 hour drive away) - she keeps texting me about stuff she needs to pack and/or put in storage and really nonsense sort of stuff - I can read between the lines she is excited about coming home - certainly puts a smile on my face.
George

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 08:28 am
@Linkat,
Wow, first year done already?
Stock up on food and laundry detergent!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 30 Apr, 2018 10:53 am
My daughter agonized over a video double interview project due in journalism class today. The two interviews went in slightly different directions than she’d anticipated, and we talked all weekend about how to pull them together. Her prof is exacting, and I was so proud of her level of scrutiny on the product.

Also loved how she valued my opinion.

She gave me a quick text of thanks and ‘holy hell, here I go’ before she walked in class.

Many more congratulatory comments than constructive criticism from prof tough guy. She’s overcome daunting shyness to approach people for interviews and conduct them. I’m so proud of her.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 06:54 pm
What made me smile today? More than a smile; I'm still hyperventilating. I lost my billfold in Cuba, NM on Sunday so canceled all credit cards. Monday got temporary driver license (DMV is much nicer that their reputation) and fought major battle with Social Security Admin. They won - no card for Roger.

Today, Tuesday, I received a mysterious package from Cuba. My billfold! Totally intact, including, as the guy said, all the money the wind allowed. I had invested lots of time and some cash trying to reconstruct everything, but still. . . . Oh, by return mail, I made sure the guy wasn't out anything for his time, mailing expense, and humanity.

I'm been on a serious adrenalin high for the past two days, but today it's for a much better reason. Thank goodness for total strangers.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 06:58 pm
@roger,
Oh my gosh, how wonderful.....restores your faith in mankind.
roger

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 07:03 pm
@glitterbag,
For sure.

Know what? If you lose all that stuff, including identification, it's almost impossible to identify yourself well enough to get replacements. In fact, without ID, you almost become a non-person.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 07:18 pm
@roger,
Now you made me smile.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 1 May, 2018 07:24 pm
@roger,
I'm gonna be in big trouble if I lose my wallet. In addition to my driver's license, credit cards, AAA membership card,US passport card, Medicare card, library card, and a few $$$, I have my tip information sheet. Without it, I'll be lost.
jjorge

Reply Wed 2 May, 2018 04:02 am
@roger,
Glad at how it ended. For you, of course, but also for the knowledge of one more kind person out there. It's good to hear these stories.
Kindness begets, kindness.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 6 May, 2018 01:30 pm
@jjorge,
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 02:04 pm

bumper sticker --

MY DOG HAS BETTER VALUES THAN TRUMP
roger

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 02:29 pm
@Region Philbis,
and your dog is an amoral son of a bitch.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 02:57 pm
@roger,
Moving house, going through old cds. Came across an old ELO cd, played this. A bit corny but always brings a smile, especially as today was a really beautiful day. (Just not that good if you're lugging furniture about.)

0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 03:06 pm
Also this.

Quote:
Southampton took a huge stride towards securing their Premier League survival and simultaneously relegated West Brom with victory at Swansea City, who are now perilously close to joining the Baggies in the Championship.

Manolo Gabbiadini's strike means the Swans are now three points adrift of Southampton - and safety - and will go into Sunday's final game of the season occupying the final relegation spot.

Southampton's considerably better goal difference over Swansea means even a defeat at Manchester City will keep them up, as long as the Swans do not make up a 10-goal swing when they face Stoke.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43353971
lmur

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 05:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Tough on WBA manager, Darren Moore who was named Manager of the Month on the same day his team were relegated.