What made you smile today?

glitterbag

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 05:07 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm gonna be in big trouble if I lose my wallet. In addition to my driver's license, credit cards, AAA membership card,US passport card, Medicare card, library card, and a few $$$, I have my tip information sheet. Without it, I'll be lost.

Might be a good idea to keep your passport at home, my daughter-in-law's wallet was stolen at the mall, everything except her passport was stolen. It would have taken much longer to renew her license without the passport. As you would expect, the banking info and credit cards were stolen and neither she or our son could withdraw cash because the accounts were frozen until new cards were issued.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 05:44 pm
@lmur,
I know, I'm not gloating, just relieved. It's been a bloody terrible season, we've just scraped through.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 8 May, 2018 06:54 pm
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DcsAzrkVQAEI-sA.jpg

nope
nope
haven't seen your croissant
why do you ask?
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2018 09:36 pm
A Canadian team made the semifinals in the nhl playoffs, for what seems like first time since they played outside.

Keep the faith, Canada!!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 10:14 am
Listened to Piya Chattopadhyay's interview with James Comey earlier today. There was a reference to his height at the beginning ... and then another newscaster on the CBC said there was a photo on twitter so I had to go look

I didn't just smile, I laughed

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dc6alQoWkAEpks4.jpg

I've met Piya. She's not a tiny tiny human. She's shortish but not a shrimp. He is Tall!
ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 May, 2018 10:18 am
@ehBeth,
the interview itself made me smile - Piya did a great interview - made him much more human than I'd expected. He wasn't as pompous as he's sounded in some interviews. They had a few really good laughs together.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 10:41 am
The mother of my grandchild is one of the most impressive people I know. She hit the ground as a new mother well-read on the task at hand, but more so, imbued with some preternatural serenity about motherhood.

She is a McGyver-y, thinking badass.

In previous days, I’m wracking my brain trying to think of anything she may like for Mother’s Day, not even imaging that she may be considering giving me something. I’m not her mother...

She found some material that lends itself to the efficient watering of plants, designed and constructed my indoor planter, researched herbs that align with my favorite Asian and salad dishes, found the plants, and planted them for me.

I’ll never be able to communicate to her what I think of that gift.

The ability to hone in on a person to this degree is an incredible talent.

My grandbairn couldn’t have a lovelier mother.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 13 May, 2018 10:36 pm
My social services agency had a small and special dinner earlier this evening. I was invited.

The table was set with candles and flowers. A live pianist played in the next room. The food was wonderful.

Glad I was invited and glad I went.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 14 May, 2018 03:43 pm
3 little girls in their school uniforms gathered around a 4th girl who had her leg propped up against a pole and had her bandaid pulled back so they could admire the scab on her knee. Then she carefully covered it back up. The whole procedure was completely sterile.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 08:36 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

3 little girls in their school uniforms gathered around a 4th girl who had her leg propped up against a pole and had her bandaid pulled back so they could admire the scab on her knee. Then she carefully covered it back up. The whole procedure was completely sterile.

Is this supposed to be in the bad joke or ... good joke section because if so? It went atmospherically over my head.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 10:06 am
I awoke to bad news. The air conditioning failed to work. But I'm smiling because somebody I know gave me a brand new capacitor to put on the condenser. It works fine, now.
Ragman

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 01:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
At my former apartment complex, their maintenance department in Sarasota FL (nearly constant cooling demand for 9 months) used to change the capacitor pretty regularly. They hd some older A/c units and who know who or what was supplying their capacitors. Could've been surplus or used ones they swapped in.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 01:42 pm
@Ragman,
Last year my friend gave me a used one. This time, right out of the box. My capacitor problems spring from neglect on my part. I failed to clean the outside coils. Unable to breathe, the condenser blew out the capacitor. This year I cleaned them more thoroughly than ever.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 May, 2018 09:00 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

chai2 wrote:

Is this supposed to be in the bad joke or ... good joke section because if so? It went atmospherically over my head.

No, not a joke.

Just 3 little girls examining the scab on another girl who was showing it off.

Just like kids have done for thousands of years.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 May, 2018 11:06 am
This bit of 'graffiti' I saw on a bus shelter today.

https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/32776573_10156525145928130_8403128193506082816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1a3e77d81a601e539e1c99ee877ad2b5&oe=5B507BB3
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 28 May, 2018 04:45 pm
real life politics time

provincial election in 10 days

the PC's (progressive conservatives) were well in the lead at the start of the election

now the NDP's (new democrats) are tied in the polls (leading in some)

no chance the Liberals will get in again after 15 years in power

__

looking good so far

my preferred outcome would be an NDP minority govt with Liberal/Green support

but an NDP majority could work

__

can't imagine what how if could work if the PC's got a minority - no one is willing to play with them so we'd have another election right quick

I think a PC majority is still a possibility but it will be hard to make those numbers work

__

smiling as the NDP have come out of the basement and may have a chance at some kind of power role here again

could be a very very good thing for our province

<taking a small curtsey for my rl role in moving a few strategic votes toward the NDP>

things are changing so rapidly in the polls

it's kind of wonderful in political nerdland

this is from about half an hour ago

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-election-2018/ontario-ndp-and-pc-party-locked-in-tight-election-race-poll-1.3949034

Quote:
The Mainstreet Research poll surveyed 1,682 voters from May 27 to May 28.

The poll found that the NDP currently sit at 39.3 per cent support among decided and leaning voters, while the PCs sit at 37.3 per cent. The Ontario Liberal Party sits at 16 per cent and the Green Party of Ontario has 4.5 per cent support.

The latest Mainstreet poll puts the NDP up 10 points from Mainstreet’s previous poll on May 18, while it indicates a dip of nearly five per cent for the PC Party.

“Doug Ford has blown the large lead he had in March and the Ontario election is a competitive affair,” Mainstreet Research President Quito Maggi said in a news release attached to the poll. “The question facing Ontarians is whether Ford or Andrea Horwath will get the keys to government for the next four years.”

Other polls released last week also put the NDP in the lead, with a Forum Research poll putting their support as high as 47 per cent.

Horwath has to stay on the attack.

another bonus, we'd have another female premier

boom!

ehBeth

Reply Wed 30 May, 2018 08:55 pm
squeeeeeeeee

Carole Pope liked one of my FB comments

I didn't realize we had a mutual RL friend/acquaintanc
e
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 04:33 pm
I'm a big Red Sox fan, of course, but as math person I always smile at this:

Code:
AL East Standings (before today's games)

TEAM W L GB
New York 36 17 0.5
Boston 39 19 -
Rays 28 28 10.0
Blue Jays 25 32 13.5
Orioles 17 40 21.5

In first place, half a game behind the second place Red Sox, you have the New York Yankees.
(I guess Google orders them by winning pct.)
Roberta

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2018 05:52 pm
@Kolyo,
I'm not a math person, but I'm smiling anyway. Go Noo Yawk!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 7 Jun, 2018 02:46 pm
@ehBeth,
voted

not for the party I support but a strategic vote to get funding for a 4th party

options

they're a good thing

0 Replies